Sioux Falls

Old Titan

Regardless of what transpires this last week of the regular season, there appears little chance of ORU finishing better than the 4 Seed in the conference tournament bracket, or worse than the 5 Seed.

The same can be said for South Dakota, which puts the Golden Eagles in an eerily familiar case of "deja vu all over again".

Remember those two years in a row when the Mid-Con tournament was played in Kansas City, and ORU had to face host UMKC in the first round of a similar middle-standings match-up?

Both times, ORU was upset by the lower-seeded but inspired Kangaroos, who promptly wilted in the semi's the next night.

This year, it will be the Coyotes playing the role of local hero upstart when the two teams likely meet at 6:00pm on Sunday night in the 4-5 match-up.

Curious to see who South Dakota State fans will be rooting for (literally and figuratively) in that game:  the only program they might prefer to see stumble more than ORU would probably be USD, but state pride may rule the day in this scenario.

not sure it matters who ORU faces in Sioux falls...i think they have checked out. 

i look for NDSU to roll easily Thursday in Mabee.

not sure it matters who ORU faces in Sioux falls...i think they have checked out. 

i look for NDSU to roll easily Thursday in Mabee.

I hope you're mistaken, with this being the last week of the season, at home, etc. 

(...might feel differently if these games were on the road.)

Billbury suspended???.....GEEZ!!!......what's the scoop???....this is a killer.....what is going on with this group?....if true, the season has officially turned into a disaster.... . :sweat:

Regardless of what transpires this last week of the regular season, there appears little chance of ORU finishing better than the 4 Seed in the conference tournament bracket, or worse than the 5 Seed.

The same can be said for South Dakota, which puts the Golden Eagles in an eerily familiar case of "deja vu all over again".

Remember those two years in a row when the Mid-Con tournament was played in Kansas City, and ORU had to face host UMKC in the first round of a similar middle-standings match-up?

Both times, ORU was upset by the lower-seeded but inspired Kangaroos, who promptly wilted in the semi's the next night.

This year, it will be the Coyotes playing the role of local hero upstart when the two teams likely meet at 6:00pm on Sunday night in the 4-5 match-up.

Curious to see who South Dakota State fans will be rooting for (literally and figuratively) in that game:  the only program they might prefer to see stumble more than ORU would probably be USD, but state pride may rule the day in this scenario.

I will be in an ORU fan in that game, so will the vast majority of SDSU fans there.

The Denver game on Saturday night will be no walkover....they already have beaten us once and pounded South Dakota on the road last night.....the same Coyote team that whipped ORU at Mabee Center 12 days ago..... :|

No walkover, but I definitely like our chances of either beating Denver at home or IPFW losing than both going against us. And I'm not even sure how the tiebreaker works out of they do.

OT - I remember both of those UMKC games in KC because I travelled to both of them.  We had pretty good teams those years as well, but Michael Watson was in the zone in each of those games and because he was so talented he would get the benefit of the doubt from the refs and draw fouls when his shots weren't falling.  It was too much to overcome.

When you think about it, the Mid-Con must have been fairly strong those years if ORU and UMKC were 4 and 5 seeds.  It must have been when Valpo, Oakland, and IUPUI also had pretty decent teams.

Even more unlikely than ORU's win tonight was IPFW inexpiicably losing at home to last place Omaha.

Thought for sure the Dons would sweep these two last home games to finish 10-6, and with their win over SDSU, they would hold the tiebreaker over ORU if they, too, finished 10-6.

But with their loss tonight, IPFW leaves the door open for ORU to slip Into the 3rd Seed, and possibly relegates themselves to facing SDSU in the semis in front of that partisan Sioux Falls crowd. Crazy...

• Upvote 1

Even more unlikely than ORU's win tonight was IPFW inexpiicably losing at home to last place Omaha.

Thought for sure the Dind would finish 10-6, and with their win over SDSU, they hold the tiebreaker over ORU.

But with their loss tonight, they've left the door open for ORU to slip Into the 3rd Seed, and relegated themselves to facing SDSU in the semis in front of that partisan Sioux Falls crowd. Crazy...

Shocking loss for the Dons to the Mavericks tonight at home, especially since IPFW had won 7 of their last 8, with the only loss a 4 point roadie at NDSU.

There is a HUGE difference between the third and fourth (or fifth) seed in the tourney.  Fourth or fifth gets us South Dakota or IPFW in the first round and (likely) SDSU in the semis (if we survive).

Third seed gets us Denver in the first round and (likely) NDSU in the semis, two teams that we have played well against on the road during the season and taken care of at home the week before.

Amazing how the perspective can change within three hours... we've gone from "likely one and done" to "realistic shot at reaching the title game".  Crazy...

Amazing how the perspective can change within three hours... we've gone from "likely one and done" to "realistic shot at reaching the title game".  Crazy...

I'm not sure that a career night from Obi is going to change my perspective. If it takes that plus a 20 point night from Bobby Word to beat NDSU what should we reasonably expect to need to win 3 games in a row? Ugh. I know ... pessimism sucks but I'm willing to be surprised. 

• Upvote 1

We are a jump shooting team who lives or dies with our 3 point shooting and overall jump shooting percentage. That is why we need to emphasize the post game more for nights when the shots aren't falling.

As my kids have heard me say many times: things are never as bad or as good as you think they are.

Losing Korey from this squad is huge. It is hard to take that many minutes (33.9), points (14.7), rebounds (7.6), assists (2.7), etc. away from the team and not have it affect things. Last night Emegano and Word made up the difference. We will need others to step up (Young, Harris, Henderson, Owens, Conley) to fill the gap.

...just as long as Singleton does not see any extra minutes.

Dude was the Bison MVP in the second half; spearheading their comeback with timely turnovers and poor shot selection.

• Upvote 2