Mabee Center, MJ, Dean Smith and Lon Kruger

ORUalum

i wonder if any photos or video exist of Jordan playing in Mabee Center...

http://newsok.com/kruger-tubbs-remember-dean-smith/article/5391852

Just seven games into his head coaching career, Lon Kruger had his first encounter with Dean Smith and it happened at the Mabee Center in Tulsa.

Kruger remembered the meeting Sunday, a day after the legendary North Carolina coach died.

In December 1982, North Carolina figured to be favorites to win the four-team Oil Capital Classic.

The Tar Heels were coming off a national championship and featured Michael Jordan, Brad Daugherty, Matt Doherty and Sam Perkins.

But in the first game of the event, Tulsa upset No. 17 North Carolina and knocked the Tar Heels into the consolation game against Kruger's Texas Pan American squad.

Pan Am lost to Oral Roberts, 85-76 in the second game.

"It wasn't pretty the next night," Kruger said.

North Carolina led by nearly 30 at halftime and continued to stretch that lead throughout the second half.

With about eight minutes left in the game, the Tar Heels were up by about 50.

Smith walked near midcourt and motioned for Kruger to join him. There were no coaching box restrictions that limited that in those days.

"Lon, you want me to play man or zone?" Smith asked Kruger.

Kruger eventually gave him an answer.

"Playing zone, we could handle it a little bit longer before we shoot it," Kruger said. "But he was serious. He said, 'What do you want me to play?' It was out of hand. It had been out of hand for awhile. He was a terrific guy."

The Tar Heels beat Pan Am 106-50.

• Upvote 1

Great story....Dean Smith was a gentleman.....since condolences to his family....the basketball world has lost one of it's finest coaches.... ;(

I remember a group of us from the Fortress wing going to the Mabee Center to watch North Carolina practice during that tournament.. There were only a few of us in the seats and Dean Smith came out on the floo. He bloew his whislte and the UNC team came around him in a circle-they begin their drills. North Carolina was like a machine, everyone in their place. Michael Jordan, etc.

But, Sam Perkins was missing. He came about a half hour late and looked sleepy. Dean Smith walked over to him said something (he sounded angry) and made him sit by himself in the seats for much of the practice. I wonder what the coach said?