Omaha at ORU

theeagleman5

Omaha comes to Mabee Center at 7-9 and on a three game losing streak.....they are 1-3 in the Summit....but the Mavericks are a high scoring bunch averaging 79 points a game which is 24th in the nation among D-1 schools....so this could be an up and down game tonight and fun to watch....Omaha has very balanced scoring with five players averaging in double figures.....they also play a lot of guys with a rotation of 9-10....so I hope ORU is well rested....I mentioned last weekend that we could really use a blowout but TheEagleman is not sure that this ORU squad is capable of blowing anybody out the way we have been playing for the past month....the early line is ORU -7 which i think we can cover....Obi seems to have righted his game and hopefully Korey Billbury gets back in the groove tonight and remains out of foul trouble....Hendersons' game has really improved and maybe Webber has finally woken up......TheEagleman thinks that the Good Guys should come away with a win tonight....maybe not a blow out but a comfortable victory....l am looking for a more complete performance and not a sloppy win.....ORU takes Omaha tonight by 85-74..... :nerd:

I watched a few minutes of the SDSU and Omaha game last weekend (on ESPN FC) and was very impressed with the speed that the Mavericks bring to the game. Their point guard is especially quick - and could give us some serious matchup problems. They are not afraid to throw up a shot at any time in a possession - and from anywhere in the half court - so our defense will need to be very focused. Their challenges are - they aren't very good shooters and they aren't strong underneath the basket. Their philosophy appears to be - if you shoot the ball often enough, you will eventually score.

We should be able to capitalize in the paint - and if we rebound well, this shouldn't be a close game. But their quickness could create a lot of turnovers - and they don't generally turnover the ball at a high rate, because they don't hold onto it for very long. They might also benefit from the famed "Mabee Center soft rims", and find themselves shooting the lights out - which would be a problem for us.

All in all, it should be a very entertaining game. I must admit that I like their pace of play - and I think Ken Trickey would have too!

Will "Run and Gun" basketball make a return to the Mabee Center tonight?....yes, the late Ken Trickey WOULD love it!....and TheEagleman would love it also.....Billbury and Obi should be go for 20+ and ORU covers the spread..... :inlove:

Over the last four games (conference), ORU has shot:

41.3%, 45.3%, 39.3% and 34.0% - for an average of 40.0%. We lost the game that we shot 45.3% (and NDSU shot 42.0%) - go figure.

Nebraska-Omaha has shot:

47.%, 42.1%, 33.3% and 26.9% - for an average of 37.1%. Their opponents have averaged 46.7% FG%.

Their rebounds have been: 38/38, 36/33, 25/34 and 48/46. They have only been outrebounded in one game.

ORU now ranks #1 in the nation in free throws scored as a % of total points scored - 28.4% of all ORU scoring is from the charity stripe.  Omaha is not far behind (30th) at 24.3%.  If the officials swallow their whistles tonight, will either team be able to score???

ORU now ranks #1 in the nation in free throws scored as a % of total points scored - 28.4% of all ORU scoring is from the charity stripe.  Omaha is not far behind (30th) at 24.3%.  If the officials swallow their whistles tonight, will either team be able to score???

Ha! Of course, if the officials don't swallow their whistles the game could last until midnight.

I noticed that Omaha has a player that is averaging over 4 fouls per game and has been disqualified in six games.

I told my son at the IUPUI game that when ORU is playing well and has their best chance to win, they are driving to the basket and either scoring, dishing out to the 3 point line, or drawing fouls and getting to the FT line and making their FTs.

ORU 53-43 at halftime.....somewhere in heaven, Ken Trickey is loving it!...... :wasntme:

fun half of basketball to watch.

also really enjoying the call on ESPN3.  why does ORU contract with Bob Carpenter or anyone else when they have Scott Higgins on staff?  he and Mickey Michalec are doing an outstanding job.

Billbury with 18....Obi has 16....ORU shooting 55% from the field....Omaha 57%.......not a lot of defense being played at Mabee Center tonight..... :nerd:

TheEagleman agrees Alum......thumbs up to Higgins....thumbs down to Carpenter.... :|

79-59 ORU with 12 minutes left to play.....lots of run and gun....btw.....what happened to Billburys' hair???..... :|

ORU rolls 102-86 over Omaha at Mabee Center tonight....Korey Billbury scores 34 and Obi adds 23.....Word and Singleton also in double figures with 12 and 10.....Good Guys shoot 58% from the field (53% from 3 pt range).....very nice win for the Golden Eagles....we are now over .500 at 9-8 with IPFW coming to Tulsa on Saturday night...... :clap:

Yeah....that NDSU loss at South Dakota is a real surprise.....SD is playing pretty good at home but beating the Bison is a bonus for ORU....things are looking a lot better for us than they did about 10 days ago.....it does appear that this season in the Summit is going to be full of twists and turns..... :nerd:

OK, I'm taking a poll.  Who was the bigger tool Wednesday night:  goonish post man Mike Rostampour, who fouled out of his 7th game of the year and drew yet another flagrant foul for throwing an elbow while setting a pick, OR boorish head coach Derrin Hansen, who screamed obscenities across the court at the refs all night long, then stone-faced and limp-wristed the handshake line with the ORU coaches and players after the game?

Omaha is going to be the next Oakland in this league; I can just sense it.  Great facilities, professional leadership with Trev Alberts as AD, lots of money in town to draw on.  The Mavs will be a force to contend with for years to come in the Summit.

But, not before they get rid of those two clowns - they've got "small time" written all over them...