IUPUI at ORU

theeagleman5

I beg to differ on Darian Harris, who I thought played some really valuable minutes at North Dakota State.  He and Denell helped spark the comeback in the first half with their energy.

He has a tremendous upside with his length, and physically he's a good match-up with the taller guys at the "3" that ORU will see in the Summit League. 

He just needs to hit the weight room and be more aggressive with the ball in his hands.  I like him a lot...

I agree on Harris. He's starting to get a rhythm out there. I'd also say, to the negative comments about Lee, he's one of the top 3 most athletic kids on the team. Anytime he's on the court, he easily gets by his defender but for some reason he doesn't seem to realize how to taken advantage of that ability. Maybe the game is still too fast .. maybe it's going to take more time but there's no way I'd take Jackson on this team over him. I'm confident the long term win with Lee will be much better. 

I agree on Harris. He's starting to get a rhythm out there. I'd also say, to the negative comments about Lee, he's one of the top 3 most athletic kids on the team. Anytime he's on the court, he easily gets by his defender but for some reason he doesn't seem to realize how to taken advantage of that ability. Maybe the game is still too fast .. maybe it's going to take more time but there's no way I'd take Jackson on this team over him. I'm confident the long term win with Lee will be much better. 

i don't think it had to be a Lee or Jackson decision.  they were already both on the team and were two classes apart.  for whatever reason ORU has had a tough time with PGs recently -- grades, trying to convert combo guards, evaluation.  i don't think anyone has given up on Lee.  he may well go on to have a great career at ORU.  certainly you don't put up those type numbers in high school without talent.  it just has yet to show up.  i agree with OT that Sutton has to tighten up the rotation to win league games and that will probably most effect Lee, Webber, and Singleton.

back to evaluation, i just watched a guy ORU passed on single handedly beat Temple.  in the second half of that game he got to the bucket more times in the half court offense than ORU's three PGs have all season.  (that might be hyperbole, but it was at will against a team that blew out KU)

I want all these players to improve and make significant contributions, but to be honest I am not yet seeing Harris make significant contributions while he is out there. I think it is the time in the season where you need your best players out there because the conference season is here. In the IUPUI game, as soon as we took a lead 2 or 3 starters left the game and we would consequently lose most of the lead.

The conference season is important for seeding for the conference tournament and the NCAA seeding if you get there. The playing time decisions from the coaching staff are never easy and I'm sure it is difficult to balance giving players an opportunity with letting the starters also get the playing time they deserve. Here's hoping Harris proves me wrong.

Was Shaq Harrison offered by ORU?  If so, did he simply choose TU over ORU?

It's not a "miss" if a guy just chooses another school over you, or if you don't bother offering him because you know he's not interested...

Was Shaq Harrison offered by ORU? If so, did he simply choose TU over ORU?

It's not a "miss" if a guy just chooses another school over you, or if you don't bother offering him because you know he's not interested...

Hence the correlating Obi example.

Curious first signing for new TU coach Danny Manning, who received a commitment Monday from Kansas City 2-guard Shaquille Harrison:

Manning Gets First Commitment (Tulsa World)

Curious because it's mentioned in the article that the Lee's Summit West H.S. product was offered scholarships by three mid-major D-1 schools and "was being recruited by Oral Roberts and Drake".

Which sounds like we never offered him, even though he's a senior who was available in both the fall and spring signing periods.

And, we pretty much offer EVERYONE, if they can play a lick.

Perhaps the fact this guy shot in the low 20-percent range from "3" his senior year might have something to do with that.

Just sayin': the last TU coach who made a habit of signing guys that we passed on, got fired two years later (John Phillips).

P.S. This guy is not to be confused with Shaquille Morris, 6'8" space-eater from Edmond Santa Fe, who is a 2013 prospect that we (and a lot of other people) HAVE offered.

Soooo...I guess the questions remains:  did ORU offer him, or not?

And, even if both schools DID offer him, there's no telling who he might have gone with, right?

Chris Crawford aside, history tells us time and time again that regional kids typically choose TU over ORU when both offer and there's no other "better" third option.

they got him when Manning was hired and he added the Mo St assistant to his staff.  his three offers were -- Northeastern, Tenn St, and Miami (OH) according to verbal commits and yahoo.

interest but no offer from ORU, Mo St, and Drake according to yahoo.

his lack of a consistent jump shot probably cost him more offers, but it sure has not hurt his game in college.  Woodard gets all the press, but Harrison makes that team go.

who knows what would have happened if ORU offered, but they would have had a good shot with all the success they had with KC kids.  probably could have had him before TU even came into the picture.   TU was not on him until way late and Manning needed to add guards after the defections following the Wojcik firing.

