Chima Moneke - JUCO 6'6" (SF)

ORUalum

Appalachian State and Oral Roberts offered 2015 Northeast CC (NE) F Chima Moneke. @Chimdogg_ http://t.co/R0D03XOgoR

— Verbal Commits (@VerbalCommits)

February 11, 2015

edit: this might have sped up ORU and App St decision to offer

Nevada will be in Wednesday to watch Chima Moneke (6'7/F/2015) from Northeast CC (NE): http://t.co/tpR2IluEWZ

— Brad Winton (@JucoRecruiting)

February 9, 2015

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Link to player profile at Northeastern Community College:

https://www.northeast.edu/Athletics/Mens-Basketball/Player-Profiles.aspx

Chima Moneke - 6’7†– SO – Canberra, Australla – Forward

Prep: Chima played in back-to-back Australian high school championships. He averaged a double-double each of the last two seasons. He scored 42 points in one game during his senior year and recorded a 20-rebound game. Chima was listed as one of the top up-and-coming Australian basketball players in the Class of 2013.

College: Chima appeared in 28 games as a freshman, recording 14 starts. Averaged 10.7 points and 7.2 rebounds during his first season as a Hawk. Had a career high 26 points against Indian Hills Community College. Recorded five double-digit rebounding games and had 33 blocks last season.

Major: Health, PE, and Recreation

Parents: Sydney and Eucharia Moneke

Maybe we can get Luke Spencer-Gardner to help recruit this Aussie.

Chima Moneke would be a nice recruit and he has obviously gotten a lot of attention. He is not the big banger that some of us were looking for, but it does appear that he can rebound. From this perspective, he reminds me of Rocky Walls - a rangy, not so tall player who can grab rebounds through technique, effort and a 'nose' for the ball.

I think we have been recruiting him for some time and this 'should' be in our favor. It also can't hurt that we will sign his teammate from NE Community College. Moneke indicates that playing time, team chemistry, coaching staff and weather are all important to him. He is from Australia but originally from Nigeria. I have to think that Obi Emegano will have some impact on his decision.

Here is a link to a story about Chima Moneke from the Team Nigeria Basketball web site last Fall:

http://teamnigeriabasketball.com/tnb-interview-chima-moneke/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=tnb-interview-chima-moneke&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Is the prevailing thought that Chima would be a big get for us? Any scale for how excited we should be if he signs?

Those are some long sleeves on that dude.

When you think about it, I've never understood why a player's overall height should matter, in terms of basketball recruiting measurables.

What difference does it make how far the distance is from the floor to the top of a recruit's head? 

He's not going to be "heading" soccer balls out there.

Here are the physical measurables I would want to see on a basketball recruit:

1.  The distance from the floor to the top of his shoulders.

2.  The width of his shoulders.

3.  His total wingspan.

4.  His vertical reach standing flat-footed.

5.  His vertical leap.

6.  His waist size.

7.  His weight.

If I had those numbers in hand, I would not care how long/short his neck was, or how big/small his head was.

But, without those measurables, we're left instead to studying video to determine if a 6'-6" player can actually play "bigger" than his height might suggest.

In this case. it looks like the answer might be, "Yes".

The kid has a lot of schools interested in him - including us. I assume that the coaches have other options for a rebounder/post player - but this appears to be our top candidate.

Moneke has athleticism and agressiveness - which is a nice combination. Let's hope he decides to become a Golden Eagle.

• 4 weeks later...

Those are some long sleeves on that dude.

When you think about it, I've never understood why a player's overall height should matter, in terms of basketball recruiting measurables.

What difference does it make how far the distance is from the floor to the top of a recruit's head? 

He's not going to be "heading" soccer balls out there.

Here are the physical measurables I would want to see on a basketball recruit:

1.  The distance from the floor to the top of his shoulders.

2.  The width of his shoulders.

3.  His total wingspan.

4.  His vertical reach standing flat-footed.

5.  His vertical leap.

6.  His waist size.

7.  His weight.

If I had those numbers in hand, I would not care how long/short his neck was, or how big/small his head was.

But, without those measurables, we're left instead to studying video to determine if a 6'-6" player can actually play "bigger" than his height might suggest.

In this case. it looks like the answer might be, "Yes".

NBA Draft Combine measurables ("height" is just another number):

NBA releases measurements for everyone at the Draft Combine. Check them out here: http://t.co/RxX3LDS8j8

— Chad Ford (@chadfordinsider)

May 13, 2015