ORU vs. Missouri State

ORUTerry

I have no doubt that if the shoe was on the other foot, Scott Sutton would do the right thing and find a way to play the game. Coach Sutton has demonstrated many times over the years that he is a good man who would be willing to make sacrifices (in this case, a road game with less than ideal preparation time) in order to honor his word.

I don't believe that is the norm, however, and I'd be willing to bet that >90% of teams would opt for the same course of action that Missouri State is currently pursuing and play hardball with the dates in hopes that the game would just go away.

We are in agreement that Missouri State should show more willingness to play the game in Tulsa. I just don't think there are many folks who would act differently in this situation.

The only thing that is keeping an ORU vs. Missouri State game at the Mabee Center in 2014-15 alive is that MSU is also getting a home game this season. If the Springfield leg of the trip was scheduled for 2015-16, then MSU would likely be willing to cancel the entire series and find a new home opponent in the next 10 months. But because MSU knows that they would also lose a home game if they don't play ball, there may be a chance of the game happening.

Also to consider... ORU's future MVC aspirations...

Don't we play OU the following night?.....and NM State on Saturday....so 3 games in 4 nights.....ouch!.....oh well.....these kids have young legs..... :|

It appears that Missouri State said something along the lines of "If you want this game played, fine. But it's your home game, so you're the ones who are going to be most inconvenienced."

I heard that the power outage was caused by a squirrel that chewed on some lines in the substation or something.

• Upvote 1

Props to the powers that be for making this thing happen, and to MSU coach Paul Lusk for doing the right thing.

Would be curious to learn from Mike Carter at some point what (if any) pressure was brought to bear in working out the date.

I have no problem playing this game the night before OU:  it relieves some of the pressure of playing in Norman ("No one expects us to play well on a back-to-back"), and might make the guys play a little looser in what would under ANY circumstances be a difficult game (aka the Milwaukee game in Vegas on the heels of the LaLa debacle).

TheEagleman would be more than pleased if we can beat NM State on Sat and then Missouri State on Monday....then I won't care what happens at OU on Tuesday.....3 games in 4 nights is tough.....I we can go 2-1 that would be a great result.... :nerd:

The Bears won easily at SE Missouri State last night to get to 5-3.....last week I predicted an 80-73 win for ORU but I wasn't very excited about it.....the guys played pretty well last night vs. NM State so TheEagleman feels we may have gotten back on track....this is a big one because it's quite likely that we will take a big loss on Tuesday at Norman.....we need to get to 4-4....Obi and Korey look like they are coming together and Henderson is not making a nice contribution....we still need more from our bench and better FT shooting...hopefully, Coach Sutton had the team shooting FTs today in practice because we really need to pick it up.....TheEagleman still thinks the Golden Eagles pull this one out....another close game....hopefully at least 1000 people will stop to root for the home team..... :|

And I'm assuming that there will be no ESPN3 coverage of the game, since this is a "makeup" game not on the original schedule.  It would be great if KGEB would pick it up live, but it may be too much too ask to pull a crew together on such late notice.

Geez....TheEagleman was hoping that the MSU game would still be on ESPN3....was planning on watching on my computer.....sure hope they still find a way to televise it.... :|

Ditto Eagleman. I was looking forward to the Golden Eagles being on ESPN3 3 times in 4 days. I watched NMSU on TV with the sound down so I could listen to Geoff's radio broadcast. When all that comes together and the Golden Eagles win, life is good. I was also watching the Pens lose to C-bus minus Sid the Kid. Not good there, but I digress.

• Upvote 2

Missouri State is not big but they can shoot the basketball and they can pass (lots of assists). Their top two scorers are:

Marshall (6'3") with 22.5 ppg - shooting 56.8% from the field and 59.5% (!) from behind the three point arc (22 of 37)

Ruder (6'3") with 12.1 ppg - shooting 46.7% from the field and 44.6% (!) from behind the three point arc (25 of 56)

We have to cover the perimeter. I assume that they run lots of screens.

line up to ORU -4.5 or -5 depending on the book.

what's with the big money liking ORU this year and moving these lines?

70% of the tickets written tonight are on Missouri State but the Oral Roberts keeps getting bigger favorite. Big money on ORU

— Matthew Holt (@MatthewHoltVP)

December 15, 2014

call me crazy, but i'd take Mo St and the points.  ORU  has proven it can't finish a team off this season.  i hope the whales are right and i'm wrong.

Based on recent performance down the stretch, ORU would need at LEAST a double-digit cushion with 2:00 remaining to cover that spread...I wouldn't touch this game with that line.

Yeah....tough giving up 4 1/2 points against a good team like Missouri State....TheEagleman couldn't do it.....looks like no ESPN3 tonight....can't find it on ESPN.com.... :doh:

Coach Sutton had the stat of the day in pre-game...

coming into tonight:

Conley - 6 assists

Singleton, Young, and Lee - 5 assists (5 + 0 + 0)

uninspired performance, sparse/uninspired crowd...don't like ORU's chances if Billbury does not come in and spark them in the second half.

Missouri State 33  ORU 32 at half.....sounds like a very small crowd.....time for ORU to wake up.... :sweat:

Aaron Young with a 3 pointer!....he scores the first 5 points of the 2nd half for ORU.....37-all..... :nerd: