IUPUI at ORU

theeagleman5

Summit League home opener tonight at Mabee Center....the Jaguars come in off a big road win at IPFW last weekend but have had an up and down season just like us....and just like us, they are 6-8.....not a particularly big team inside and they don't score a ton of points but are balanced....their leading scorer averages just under 10 points per game....without a lot of fanfare, this is just a game that ORU should and must win....we can't afford to drop to 0-2 in conference play.....our guys should be rested and ready to play in front of the home "crowd"..........TheEagleman hopes that most of the students are back and we will have some Maniacs in attendence......probably won't be a pretty win but this team is still due to put up a 40 minute performance....will tonight be the night?.........likely not but ORU finds a way to win by 72-64....... :nerd:

The students started classes on Monday so they are definitely back. Hopefully they mention the game in chapel today.

TheEagleman would still have to set the over/under on bodies in seats at Mabee tonight at 2400.....maybe we should start a pool..... :|

IUPUI is 2 and 2 over their last four games:

Lost at Richmond 53 to 57

Won at Pepperdine 55 to 53

Lost at NCCU 70 to 49

Won at IPFW 63 to 58

From the scores, it appears that they are not an offensive juggernaut but do play tough defense.

Top Players:

Barksdale (6'5" - Jr): 32.5 minutes; 9.1 ppg (36.1% FG & 25% 3-pt) with 4.5 rebs

Boutte (5'9" - Jr): 26.9 minutes; 5.8 ppg (27.8% FG & 26.3% 3-pt) with 3.6 assists

Archie (6'5" Jr): 23.9 minutes; 8.0 ppg (40.6% FG & 28.6% 3-pt) with 1.4 rebs

Brennan (6'6" Fr): 23.6 minutes; 7.1 ppg (51.9% FG) with 3.6 rebs

Williams (6'7" Sr): 21.7 minutes; 7.6 ppg (57.3% FG) with 6.6 rebs

How can you lose to NC Central by 21 points???.... :nerd:

Looks like I will be driving up to the game tonight to hang with Texas Grip. I'll say Eagles win 62-54.

Yep, at least two "pre-Maniacs" will be in attendance. Probably the only game I'll catch "live" this year. I'll say Cowboys over the Packers 31-27 (in a perfectly officiated game.  :-D )

ORU is currently an 11 point favorite on the Vegas line.....have they been watching our Golden Eagles?....but Vegas usually knows something....still, that's much too steep for TheEagleman.....I might have to consider betting IUPUI.....TheEagleman expects a much closer game..... :nerd:

Yeah, we were concerned about that. Good to see him back in the game.

really sad to see these home crowds.  what, maybe only a couple hundred students?   it's no wonder the team comes out uninspired.....zero home court advantage.

it's a win, but not an encouraging one.  Billbury and Henderson played stellar, Word got the 3 and some FTs in overtime, everyone else seemed to be going though the motions.  thank God that IUPUI turned it over a bunch and shot poorly from the FT line.

Glad to see Bobby get a chance to be clutch at the end of the game. I really like how his game is developing on both ends of the court.

ORU played well in OT.  We have lost several games like this right at the end so it feels really good to win one like this.

The offense seemed to bog down toward the end of the 1st half and the end of the 2nd half.  Part of it may have been fatigue, but it seemed like a lack of focus on what the coaches gave them direction to do.

Denell showed tonight why he is starting over Albert Owens.  Albert is not quite as efficient around the basket yet, but I still expect that he will continue to improve.

Once Brandon Conley fouled out, Scott ran a 4 guard lineup throughout overtime and it worked well.  Glad to get the win. 

A few comments from TheEagleman who watched online......another sloppy effort by both teams and ORU blows another second half lead when it appeared we were about to blow them out early in the 2nd half.....then just when the game appeared lost as the home team gets only 4 points from the 9 minute mark to to 1 minute mark......Billbury gets a huge 3 point play and Bobby Word throws in a miracle trey with 1 second left to send it to OT....IUPUI had already put this one in the win column.....then ORU runs off the first 8 points of OT to lock this one up, 69-61.....we will take the win but this team is a total heart attack.....not gonna win many games shooting 39% from the floor and getting out rebounded by seven....but the Jags had 18 turnovers to 9 for the home team......Just wondering....why would we give the ball to Obi in the final minute when IUPUI is looking to foul....he's terrible at the FT line in the clutch....Bobby Word is the go to guy when we are trying to protect a lead....or Billbury....not Obi....not Conley....not anybody else.....Come on, Coach Sutton......please wake up!!!.....Finally saw some emotion from Scott in the huddle after regulation....he looked relieved and pissed....thought he was going to take a swing at somebody.....ORU cannot continue to play like this and expect to finish above .500 in the Summit League....this Jaguar squad is not one of the better teams in the conference......but geez....who knows....Western Illinois previously undefeated lost by 31 tonight at SDSU......so they could be ticked off for Saturday night......also....gotta agree with the comments about the Mabee "crowd" tonight.....lots of empty gold seats.....maybe 2000 fans in attendance from what I could see on the screen.....very sad.....but that's been the norm especially since Caleb, Tutt and Domo have left......agree that ORU has very little home advantage.....Sutton didn't even bother to slap hands with the 9 Maniacs sitting on the front row....he appeared in a hurry to get out of the arena.....can't say as I blame him.....ORU will need to play much better to win Saturday night at WIU...... :sweat:

It was frustrating to watch. IUPUI didn't even belong on the court with the Golden Eagles, yet we're the ones who stole the win. That second half drought was a debacle. Our team (bench included) looked like they could care less while the Jags were playing energized and receiving support from their bench. Once we hit OT I said to OKCEagle, we better win this thing by double digits. Finally came alive. I'd like to know where that energy was during regulation. I was really hoping this wasn't going to be another frustrating season, but it looks like it might be.