ORU vs. Oklahoma

ORUTerry

ORU faces a huge challenge this evening against the Sooners. They are taller and more athletic than we are - and they can shoot the basketball.

Here is a link to a comparison of the two teams from StatSheet.com.

Their starters are:

Hield (6'4") - averaging 30.6 minutes with 16.0 ppg - 36.4% (FG) and 35.9% from 3-pt (23 of 64) - more than 50% of his shots are three pointers

Cousins (6'4") - averaging 30.3 minutes with 13.4 ppg - 47.6% (FG) and 44.4% from 3-pt (16/36) - close to 50% of his shots are three pointers

Spangler (6'8") - averaging 29.8 minutes with 9.6 ppg - 64.4% (FG) and 6 of 10 from behind the 3-pt line

Thomas (6'8") - averaging 29.3 minutes with 10.3 ppg - 56.1% (FG)

Woodard (6'0") - averaging 28.3 minutes with 7.9 ppg - 27.1% (FG) and 48 assist per game - not a good 3-pt shooter (1 of 17)

ORU is currently a 17 point underdog....i would have to get at least 20 to even think about taking ORU tonight.....we will surely have tired legs and playing our toughest opponent of the season in an unfriendly building...ORU has lost 12 straight to the Sooners....make it 13 after tonight.....OU 83  ORU 61....but GO BLUE ANYWAY!!!!....gotta head home to watch....EXPECT A MIRACLE!!!... :eagles:

• Upvote 1

Well.....that was painful....but not unexpected...OU brought their A game and ORU looked tired and lackluster in the 85-53 beating.....impressed with Words' 19 and Owens' 12....but Billbury only 6 and Obi 0....ZERO???....what's the deal with that?.....TheEagleman will just chalk this one up as all the cards stacked against us in a game against what is certainly a sweet 16 or elite 8 team in the Sooners....they are good...really good.....bring on Memphis!...... :nerd:

Sometimes, you get the Bear (last night).

Sometimes, the bear gets you (tonight).

Burn this tape; get ready for Memphis.

"Goodnight now!!" (Rome clones will get that one...)

• Upvote 2

As crazy as it may sound, Memphis is more beatable then one may think. Hopefully we get rested and are refreshed and ready to go on Saturday. Put this game behind us and focus on Memphis. Go Golden Eagles!

I think this was actually the perfect storm that OT was worried about earlier. A tired Eagle team against a very good, and deservedly highly ranked OU team.

Still, I thought we could have hung with them without all the turnovers. Fix that, and we can give a lot of good teams fits.

Agree with all the comments.  I don't think I've ever been as "un-disappointed" with a 30+ point loss.  Just glad we got the two prior wins at home - and REALLY glad to see Albert Owens continue to mature.  He could be a terror when conference season begins...

• Upvote 1

Is Obi injured? I heard on the radio broadcast last night that he was limping towards the end of the first half. The young man is tough, but if he is playing hurt then that would explain a 13 point performance Monday night and a 0 point performance last night. OU is really good, but I didn't think any team in the country could hold that guy scoreless. Something else has to be going on.

• Upvote 1

First game that I've been able to sit and watch live in awhile. This team asks a lot from our stars in just ball handling and protecting the basketball. Seems like things can unravel in a hurry, unlike with teams in the past.

Also, OU is really, really good and athletic. They could win the Big 12 and play late into the tournament. Even so, Emegano, Billbury and Word combined for 16 rebounds. Conley and Henderson combined for 4.

Henderson had a nice view of a couple of rebounds hitting the floor and Sooners dribbling past him directly to the basket before being replaced by Owens, who got extended minutes.

Owens is talented and has the potential to be great. Like POY level great. He stepped out and hit a couple of jumpers, a baby hook, and has a nice array of moves with his back to the basket. Just got to get a little more "mean" to the big fella's game. 

Is Obi injured? I heard on the radio broadcast last night that he was limping towards the end of the first half. The young man is tough, but if he is playing hurt then that would explain a 13 point performance Monday night and a 0 point performance last night. OU is really good, but I didn't think any team in the country could hold that guy scoreless. Something else has to be going on.

He appears to be dealing with a handful of nagging injuries:  sore knee, a right arm/elbow injury of some sort, a taped-up thumb on his shooting hand, and it looked like on the play in question he took one down low trying to draw a charge.

Hopefully he can heal up a little bit this week.  He sounded cryptically upbeat in this short Tweet after the game Tuesday night:

Stay tuned

— Oregano (@Obinna_15)

December 17, 2014

Yeah, Obi is really struggling physically, from what I've heard...

However, I will echo the thoughts about Albert! Like what I see. He just needs to play with a little more of a mean streak. And, VERY GOOD to see Bobby Word finding his stroke!

Haven't heard about Drew, but sure hope he gets his head on straight. We could sure use him right now. With only Denell, Albert, & Brandon in the post, our depth and size is razor thin...

rough night for the Oklahoma guys last night....Obi, Korey, Adrion, and AY combine to score 6 points.

any update on Wilson's possible return to the team?

excited about Albert Owens....he's shown more low post moves in 9 games than Kaufmen did in 2 seasons.

Owens looked really good except when he got snuffed with 4 seconds left in the first half leading to that buzzer beating jumper....and what was with Obi Emegano???...our leading scorer gets 0?.....he was totally invisible.... :|

Let's hope Drew's latest suspension is just (as OSU football coach Pat Jones calls it on the Sports Animal) "knucklehead stuff", such as missing class, late to meetings, sleeping in for practice, caught with "my cousin's pot", etc.

But, if it's an academic shortfall, you wonder if we'll see him again this season:  Denell Henderson disapppeared about this same time last year due to grades, and wasn't heard from again until this fall.