ORU at Weber State

theeagleman5

The dude banked in the 3 from 40 feet at the end of the first half - foul to give or no, that's a pretty lucky shot.

But the three at the end of the game was inexcusable:  as seen in the video, Brandon let Korey run into a screen and didn't "hedge" out far enough on the shooter as he cleared the pick. 

That's man-to-man defense 101 right there - gotta really "jump the screen" late and make that guy stop dead in his tracks or drive into the lane.

But; shoot better than 2-for-6 from the line in the final 40 seconds, and none of that crap matters...

The dude banked in the 3 from 40 feet at the end of the first half - foul to give or no, that's a pretty lucky shot.

which is why you don't even allow the situation to happen.  you foul like 99.999999% of coaches would with a foul to give.  however, twice on this roadtrip, ORU's coaches choose not to and both times they gave up a 3 to end the first half.

which is why you don't even allow the situation to happen.  you foul like 99.999999% of coaches would with a foul to give.  however, twice on this roadtrip, ORU's coaches choose not to and both times they gave up a 3 to end the first half.

I hear ya, but at least you have 20 minutes to make up for 1st half mistakes.

But, better teams (or in this case, a not-so-good team playing at home and desperate for a win) make the plays in the last minute or two of the game.

There's a reason it's called "Crunch Time":  if you don't make the plays, crunched is what you get...

Such a shame....ORU deserved to win but let it get away....bad decisions and missed FTs.....this one really hurts because a win at Weber State would have been very nice along with getting back to .500......TheEagleman was too upset to even post last night.....still stings this morning...... :doh:

Upon further reflection, I will say this:  I bet NO ONE feels worse right now than Kory and Obi.

Coach Sutton said recently that he told them, "For us to win, we need you two to play well."

I bet they both will voluntarily be putting in some extra time on free throws in a darkened Mabee Center this week.

Meanwhile, some high praise from the Weber State coach after the game:

#ORUMBB RT @WeberHQ: "I love their team. They are junkyard dogs." -Randy Rahe about @ORUMBB http://t.co/XNYVd0yFFU

— ORU Basketball (@ORUMBB)

December 2, 2014

I'm wondering if Obi is still getting his game legs in shape. He's playing a ton of minutes and after his 3 for 12 performance and going 1 for 3 from the line, you have to wonder ...

I posted this on Twitter but one positive take away from the game is how well the rest of the team played. Huge minutes from Conley, Owens and Wilson. Need Harris and/or Lee to step up.

Wilson looked better than I've ever seen him before and Conley made some nice contributions as well. Owens was up and down early and then didn't get as much playing time late when I would have liked for him to be in there.

There are some defensive lapses here and there but overall I think this team plays pretty consistent defense. They played well enough all night to win this game. Gotta make your FTs in crunch time.

This one was a tough one to swallow....TheEagleman is still hurting....I might be over it by the weekend..... :|

This Memphis team is absolutely a mess. Down 11 to Stephen F Austin. Here’s what I wrote about them after Wichita: http://t.co/xT3Zl3rOyM

— Sam Vecenie (@Sam_Vecenie)

December 3, 2014

AAC one bid league? With how Memphis has started the season, it'll be disappointing if we don't play them very close, even at their place.

...and to think Tulsa could have had Underwood for half of what they are paying Haith.  i still don't understand why he did not get a serious look from them.

back to last night, it was encouraging to see Wilson and Conley's improved play like ORUJason mentioned.  i think playing against Bolomboy had Conley pumped to play; ORU needs that from him every game.

a win against Mo State will go along way to putting last nights meltdown behind them.  all that matters is improving into league play and then into the conference tournament.  i still like our chances at the end of any tight game with the ball in the hands of Korey and Obi.

I have no doubt that both Emegano and Billbury want to win - and will continue to work toward that end. We need other players to step up and relieve the pressure. Both of them are playing a lot of minutes and I'm not sure they can keep it up.

The good news is that we could be undefeated right now, albeit in a perfect world. By this I mean we have not been blown out by anyone we have played and have been in each game. That is a good sign! What is frustrating is knowing that we could have a lot better record. Weber State shot lights out from 3 point range. But teams we play will have those type of games. We just have to learn to overcome those games. Keep your heads up boys, keep improving and you will go far, not only this year but next year when we return basically the entire team. GO GOLDEN EAGLES!

By the way, we are proud of you guys and I love how you represent our beloved institution. ORU is a special place and a special family!

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman is impressed with Obi watching video on the way back to Tulsa....that kid is special.....time to get over a tough loss.....besides, we all know that great lessons can be learned from adversity.....the Bible says that God teaches us through difficult circumstances....so it's on to Sunday and Missouri State....Go Blue!.... :eagles: