ORU vs. Missouri State

ORUTerry

sounds like Lusk does not want to play the game

Tried to eavesdrop on conversation between head coaches. All of ORU's makeup dates kept getting shot down by Lusk. #orumbb

— Ben Johnson (@BenJohnsonTUL)

December 7, 2014

#Orumbb coaches pitched the idea of Mo. State playing at ORU on Dec. 18, the night after the Bears play at Tulsa.

— Ben Johnson (@BenJohnsonTUL)

December 7, 2014

This is a first for ORU....can't remember a game ever being postponed.....hopefully the schools can agree on a make up date..... :nerd:

Good thing this wasn't the PSO Mayor's Cup! Sure hope they can agree on a make up date...we need the games!

So what's going on?....are they rescheduling the game any time soon?.... :nerd:

caught Coach Sutton on his coach's show via tunein.  still no date set for make-up. 

he really wished Mo St would have stayed a bit longer to play the game (for traveling families, stadium workers, etc.).  he likes to think if he was the visiting team he would have, but understood with finals that Lusk did not want to wait without a definitive time for lights to be back on.

first year of 6 game contract:

2014 - home and away

2015 - home and away

2016 - @ Mo St

2017 - @ ORU

Sutton wants to make the game up this year ideally.  Lusk shot down all dates and said they needed to get back and look at their schedule.  ORU coaches reached out to Mo St coaches today, but did not have their calls returned.  they are hoping to hear back tomorrow.

Coach Sutton does not want to give up the home game and would be willing to settle for only away this year and then turning 2016 into home and away to make up for the ORU's lost home game.  if Mo St is unwilling to resched this year or add future ORU home date, he and Mike Carter will have to sit down and decide what to do about the game at Mo St later this year.

that's where it stands to the best of my recollection.  if i missed anything or misheard anything please correct.

• Upvote 1

The way TheEagleman sees it  is there is really no reason that MSU can't come to Mabee and play this game after they play TU before Christmas or the date right after Christmas the day before the Haskell game...it just makes sense.....come on Bears.....DO THE RIGHT THING!!!.... :nerd:

It's become pretty obvious that Missouri State coach Paul Lusk is not interested in playing ORU in Tulsa this year.

Either ORU is better than Lusk anticipated when they inked the deal months ago, or his MSU squad is not as good as he had hoped. 

Maybe it's both.

Whatever the reason, I'll be really surprised if they work out a game at the Mabee Center this season. 

Lusk just doesn't seem motivated to make it happen.

That's really short sighted on the part of Lusk....why would he jeapordize this entire relationship between the schools and the series just because he doesn't want to play at Mabee Center this season?....TheEagleman sure hopes this can be resolved because this has been a fun series with the Bears.....its all very strange.... :|

....why would he jeapordize this entire relationship between the schools and the series just because he doesn't want to play at Mabee Center this season?

Because he's a Big XII guy with high aspirations, using Missouri State a stepping-stone to a bigger job, that's why.

He 's apparently not concerned about the long-term relationship between ORU and MSU; he's thinking about wins on his resume.

Think "Doug Wojcik"...

LOL....and Wojcik is now in the unemployment line......gotta love it.... :wasntme:

What goes around comes around in the coaching fraternity of college basketball. I think it may be too early to know for sure if Lusk is trying to duck this game. If he is then he looks like a coward.

You never know, he could be out on his can in a few years and hoping to get a job at a Summit League or Southland school. You want to keep good relationships with others in the fraternity because you never know when you might want someone to put in a good word for you.

Hopefully the Missouri State AD and Mike Carter can get this figured out.

Of course by seeming to be unwilling to work with us, when we do eventually play them it will make the game a little more interesting. Occurrences like this build good rivalry between teams over time if they will continue to put you on their schedule.

If there was an obvious date between now and conference play to reschedule the game, I'd be more willing to call Coach Lusk a coward.

Since that date doesn't exist, let's just chalk it up to a coach not wanting to put his team into a less-than-ideal game situation, which virtually all coaches avoid at all costs.

What goes around comes around in the coaching fraternity of college basketball. I think it may be too early to know for sure if Lusk is trying to duck this game. If he is then he looks like a coward.

You never know, he could be out on his can in a few years and hoping to get a job at a Summit League or Southland school. You want to keep good relationships with others in the fraternity because you never know when you might want someone to put in a good word for you.

Hopefully the Missouri State AD and Mike Carter can get this figured out.

Of course by seeming to be unwilling to work with us, when we do eventually play them it will make the game a little more interesting. Occurrences like this build good rivalry between teams over time if they will continue to put you on their schedule.

Yeah, I don't understand being so obstinate with a Sutton, especially the one with the reputation of being the "nice guy" in the family.  Might come back to bite Lusk some day.

As they say, karma is a b***h...

When you have a contract you need to honor it. It wasn't ORU's fault that the power grid went down. By not waiting until 5:30 to play the game, which I think would have been reasonable, Missouri State created this problem, so they should be willing to make it work. It's not like it's the end of February. I'm sure they will work it out.

I think the NCAA requires you to play a certain number of games in order to be eligible for postseason play, so I would think it would be in both team's best interest to figure it out.

Where is it written this game has to be played before December 31st?

High majors play non-conference games all the time from January to March (though typically for TV purposes) and both ORU and MSU have gaps in their schedules during those weeks where this game could be played.

Call Lusk whatever you want, but I'm betting Scott Sutton would have rescheduled this game without hesitation if the scenario were reversed.

The Weber State game this year is a perfect example of Scott not trying to "avoid at all costs a less-than-ideal situation for his team":  a return game at altitude in a difficult (and expensive) place to reach, two seasons removed from a now-defunct event (ESPN BracketBusters).

That's called "integrity".  Let's hope we see a similar gesture out of Springfield...

Not much integrity left in college sports these days.....TheEagleman is proud to be an ORU Alum where we still have some...... :clap: