theeagleman5

ORU's lineup down the stretch...

Billbury

Emegano

Word

Webber

Henderson

w/Conley sprinkled in a few possessions

interesting to note that none of ORU's 3 PGs were on the court for the comeback win.

Young, Lee and Singleton were all held without an assist. 

Young, Lee and Singleton were all held without an assist. 

Plus, none of the three is a lock-down defender, or a reliable free throw shooter - very few reasons to have them on the floor in crunch time if those other five players are available.

ORU has GOT to find a big, strong point guard who can knock down free throws and defend similar players in the Summit.  Too many undersized and/or spindly guards on the Golden Eagle roster right now, and incoming prospect Chris Crawford of Victory Christian is also a slightly-built speedster who may struggle with the physical match-ups he will see in conference play.

Finding a juco guard out of the Adam Liberty/Roderick Pearson mold would do very nicely, thank you.

• Upvote 2

Billbury has been struggling the past couple of weeks...we need him to get going again if ORU is going to do some damage in this final month of the regular season and the tournament....TheEagleman hasn't really been watching the past 4-5 games closely...anybody care to comment on Koreys' problems???... :nerd:

He has missed some key FTs at the end of games but he is still our leading rebounder. While he only had 8 points in the last game, I believe he had 10 rebounds.

Yes...Korey has been hitting the boards but his scoring output seems to be down the past few games...just concerning to me...we have been fortunate that Henderson has picked up the slack in a couple games and even Owens had 11 on Saturday....Albert seems to have some skills....bodes wells for the future.....we need some scoring in the paint...  :eagles:

Scouting reports are always better between conference teams - lots of data and first-hand experince to glean from.  Conference teams know that their first goal defensively against ORU is to limit Korey and Obi's opportunities, and force the other guys on the floor to beat them.

It appears to have affected the two players in different ways:  Korey is forcing more contested shots, while Obi sometimes now takes too few shots because of all the attention.

That's why it's so critical for ORU to establish a third "go-to" guy, whether it's Denell, Albert, Darian or whoever - gotta have scoring options other than #15 and #24...

You are very right, OT....ORU must have options other than Obi and Korey....so Hendersons' play has been huge and if Owens can start contributing on a regular basis....look out!....we need to establish that inside scoring presence.....force the other team to guard someone other than #15 and #24....an don't get me started on that again....both those #s should still be RETIRED!!!!!....lol..... :|

Finding a juco guard out of the Adam Liberty/Roderick Pearson mold would do very nicely, thank you.

well said. 

i checked Kyan Brown's twitter feed for any clues.  the only player he's followed recently was Nigerian SF Chima Moneke at NECC in Nebraska....so that might be a name to watch in the future, but that does not address the PG issue.

one thing that seemed to hurt ORU in the first half at SD was the liberal substitutions.  i know Coach Sutton was trying to find a spark, but players were in and out so often that it seemed the team could never find  a rhythm.   he then tightened up the rotation in the second half and rode those 6 or 7 guys to victory.

It is tempting for me to say that we should just cut the rotation down to 7 or 8 players and let them sink or swim. But when Sutton sees players floundering or making the same mistakes over and over again, the urge to change the roster must be irresistible. If coaching was easy, anyone could do it. Somehow we need to find the right player combinations and get them playing together on the same page.... and making shots.

Where is our next Adam Liberty or Roderick Pearson? This team needs a captain at the point guard position.

I certainly don't have the answer, but we have tried many 'small' lineups, often going with 4 guards. Perhaps we should try some minutes with a 'big' line-up?

Denell, Albert, Brandon or Darian, along with Obi & Korey.

Also, I agree with the 'titansforever'.....Korey shouldn't have cut his hair! :clap:

here ya go eagleman...

video:

USD flop/block call....LINK

Henderson late game block...LINK

missed FT and final play...LINK

Thanks Hax for the post of your call. Loved your...

"winner, winner, coyote, dinner!"

It is tempting for me to say that we should just cut the rotation down to 7 or 8 players and let them sink or swim. But when Sutton sees players floundering or making the same mistakes over and over again, the urge to change the roster must be irresistible.

Coach Sutton also appears to have a policy (especially in the second hslf when leading at the break) of "make-a-turnover-and-you're-out-of-the-game", which explains why a couple of laughable times this year Young/Word/Singleton/Lee/etc. have entered the game only to be yanked seconds later for giving the ball away.

Not exactly a formula for continuity!

Coach Sutton also appears to have a policy (especially in the second hslf when leading at the break) of "make-a-turnover-and-you're-out-of-the-game", which explains why a couple of laughable times this year Young/Word/Singleton/Lee/etc. have entered the game only to be yanked seconds later for giving the ball away.

Not exactly a formula for continuity!

Or one that would encourage entry passes to the bigs.

• Upvote 1