Haywoode Workman

theeagleman5

TheEagleman is watching the Sixers-Trailblazers game tonight and reffing the game along with NBA vet crew chief Joey Crawford is former ORU star guard Haywoode Workman.....Haywoode has been on the NBA officiating  staff for 6 seasons now full time and he is the 3rd former NBA player to become a ref.....no really bad calls yet....76ers heading to 0-14...... :|

• Upvote 1

I was a student when Haywoode came to ORU from Winston-Salem State, I believe Ted Owens was the coach at the time.  His second year I was working on the stat crew and I can still remember him dribbling down the court and as soon as he opened his mouth to bark out directions you knew it was him.  He had a unique pitch to his voice.  I'm not saying it was girlie or anything but it was kind of high, and unique.  Not making fun of him, it just makes me laugh a little when I think of it.  Anyway, he was a great player and obviously went on to have a nice NBA career and now a nice post-playing career as an NBA referee.

He was a real find out of Winston-Salem, and played with another ORU great who also came from a smaller school- Greg Sutton, who started out at Langston in Oklahoma before becoming a Titan.  The memories...

• 2 weeks later...

When Haywoode played for the Pacers, he was a hard nosed guy. Reminds me of George Hill with the Spurs. Gotta love these Mid Major players in the pros.

• Upvote 1