ORU vs. LA-Lafayette

theeagleman5

There were times last year when this team (I hate to say) quit.

I was really hopeful that, with a few personnel changes and Obi's return, this season would be different.  It at least looked different last week at Missouri, when ORU battled down to the wire.

But, these last two games feel like the worst of last season, all over again.

The word I keep thinking of is disfunctional.

ORU falls 76-52 in a game where the score isn't even indicative of how lopsided the game was......and Vegas had us as a 4 point favorite at tip off.....yeah....hard to believe..... :puke: :puke: :puke:

ORU shoots 24-for-99 in games at Oregon State and vs. Louisiana-Lafayette, with just 10 assists total.

Would have to think that's some sort of record for futility in both categories over a two-game stretch.

• Upvote 1

24 FGs over a two game stretch for ORU.....probably two of the worst shooting games in the 50 year history of ORU basketball.

21% and 27% respectively....historically bad

EDIT:

dup post --- my bad....OT read my mind.

24 FGs over a two game stretch for ORU.....probably two of the worst shooting games in the 50 year history of ORU basketball.

21% and 27% respectively....historically bad

EDIT:

dup post --- my bad....OT read my mind.

LOL - I think we're ALL thinking the same thing: 

"HOLY COW - WHAT THE HECK HAS HAPPENED TO THIS TEAM IN JUST ONE WEEK???" :huh:

Yes....after beating TU on Nov. 15  things were really looking good for this team....we played a pretty good first half at Missouri and really could have won that game but fell apart in the final 5-6 minutes....now these past 2 games at Oregon State and ULL have been a total disgrace....what did Coach Sutton say on his post game show?....TheEagleman has no idea what to expect vs. Milwaukee today....this could get really ugly.... :sweat:

Yes....after beating TU on Nov. 15  things were really looking good for this team....we played a pretty good first half at Missouri and really could have won that game but fell apart in the final 5-6 minutes....now these past 2 games at Oregon State and ULL have been a total disgrace....what did Coach Sutton say on his post game show?....TheEagleman has no idea what to expect vs. Milwaukee today....this could get really ugly.... :sweat:

https://t.co/wUjSyHio9k #orumbb Sutton on radio after loss. @tulsaanimal971

— Geoff Haxton (@GeoffHaxton)

November 26, 2014

IMHO there are just so many similarities to the start of this year and last season....after the win over Tulsa last year they played well in the 1st half vs K State and St. Louis before losing....yes they beat Ga. So. And BGSU , but those games were close...maybe it's a bad excuse, but I can't imagine these November extended road trips help the level of play?

At this rate a .500 season may be the result again...

On the post game show with Hax, Coach was obviously disappointed, but the one encouraging thing for me was that he said the team isn't playing selfish, just not confident....the selfish part might of applied to last years team....

Having said all that, I've got a good feeling about Milwaukee today....probably gonna be close though....

Did not watch the game, but from what I heard and the end result - it was ugly. Shots did not fall and we seemed to be lethargic and uninspired. We only had five assists for the game. I know that this is a function of our poor shooting - but that is pathetic. Henderson goes 6 of 11 from the field and grabs 10 rebounds - but is only 3 of 9 from the charity stripe. Billbury shoots 4 of 16 from the field and only grabs 2 rebounds - 38 minutes of play. Obi plays 25 minutes before fouling out. Conley only plays 14 minutes but has zero(!?) personal fouls. Is that a misprint? Owens only plays 2 minutes but makes two blocks - no points or rebounds. Harris plays 5 minutes and goes 0 for 5 from the field.

Looks like Sutton tried different combinations but nothing seemed to work.

Not having a true point guard who can guide the offense continues to hamstring the team.

Not to pile on, but we could/should be 4-0 right now. Hopefully someone grows a set and we start to play basketball! This is pathetic!

There is no post scoring threat, so the defense can key on Bilbury and Omegano and shut them down.  They have to develop some low post scoring because the team is unbalanced offensively.  They need to start trying to run some low post offense through Henderson and Owens.  I have no idea why Owens only played 2 minutes.  Conley can be a nice complementary small forward, but he can't be counted on to be a consistent scorer.

With the players we have, we cannot run a 4-guard offense and expect to win a lot of games.  I sometimes wonder about basketball players in general who have played basketball since they were in 1st grade and then suddenly appear like they have no idea how to run an offense.  It makes me wonder if the coaches are trying to implement a bunch of new things that somehow threw off the players, which I doubt, or if the fatigue of the road has caused them to lose their focus.  Hopefully they kick it in today.  

Hard to have a low post game if your point guard can't / won't make an entry pass. Post players are almost entirely dependent on the perimeter players to get them the ball. Can you imagine if Caleb Green was on this team and the guards couldn't/wouldn't get him the ball?

What we have here is a (continuing) massive failure at the point guard position.