South Dakota at ORU

theeagleman5

Did anyone listen to the post-game radio interview? I was a little disappointed in the track that it took . . .

that's a guy that was not happy with his players' performance.  i tuned in to the coach's show to see if there would be any more said.  he said that they hadn't -- but at times they looked like a team that had packed it in for the season against USD.  however, he went on to say they came back with a spirited, tough practice.  i guess the proof will be in the pudding this week with a couple of road games.

I know to  most it may be unthinkable but maybe we need a change at the helm?

i don't know how much pressure is on Coach Sutton. he has done so much for ORU in his 16 years and built up a ton of goodwill.  add to that, that i don't think think winning in athletics is as important to Mart Green (the ultimate decision maker at ORU) as it was to OR and RR.   i don't think Dr. Wilson is running into any post game locker rooms and yelling "Is this what I'm spending all that money for?" (ala Richard)

if this team finishes mid-pack in the conference race and an early exit from Sioux Falls, then Coach Sutton will have some tough choices ahead.  he deserves the chance to right the ship, because the last few years seem to indicate that things are headed in the wrong direction.  i'm sure they can look at the same rosters like we did above and know they are not getting the caliber of player they were 10 years ago.  that goes to talent evaluation, development, recruiting philosophy, etc.  there has to be more to it than the loss of Corey Williams and later Tom Hankins from the staff.  he will have to evaluate everything top to bottom and figure out how to get it fixed (kind of like what Bob Stoops is trying to do w/OU football right now).

...there has to be more to it than the loss of Corey Williams and later Tom Hankins from the staff. 

Not so sure about that... :doh:

(...but I thought your post was excellent.)

• Upvote 3

Not so sure about that... :doh:

i know that's a part of it, but if that all it is, we're in trouble.  like Rick Pitino would say "Corey Williams is not walking through that door, Tom Hankins is not walking through that door...". 

let's hope we are over reacting to a bad home loss to USD and this team is about to go on a big roll heading into Sioux Falls.  not sure they have shown anything to make us think that, but we can always Expect A Miracle.

Eh, I like Tom & Corey, but I don't think their absence is why we've slipped a little over the past couple of years.

And, we are still over .500, with a brutal non-conference schedule.

I think we just need a couple of the new recruits to really stand out and a couple of the youngsters make strides in the off-season (Owens, Harris, etc.). We need one or two of them to be our next Chad Wilkerson. A guy that played sparingly as a freshman, but became conference POY material by the time he was a junior/senior.

And, from what I hear...the transfer from Fresno is going to be our answer at point guard. We'll see.

Eh, I like Tom & Corey, but I don't think their absence is why we've slipped a little over the past couple of years.

And, we are still over .500, with a brutal non-conference schedule.

I think we just need a couple of the new recruits to really stand out and a couple of the youngsters make strides in the off-season (Owens, Harris, etc.). We need one or two of them to be our next Chad Wilkerson. A guy that played sparingly as a freshman, but became conference POY material by the time he was a junior/senior.

And, from what I hear...the transfer from Fresno is going to be our answer at point guard. We'll see.

Name five D-1 opponents this year that ORU was markedly more talented than.

Just got steamrolled at home by a recently D-II team, with a first-year coach and a .500 record, from freaking South Dakota.

And once again, we're resorting in February to, "Wait'll next year!"

Times sure have changed when it comes to measuring success at 81st & Lewis...

The bar has certainly been lowered at ORU it seems....for just about all sports to be honest....Scott Sutton has done a very good job at ORU overall but after 16 years his act is getting stale,,,,,i hate to see anyone loss his job but changes really need to be made....if not the head coach then his staff needs some tweaking.....if Scott can't get us back to the top of the Summit and an NCAA berth in the next year or two.....TheEagleman would vote to go in a new direction starting with the AD.....but then again....nobody is asking me..... :|

I think that may be a little drastic, Eagleman. It's not like we are 7-18 and non-competitive.

Every program, even the UCLA's, Indiana's, & Kentucky's of the world, go thru slumps.

A couple of breaks and some hot shooting down the stretch and we still have a very realistic shot at winning the conference tourney and making the NCAA tournament.

I hear ya, Voice....Coach Sutton surely deserves a little time to try and turn this around.....maybe next year???.... :nerd:

Has anyone else been blown away by the depth of coverage that Ben Johnson has provided this season, not only for ORU basketball but the Summit League as a whole?

He has really taken the ball and run with it, and this from a non-salaried "stringer" who (I think) just gets paid by the story (and I'm not sure he gets paid for everything we see in print in the Tulsa World, even when he generates it)

Now that's what I call dedication to your craft! :clap:

• Upvote 2