IUPUI at ORU

theeagleman5

Hey Grip....I couldn't agree more....no energy on this team most of the time....except in OT when we seemed to come alive....that bomb by Word at the end of regulation got the good guys going....it was a great pump fake and shot by Bobby......but the last 10 minutes of regulation was a total nightmare....if nothing changes ORU will be fortunate to finish in the middle of the league.....somebody needs to jump start this ORU squad.... :sweat:

Just judging by the expression on Coach Suttons' face as he walked off the court.....he seems like a very frustrated man at this point.....his team is really not performing up to his standards....TheEagleman is not familiar enough with the situation to say if the problem is the players or Sutton....but you can see that Scott is none too happy....he also spent a good 30 seconds talking to the IUPUI coach after the game as they shook hands.....I wonder what was said?.... :nerd:

Sutton seemed frustrated on the radio post game interview. He said he told the IUPUI coach that his team deserved to win; they played with more passion and intensity.

Really random observations:

* I was with my granddaughter and left after the first media timeout in the second half. We were up by 8 or so and I thought we were in charge of the game.

* After we went on a 12 - 0 run in the first half I thought we had IUPUI on the ropes. They were having trouble getting any good looks on offense and we got the ball down low for some easy looks.

* I think we got distracted because we were outplaying the Jags - even without Obi in the game. (He got hurt after the first 5 minutes or so.) I also noticed that Sutton was substituting players at an almost frantic pace. This also might have contributed to the discontinuity on offense. I guess he was trying to keep players rested and find the right player combinations.

* Our efforts on the boards was bad at times. Some of the lack of rebounds was also a result of long bounces from the Jags' shots. We need more production from Conley.

* Our offense (in my very limited basketball knowledge) looks a bit like the OKC Thunder - stagnant with a lot of passing around the perimeter. When the shot clock is low we either drive to the basket or launch a 3-pointer. At times (early in the game) we attacked their zone effectively and they switched to a man defense.

* I thought we did a better job at times in trying to get the ball to our post players. I wish we were more consistent in doing this. It should be a requirement that the ball go inside on every possession - even if it comes right back out.

* Obi was ineffective after he came back in the game after his injury (hyper extended knee). Coach Sutton said in his post game interview that he probably should have not played him. I agree with that assessment. If my memory is correct, we actually were playing okay without him in the first half.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (and a bully), ORU's offensive droughts midway through both halves coincided (once again?) with Jabar Singleton entering the game at the point. 

He played five minutes in the first half where not only did HE not score, but the ENTIRE TEAM went scoreless as IUPUI reeled off something like nine straight points. 

Similar result in the second half:  other than a 3-point play from Kory on the first possession after Singleton entered the game, ORU failed to score for four minutes while IUPUI cut a double-digit deficit down to two points.

I can't think of a more damning indictment of a point guard:  your team NOT SCORING while you're running the show, with your opponent establishing its offensive rhythm at the same time.

Why jeopardize an already-fragile offense by throwing a wrench in the works midway through each half of every game?

TheEagleman is also not a Singleton fan....he's just not very good.....more Young or Billbury at the PG spot, please......some of you guys out there must surely have Coach Suttons' ear...or maybe we can sneak Chris Crawford in early?....he's just across the street........ :|

I think it's time to shorten the bench. 

Singleton, Lee and Webber have each been given multiple opportunities to step up this season, even as part of the starting five.  It simply hasn't worked out.

Owens, Harris and Word need to get more minutes instead, with Young starting at the point the rest of the season.

TheEagleman likes Word....his game isn't perfect but he has the ability to fill it up......also very disappointed in Dederick Lee......TheEagleman was expecting a lot more after the build up last year.....he's not gonna get many minutes in the future when Crawford and others show up at 7777 So. Lewis unless he steps up his game....... :nerd:

I can't figure Dederick Lee out. He had a great high school career and people (including coaches) have sung his praises. Lee seems to be a nice kid and tries hard when he gets into the game - but looks like he is pressing. Last night he made a hard drive to the basket and badly missed a half contested layup. I am still hoping that Lee exhibits the talent/skills on the court he evidently has.

But I agree with OT - it is time to shorten the bench.

somewhere DJ Jackson is saying "I told you so."  does anyone think he would not be starting if he had his scholly renewed?

from orumbb_insider

He also informed him that his minuets would decrease. DJ told some students he felt betrayed and didn't really understand it. In their meeting, he was told that they were expecting lee to contribute a lot. One baseball player told me that Jackson said that "they are betting on someone who hasn't played a single game." Now I'm not sure if all of this is true or not. However this is what is circulating on campus right now!

so much of ORU's offense is passing around the perimeter and putting up contested jump shots late in the clock.  ORU has to get improved PG play and higher percentage shooting to do anything in league play.  oruathletics.com has stats posted going back to 01...here are the team FG% for the season.

01-02  .451

02-03  .447

03-04  .476

04-05  .478

05-06  .460

06-07  .466

07-08  .440

08-09  .447

09-10  .443

10-11  .474

11-12  .484

12-13  .461

13-14  .460

14-15  .392

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman wasn't a huge fan of DJ Jackson either....but even I have to admit he was better than what I am watching this season.....praying that Chris Crawford is the real deal next year..... :sweat:

During Scott's postgame comments, Scott talked about how sometimes the team that wins the game may not have really deserved to win the game based upon how they played during most of that game.  If I understood him correctly, he basically talked with the other coach telling him that his team played well enough to win that game.  With this being that coaches first year and his first time to face Scott Sutton, that seems like a classy thing to do.

IUPUI looked well coached to me.  I expect them to be a team on the rise in the Summit League under Jason Gardner, former Arizona player under Lute Olson, who most recently was an assistant coach under Josh Pastner at Memphis for the last 2 years I believe.  The IUPUI defense looked pretty strong during the last 10 minutes or so of the 2nd half.

I watched most of NDSU at Omaha tonight (the Bison won a close one by 3; the Mavs had a shot to tie at the buzzer that just fell short), and I'm impressed with their new young coach.  He has them playing really well, and point guard Lawrence Alexander is an early candidate for league Player Of The Year. 

It's just such a luxury for a coach to have an experienced point guard that he can trust running the show; feels like a month of Sundays since ORU has had such a player...

If you look at the roster, of 13 scholarship players, Aaron Anderson is redshirting and Drew Wilson is currently a no-show (any word about if he will be seen again this year?).  That leaves 11 players.  If Scott wants to go to a tighter rotation, there seem to be 7 players that would get most of the playing time:

Obi, Korey, Aaron Young, Bobby Word, Brandon Conley, Albert Owens, and Denell Henderson.

Since Scott normally settles on an 8-man rotation, who is that eighth player?  Probably a split between Jabbar and Adrion Webber.  I'm not seeing much from Lee and Harris right now.

So a 7-man rotation could be:

Aaron Young 30 minutes at the point and Korey 10 minutes at the point.

Korey 20-25 minutes at SG and Bobby Word 15-20 minutes at SG.

Obi 35 minutes at small forward (if he stays healthy) and Brandon Conley 5 minutes at small forward (wing).

Then Albert (20-25 minutes), Denell (30-35 minutes), and Brandon (25 minutes) splitting the other 80 minutes at the forward position.

Pull a few minutes off Bobby or Aaron if you want to get Jabbar or Adrion some playing time, and pull a few minutes off the big guys if Drew Wilson reappears.

We got in foul trouble last night.  Brandon Conley fouled out before OT and Denell had 4 fouls through the last part of OT.  If we don't get Drew Wilson back, we may have to play more 4-guard lineup (if you consider Obi a guard vs. a wing/small forward).

I think the reason why Scott hasn't reduced the lineup is because Aaron Young hasn't been THAT much better than Jabbar and Bobby Word hasn't been THAT much better than Adrion and he still wants to give Harris and Lee some opportunities.  Also, if Obi can't give 35 minutes a game due to his knees, then he still needs Jabbar, Adrion and Harris to be able to contribute.

There was very little substituting in the OT.  I don't believe Albert Owens played at all even though Denell was in foul trouble and Conley was gone.  He basically stuck with the starting lineup.

If we had Drew Wilson as another big man option who could give us 5 fouls and 20 minutes a game, then I would love to see this lineup:

Korey

Obi

Conley

Henderson

Owens

As it is, we will probably never see that lineup on the floor.

If you look at the roster, of 13 scholarship players, Aaron Anderson is redshirting and Drew Wilson is currently a no-show (any word about if he will be seen again this year?).  That leaves 11 players.  If Scott wants to go to a tighter rotation, there seem to be 7 players that would get most of the playing time:

Obi, Korey, Aaron Young, Bobby Word, Brandon Conley, Albert Owens, and Denell Henderson.

Since Scott normally settles on an 8-man rotation, who is that eighth player?  Probably a split between Jabbar and Adrion Webber.  I'm not seeing much from Lee and Harris right now.

So a 7-man rotation could be:

Aaron Young 30 minutes at the point and Korey 10 minutes at the point.

Korey 20-25 minutes at SG and Bobby Word 15-20 minutes at SG.

Obi 35 minutes at small forward (if he stays healthy) and Brandon Conley 5 minutes at small forward (wing).

Then Albert (20-25 minutes), Denell (30-35 minutes), and Brandon (25 minutes) splitting the other 80 minutes at the forward position.

Pull a few minutes off Bobby or Aaron if you want to get Jabbar or Adrion some playing time, and pull a few minutes off the big guys if Drew Wilson reappears.

We got in foul trouble last night.  Brandon Conley fouled out before OT and Denell had 4 fouls through the last part of OT.  If we don't get Drew Wilson back, we may have to play more 4-guard lineup (if you consider Obi a guard vs. a wing/small forward).

I think the reason why Scott hasn't reduced the lineup is because Aaron Young hasn't been THAT much better than Jabbar and Bobby Word hasn't been THAT much better than Adrion and he still wants to give Harris and Lee some opportunities.  Also, if Obi can't give 35 minutes a game due to his knees, then he still needs Jabbar, Adrion and Harris to be able to contribute.

There was very little substituting in the OT.  I don't believe Albert Owens played at all even though Denell was in foul trouble and Conley was gone.  He basically stuck with the starting lineup.

If we had Drew Wilson as another big man option who could give us 5 fouls and 20 minutes a game, then I would love to see this lineup:

Korey

Obi

Conley

Henderson

Owens

As it is, we will probably never see that lineup on the floor.

I beg to differ on Darian Harris, who I thought played some really valuable minutes at North Dakota State.  He and Denell helped spark the comeback in the first half with their energy.

He has a tremendous upside with his length, and physically he's a good match-up with the taller guys at the "3" that ORU will see in the Summit League. 

He just needs to hit the weight room and be more aggressive with the ball in his hands.  I like him a lot...

I agree about Harris. He seems to be shaking the rust off and is not lost on the court. He plays (at least from my untrained eye) decent defense and his height & length give him an advantage against they guys he is guarding. I know that Harris has a reputation as a good shooter and at some time in the future we should see that demonstrated on the court. He seems a bit 'snake bit' and is aiming his shot a bit.

Some of the comments about our players seems a bit harsh. Especially the ones that sat out (redshirted) last year. The old adage is that juco's & redshirts usually take a half a season to really get into the flow.

Honestly, I think some of these guys need more consistent minutes. When you've sat out a year and then you only get a couple of minutes here and there, it's going to be tough. I don't think I've seen enough of our new guys (Harris, Lee, Owens, etc.), to make a definitive statement about any of them...

I think we should try to rest Obi (and Korey to a lesser extent) as much as possible and have them fresh and healthy for the conference tourney. And, let the young guys take their lumps. Let them make mistakes and leave them out there. Winning a couple more games in the regular season means little/nothing.

At this point, it's a 3-game season. Those three games being in March, in the frozen tundra.

Oh and a footnote...it seems like we have already crowned the Victory kid as the 'savior'. I hope he's the next Tim Gill or Ken Tutt, but I think we need to temper our expectations, a little.

• Upvote 2

As always....Voice is the VOICE of reason......theEagleman cannot argue with your points....but still don't want to see us finish 12-17 or something like that.....would be very painful....but yeah....we need to build for the tourney and hope to avoid NDSU and SDSU in the first couple of rounds....I would like to see more of the kids...we can't ride Obi and Korey into the ground just yet.....  :nerd: