South Dakota at ORU

theeagleman5

The Coyotes come to town tonight off a win at Omaha on Thursday.....SD is 12-14 but have lost 4 of their last 6....ORU played poorly at SD two weeks ago but rallied from a double digit deficit in the final 9 minutes to win in the final seconds......TheEagleman expects SD to battle us hard tonight but let's face it.....this is a game we should and must win.....Billbury is playing better and Emegano has been solid....Henderson has come on of late and we have been getting some bench points from Word and Webber.....Young is also playing a solid PG.....so I feel pretty good about this one.....ORU is currently a 7.5 point favorite which i sort of like....TheEagleman thinks this will be a solid victory for the good guys and we should cover that line.......ORU wins over South Dakota by 80-68................. :nerd:

83-70 loss at home?....we fall behind early thanks to a 17-0 SD run and never really threaten?.........shooting under 40% again and giving up 55%?.....just pathetic....looks like this team isn't going anywhere.....TheEagleman is just about at wits end..... :puke:  :puke:  :puke:

Just a horrible game from the tip....I'm guessin' South Dakota really wanted to avenge that loss at home, a game they probably feel they let get away...Henderson shows up late for the game...REALLY! are you kidding me! Who knows what the first 8 minutes of the game would have been like if he were in...

I had high hopes of ORU running the table the last 6 regular season games...now I'm thinking ORU may go 1-3 in the last 4...this loss is a killer for any CIT or CBI bid, unless of course ORU wins the conference tourney............................................................................................................................................................................

In the 2nd half our big men were not in foul trouble yet we still stuck with the 4 guard lineup. I don't necssarily feel that we will be able to recruit quality big men when they aren't going to get much playing time. How about trying a lineup of Henderson, Owens, Conley, Obi, and Korey at the point. I think we could defend well, rebound well, and score well with that lineup and probably make up an 8 point deficit.

I'm not sure that our current guard heavy rotation makes sense. Why not try to impose your will on your opponent instead of letting them always dictate the tempo. We have no business getting pushed around and out hustled by middle of the road Summit League teams.

• Upvote 1

*sigh"

Wrote a long, critical post about the lack of urgency infecting this team/program, then erased it.

I mean, seriously: what's the point?

Just so frustrated on so many levels, that one bad game feels simply indicative of the overall malaise than it does anything correctable at this late date.

Once again hoping I will be proven wrong, but certainly not holding my breath.

i guess i picked a good game to miss. listening to Coach Sutton's comments, it sounds like he is at his wits end with this team....you can hear the frustration in his voice.

https://t.co/LGPiql0Ley Scott Sutton on radio reacting to #orumbb loss to USD. @tulsaanimal971

— Geoff Haxton (@GeoffHaxton)

February 15, 2015

the crowd shots in these highlights are pretty sad...zero home court advantage

VIDEO: @ORUMBB Postgame vs. USD #ORUMBB #SummitMBB http://t.co/pMXMC6PARZ

— ORU Athletics (@ORUAthletics)

February 15, 2015

I would appreciate our players wearing ORU gear in the interviews.

I have noticed that the wearing of ORU gear, even at the games has dropped off a bunch. Even I'm guilty.

No crowd = no energy on the court = loss.......TheEagleman will be surprised if this team wins even one game in the conference tournament especially if this ORU squad brings the type of effort that it did last night vs. SD.....has to be one of the saddest home performances in many a year.......I was hoping that Obi and Billbury would get this team going down the stretch but alas......it's all very sad....very sad..... :|

I'm not sure it's a malaise or lack of effort. I think it's simply a matter of we just aren't that good. We are a middle of the pack Summit League team. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I REALLY like most of our kids. I just think we don't have enough/the right pieces, to be REALLY successful. We play (for the most part) a 4-guard line-up, yet we don't have great shooters. And, even when our two top 3-point shooters (Word & Harris) get hot, we don't get them the ball. In the first half of the USD game, Harris canned a couple of 3's and then we went several trips without getting him the ball. Then, in the second half, Bobby canned a trey and we then went 4 minutes without getting him another look. When you play 'small ball' and you can't/don't shoot the 3, your options are very limited.

I don't know. I'm just not all that 'upset'. I just think we need a few more pieces, before we can expect much more than the results we've seen.

Maybe I'm seeing things wrong, but it seems like (most of) our guys play hard and with a lot of heart.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to disagree but from what I saw of the game, we played with very little intensity against USD. Of course I was watching via ESPN3 while listening to Hax on Tune-In Radio. However, it appeared to me we played with little intensity.

to voice's point that it's a talent issue....here is a comparison of the junior year rosters of Tutt/Green vs Emegano/Billbury

05-06                    

Green

Tutt

L. Owens

Michalec

Bluitt

Riouse

Ehambe

Vealy

Ogunoye

Fowlkes

Meloy

Liberty (red-shirting)

14-15

Emegano

Billbury

Henderson

Word

Young

Conley

Webber

A. Owens

Singleton

Harris

Wilson

Lee

other than Emegano and Billbury, who on the current roster would see any real minutes on the court with that 05-06 team?

it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's...

• Upvote 1

It's about a LOT of things, talent being just one of them.

But, to answer the rhetorical question:  there's simply no comparison between those two rosters, especially when it comes to SIZE.

• Upvote 1

Well....let's face it.....one of two things is happening....we are recruiting guys who can't play....or we are getting good players who aren't being coached well and not progressing...either way, the coaching staff has to be held accountable for the mediocre play over the past few seasons....TheEagleman understands that this is ORU and not Kansas or UNC....we aren't going to get that kind of student athlete.....but can we please get a decent PG who can distribute the ball?...... :|

Oh, wow! I haven't kept up with SIU. Didn't realize they were struggling that bad.

Not sure it would be in the cards, but would love to have Tom back. I was always a big fan of his.

Did anyone listen to the post-game radio interview? I was a little disappointed in the track that it took . . .