ORU at North Dakota State

ORUTerry

Don't count on it....NDSU has been playing pretty well..... :sweat:

excited for conference play to start and see how ORU stacks up.  NDSU should be a tough challenge.  vegas likes the Bizzzzuuuun by 4.5.

This is a tough one for ORU's return to Summit League action after two years in the Southland Conference....we never seem to play well up at NDSU.....it's a tough building and a loud supportive home crowd.....the Golden Eagles will have to bring the A game tonight and we will again need excellent performances from our two stars to remain competitive....ORU also needs some scoring inside from Henderson, Conley and Owens.....NDSU is 8-5 and playing decent basketball...they will no doubt be up for the long awaited return of the Golden Eagles.....ORU is 6-7 and really about one win better than I expected them to be in non conference play....and we really haven't played our best basketball yet....TheEagleman thinks it will be an exciting competive contest...if we play with the grit we showed at Detroit on Tuesday night we have a shot to win....but we need better coaching and defense down the stretch if we have a shot to win.....we also cannot continue to shoot 40% on the road and expect to be victorious....Let's face it, this is probably the toughest road game in the Summit this season....and I am honestly not feeling it tonight....the home crowd will come in from the 8 degree temps and likely be liquored up on Busch Light and Old Milwaukee....I just think it's going to be an 0-1 start to 2015 as NDSU outlasts ORU in the end by 72-67...... :|

Sat, Dec 13
vs
-m-0c4m2z__56x42.pngNorth Dakota
W 42 - 71
Final

Tue, Dec 16
vs
-m-0288lld__56x42.pngAkron
W 46 - 55
Final

Sun, Dec 21
@
-m-0288ttq__56x42.pngKent St.
L 52 - 53
Final

Mon, Dec 22
@
-m-05d_99z__56x42.pngAlcorn St.
W 61 - 50
Final

Before the season started, I predicted the following re: the non-conference schedule:

"I'll guess 5-9 in non-conference play (the W's coming in the two non-D1 games, MSU here, a Vegas win, plus another "wild card" victory somewhere)"

With one last non-conference victory waiting in the wings vs. Tabor, ORU is looking at a very respectable 7-7 for their non-league slate, and could have easily been 10-4 if they'd been able to close out double-digit leads at Missouri, Weber State and Missouri State.  This team has hinted at being much better than anticipated at times, especially in the frontcourt, but has been hamstrung when games are on the line by even worse point guard play than initially feared.

So, which ORU team will show up in Summit League play, especially on the road:  the one that seems capable of competing with anyone in the league when hitting on all cylinders, or the one that seems virtually incapable of closing out close games against even the weakest opponents?

Back in November, I felt this way about the Summit League schedule, and nothing has happened that would really change my mind:

"11-5 in the Summit League (all 5 losses on the road, at least one inexplicable)."

NDSU in Fargo was one of those anticipated L's, and it might even get a little ugly if ORU experiences the sort of shooting woes suffered at MSU and Oregon State.

But, nothing frankly would come as a shock in this game - curious to see how things turn out...

The Bison's playing roster is around seven players:

Alexander (6'3" - Sr):  38.1 minutes, 16.8 ppg (40.7%) and 42.4% from 3pt line (39/92) with 4.5 rebs/game

Dupree (6'3" - So):  33.1 minutes, 7.0 ppg (33.3%) and 1 of 15 from 3pt line with 5.1 rebs and 3.5 assists/game

Miller (6'4" - Fr): 30.1 minutes, 8.2 ppg (38.1%) and 39.6% from 3pt line (19/48) with 4.3 reb/game

Kading (6'8" - Jr): 29.2 minutes, 5.5 ppg (36.7%) and 22.6% from 3pt line (4/31) and 3.9 rebs/game

Brown (6'4" - Jr):  26.9 minutes, 10.3 ppg (51.2%) and 4/14 from 3pt line with 4.8 rebs/game

Werner (6'6" - So): 22.2 minutes, 9.3 ppg (48.4%) and 6.5 rebs/game

Jacobson (6'6" - Fr): 29.5 minutes, 10.9 ppg (38.4%) and 37.5% from 3pt line (15 of 40) and 4.1 rebs/game

Most of their players shoot 3-pointers - and make them. I have to think they will shoot better at home. They are not tall, but historically have been a well coached and disciplined. The Bison pass screen and pass the ball well - you have to defend the perimeter and back cuts. They are very good at home.

They are 4 and 1 over their last five games. They shoot 40.9% from the field and 35.7% (90/252) from the 3-point line. The Bison is an average free throw shooting team at 68.9%.

I think it will be a close game tonight, NDSU has been playing better defense but offensively we have some streaky shooters. Our best option in the low post Dex Werner is undersized, which can be tough against teams with length and athleticism. 

Another twist is that we are playing all of our games this year and next off campus due to our old arena being renovated. It is a nice venue but doesn't quite have the same home court advantage. Here is a pic...

B1s2QOKCAAAs5oy.jpg

Thanks for the info. The arena looks nice - and I'm sure there will be a good crowd there tonight.

Let's hope your shooters are a bit off tonight.... :)

Frankly, a lot depends on the officiating. Will they call fouls when Korey and Obi drive into the paint? ORU is #2 in the nation for the percentage of total points scored from the free throw line. As a result, how we fare at the charity stripe will likely decide an ORU win/loss tonight. Unfortunately, I'm not very confident in the likelihood of experiencing excellent officiating in Fargo and/or with Summit refs.

NDSU up 17-6 at 12:00 media break.

Simply terrible start. This NDSU squad does not have a Ben Woodside or a Taylor Braun, but they are running circles around ORU on offense.

The team looks disinterested, the coaches look disgusted. Pathetic so far...

good comeback, good minutes from Harris off the bench.

mismanagement of the foul to give at the end of the first half once again.  at least it only cost them 2 FTs and not a 3 this time.

Incredible turn of events midway through the first half, as Denell Henderson and Darian Harris show some ENERGY in sparking a run to overcame a 16-point deficit and actually take a momentary 5-point lead. All tied at 34 at the half.

ORU is a LOT more athletic than NDSU, but the Bison are more disciplined. No telling what might happen in the second half, but at least it was encouraging to see some EFFORT the last 10 minutes or so before halftime.

a very entertaining game to watch.  good to see ORU have some success from the three tonight and battle after taking the punch in the mouth to begin the game.  i think everyone had this chalked up as a loss.

Alexander vs Emegano was fun to watch

Bummer. Again, we led most of the 2nd half. Still tied at :40 sec and then lost 66-72.

On paper, this might look like ORU once again blowing a winnable game down the stretch, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Excellent play by both teams in the second half, and anyone's ball game till the final minute. NDSU just made a couple of outstanding plays on both ends to win it late.

Still too early to tell where either of these teams may rank within the league, but they seemed evenly matched tonight. Should be interesting to meet them again in Tulsa late in the year and possibly in the tournament.