RPI

ORUalum

i thought it might be interesting to see where things stand a week plus into league play.

Summit: 22

Southland: 27

SDSU - 142

ORU- 149

NDSU - 159

Denver - 240

Incarnate - 81   (only 8 D1 games played)

Sam Houston - 93

SFA - 100

Northwestern St - 153

Typical Southland:  the bottom of the league drags their RPI WAY down, despite SFA, NSU and SHSU having pretty respectable numbers.

And all because the Southland conference office refuses to hold member schools accountable for scheduling up in the non-conference slate; that was one of the factors that Mike Carter says convinced him the move to the Southland was a mistake.

The Summit League strength of schedule is still near the bottom of all the conferences, so that is still an area where I would like to see the Summit League teams improve in the future.  

TU beat Connecticut tonight and is 4-0 in their conference.  OU lost again, this time to West Virginia.

Frank Haith must be a decent coach because TU is clearly playing better than they were when ORU beat them to open the season.

TheEagleman watched some of TU at Temple last Saturday afternoon and was impressed with how they have improved in the past 60 days....the Golden Hurricane were down about 10 midway thru the 2nd half and rallied to win against a very good Temple Owls team by 7 on the road.....not an easy task....then a victory against UConn?.....hey....TU might be dancing again in March...who would have thought that after the loss at Mabee Center?...I sure wish that ORU was showing that kind of improvement....TU is now 11-5....I guess the positive way to look at it is that the victory over TU is really helping our RPI at this point..... :nerd:

The Summit League strength of schedule is still near the bottom of all the conferences, so that is still an area where I would like to see the Summit League teams improve in the future.  

TU beat Connecticut tonight and is 4-0 in their conference.  OU lost again, this time to West Virginia.

Frank Haith must be a decent coach because TU is clearly playing better than they were when ORU beat them to open the season.

I was at the TU-UConn game last night, and I must say:  I've never seen so many premier athletes running, and jumping, and not shooting the ball worth a flip.

Lots of bad shots, lots of missed bunnies, even more missed free throws, and lots of sloppy ball-handling.  It was an entertaining game from an effort standpoint, but it may have set offensive basketball back to the Stone Age.

I really do think ORU is just better than TU in certain areas:  better shot selection, better shooters on par (not saying much), FAR better free throw shooting, better rebounding, and deeper bench.

I will say this about TU:  they will defend you, and when they turn you over, they can get down the floor in a hurry in transition.  They played with a lot of confidence Tuesday night, and they seem to be a much more cohesive unit now than in November.

But I sincerely think one of ORU's better efforts might have beaten EITHER team in the Reynolds Center last night.  UConn couldn't hit the ocean from a boat, either at the free throw line or right in front of the rim.  And their body language was terrible all night.  They seemed disinterested and beaten 10 minutes into the game.

did anyone understand Kevin Ollie not fouling down 5 with a minute to play?  then TU gets the offensive rebound and he still does not foul....strange.  how about those student section t-shirts?  you know they are bad when even the announcers are making fun of them.

credit to TU for getting things figured out after the loss to SW Ok St.

i think ORU currently has the only top 50 RPI win in the league thanks to the Mayor's Cup win.

What's up with TU making t-shirts calling out opponents? They seem to do it, a lot.

Memphis, ORU, and UConn, all within the last couple of years. And, there is probably more that I am missing. Just weird...

I was at the TU-UConn game last night, and I must say:  I've never seen so many premier athletes running, and jumping, and not shooting the ball worth a flip.

Lots of bad shots, lots of missed bunnies, even more missed free throws, and lots of sloppy ball-handling.  It was an entertaining game from an effort stanpoint, but it may have set offensive basketball back to the Stone Age.

The college games I have watched on TV this year reflect an appalling lack of shooting ability. Even the big name schools can't shoot the ball. We are seeing really low scores. Did anyone catch the game several weeks ago where UCLA(!!) scored seven (7) points in the first half against Kentucky?

The issue is across the board - kids cannot shoot the ball. Of course, they also can't (won't?) pass either. A lot of people blame this on the influence of AAU teams that don't teach fundamental skills. Something has to change or college basketball is going to become (more) unwatchable.

I seem to remember stories about how much time Tim Gill spent in the gym working on his shot - and how he developed into (arguably) ORU's best shooting guard. Maybe we should have him come to a practice and talk to our players about his work ethic and practice/gym habits.

In a matchup between two ORU opponents, Weber St. scored 12 points in the first half against OU, and the Sooners actually led 49-4 before Weber St made some late treys.

Statsheet declared the game statistically over with 2:51 left..... in the 1st half.