• Upvote 1

they got him when Manning was hired and he added the Mo St assistant to his staff.  his three offers were -- Northeastern, Tenn St, and Miami (OH) according to verbal commits and yahoo.

interest but no offer from ORU, Mo St, and Drake according to yahoo.

his lack of a consistent jump shot probably cost him more offers, but it sure has not hurt his game in college.  Woodard gets all the press, but Harrison makes that team go.

who knows what would have happened if ORU offered, but they would have had a good shot with all the success they had with KC kids.  probably could have had him before TU even came into the picture.   TU was not on him until way late and Manning needed to add guards after the defections following the Wojcik firing.

Good stuff.  Harrison is a good player and seems to be improving rapidly the past few games.

TU's win at Temple wasn't the only nice win by an ORU oppenent over the weekend:  Oregon State shocked Arizona in Corvallis late Sunday night.  The Beavers may just be a little better than we thought they in that ugly game back in November.

Next to Obi is Harrison our biggest recruiting miss over the last few years?

Jacob Parker from Bixby was a huge miss  --- i think Coach Sutton admitted as much to the TulsaWorld

Harrison is tough because there are other factors.  you will remember that due to an NCAA rule change on internet courses, Korey and DJ did not play their first season.  you can't blame the coaches for not bringing in another freshman when they had a point and a combo guard they had not yet seen in games.  obviously Korey worked out fantastically and by his own account the year helped him grow up some.  i'm guessing it came down to offering another freshman PG or pursuing a JUCO PG ---  Tramel White was signed and we all know how that worked out.  you can't really blame their logic on that one....it just sucks to see Harrison tearing it up at 11th and Harvard.  like we have all said, ORU has been snake bit when it comes to PGs since Rod Pearson.

speaking of misses, i'll be curious to see what AJ Cockrell does at UTSA for Brooks Thompson.  Cockrell is a 6'8' forward out of Tulsa Memorial  that just tore up the Tournament of Champions (does that sound familiar ORU fans?).  is he a guy we will be looking back at in a few years and asking how was he missed?  this stuff is why coaches get paid big bucks and Coach Sutton's hair is almost all grey now.

Memorial center A.J. Cockrell produced 85 points and 56 rebounds during three games at the 50th Tournament of Champions this week.

Cockrell’s all-around performance earned him the T of C’s most valuable player award, Memorial’s first player to be so honored since Caleb Green in 2002 — the last time the Chargers won the T of C. They went on to win the state tournament that season — their first of four gold balls in a 12-year span.

Cockrell’s 34 points and 22 rebounds in the title game are career highs.

Jacob Parker from Bixby was a huge miss  --- i think Coach Sutton admitted as much to the TulsaWorld

Harrison is tough because there are other factors.  you will remember that due to an NCAA rule change on internet courses, Korey and DJ did not play their first season.  you can't blame the coaches for not bringing in another freshman when they had a point and a combo guard they had not yet seen in games.  obviously Korey worked out fantastically and by his own account the year helped him grow up some.  i'm guessing it came down to offering another freshman PG or pursuing a JUCO PG ---  Tramel White was signed and we all know how that worked out.  you can't really blame their logic on that one....it just sucks to see Harrison tearing it up at 11th and Harvard.  like we have all said, ORU has been snake bit when it comes to PGs since Rod Pearson.

speaking of misses, i'll be curious to see what AJ Cockrell does at UTSA for Brooks Thompson.  Cockrell is a 6'8' forward out of Tulsa Memorial  that just tore up the Tournament of Champions (does that sound familiar ORU fans?).  is he a guy we will be looking back at in a few years and asking how was he missed?  this stuff is why coaches get paid big bucks and Coach Sutton's hair is almost all grey now.

I saw Cockrell play in a couple of those Tournament Of Champions games.  If he's 6'-8" as advertised, I'm a 7-footer. 

In terms of physique, he's no Caleb Green, or Marcus Lewis, or even Albert Owens.  Think more along the lines of Sylvester Spicer:  tough, burly guy in the paint, but undersized for his position (even for a low-major roster).