ORU @ Mizzou

ORUalum

Is there an SEC Network Plus channel on Directv where they would stream the game on tv? Similar to what ESPN3 used to do?

credit to the team for gutting out the rest of the half after Obi went to the bench.  now we need Obi to come out and pick up where he left off.

the back to back Henderson and Emegano front end misses on the 1 and 1's really hurt.....essentially 2 turnovers.

ORU led for most of the first half and early into the 2nd half but faltered at Missouri 78-64.....Obi had a career high with 30 but got no help from his teammates.....Obi shoots 8-14 but the rest of the Golden Eagles went 10-30 from the field....a sure receipe for defeat.....TheEagleman thought we could steal one tonight and for the first 20 minutes it appeared that ORU had a good shot to do it....40-38 lead at half....but only 24 points in the 2nd half....somewhat disappointing....so it's on to Corvallis, OR and the Beavers of OSU....we need some scoring from the supporting cast....and Conley (fouled out again tonight) needs to find a way to stay in the game and put a few baskets in the net..... :|

We really need an interior offensive threat to develop to take the pressure off Obi. Anyone have any insight into why so many fouls were called? Were we out of control or were the refs calling it really tight? 

....and Conley (fouled out again tonight) needs to find a way to stay in the game and put a few baskets in the net..... :|

not entirely his fault when he is the only post player on the floor to start the first and second half.  he is going to stick out like a thumb and try to do too much.  if you were opposing ORU wouldn't feed it down low every trip if they were using a 4 guard lineup?  i still contend Sutton needs to start Billbury, Emegano, Word/Webber, Conley, and Henderson.

i'll go out on a limb and state that if Conley is the only post in the starting line-up at OR St., he will get in early foul trouble again and eventually foul out for his 3rd consecutive game.

TheEagleman agrees, Alum...that's not a good situation....we have to start bigger guys....I didn't see the game last night so not fair for me to comment...but we can't have Conley as the "big man" in the line up...he will foul out every time within 10-15 minutes.... :!:

Or start using a zone defense for a majority of the game. Of course that causes other problems/issues.

Right on the money, Alum.

The 4 guard line-up won't fly against most teams, unless you have 2-3 of them killing it from 3-point land.

Funny how Coach Sutton was a genius last Saturday vs. TU then became an idiot last night at Missouri.....bottom line is you can't play a small line up for very long against 6'10" guys.... :nerd:

I was fortunate enough to see the game from courtside last night in Columbia:  drove up to see my daughter, who's a junior at Mizzou, and was able to sit right behind the ORU bench. Paltry crowd of about four thousand at best in Mizzou Arena, a bizarre building buried into the top of a hill.  You enter at the highest level, then walk forever downstairs to get to the floor.  Walking back up to exit after the game was even more taxing; felt sorry for many of the older fans who struggled making the climb (in other words:  me).

Some post-game thoughts:

•  ORU played well for 30 minutes, then in a pattern becoming all too familiar in recent seasons, faded down the stretch.  Obi and Korey obviously need some help in the scoring column - they both expend a lot of energy getting their shots, playing defense, and hitting the boards (especially Korey). Gotta find that ever-elusive third scorer!  Critical turnovers, missed free throws and short shots in crunch time were the difference in the game, and appeared to be fatigue-related. 

• Never seen a Scott Sutton team run as much zone as he did last night.  Apparently, the consensus of the scouting report was that Missouri could not shoot 3's.  Well, last night they did, and they made more than half of them (12 for 21, or something like that).  Some of them in the second half were so wild, Scott and Sean Sutton just shook their heads and laughed.  At a critical juncture with about 5:00 to go in a 3-point game, their big man stepped out and beat the shot clock with a rainbow, which was a dagger.  They also had a lot of success shooting 3's from the corners over ORU's smaller guards in the zone.  The price of going with the 4-guard line-up, I suppose:  taller players can simply shoot over you.

â€¢ Obi was brilliant the first ten minutes before committing a silly second foul on a reach-around that sent him to the bench for the remainder of the half.  I can think of a handful of performances by ORU players on the road that compare:  Anthony Roberts averaging 30+ on a West Coast swing in '77 that included 40-or-so points at USC; Caleb Green going for 30+ at Missouri State his junior or senior year; Moses Ehambe dropping 40+ on Western Illinois in Macomb, Chris Riouse hitting something like ten 3's at Oakland his senior year.  But, I have to say, what Obi did to start the game last night ranked right up there with those performances.  He simply could not miss from anywhere on the floor, and was in complete control with the ball in his hands.  He's going to score 40 points on someone this year.  Heck, it might even happen on this road trip.  Just a talented, smart dude - love watching him play.

• Never seen Scott subsitute so much with so many players in a close, meaningful game.  LOTS of guys got opportunities last night; some took advantage, some did not.  The player who made the most of his minutes was Albert Owens.  I have yet to see him make a "freshman mistake" when catching the ball in the post.  He continues to look more and more polished with the ball in his hands down low.  At this rate, he will be averaging double figures in conference play.  His ceiling continues to rise, and his game continues to keep pace with it.  As for the guys who paled in the spotlight, it's pretty obvious:  the point guard candidates simply are not performing well at all.  Because of it, Korey was relegated to handling most of the point guard chores last night, and that's just asking too much when he's also the leading rebounder, and being asked to score,  plus guard the best or 2nd-best scorer for the opposition every night.  Singleton and Lee have GOT to step up their games, or it will hurt ORU every night out.

• Brandon Conley just needs to calm down.  He's quickly going the route of Steven Roundtree when it comes to silly, meaningless fouls.  It's like watching a golfer with the yips, or Steve Sax play second base:  you know it's coming - hell, HE knows it coming - yet he does it anyway.  Painful to witness.

• At the risk of sounding like a dirty old man, I am happy to report that the Mizzou Golden Girls are still every bit as potent as when I first marveled at their talents in my college days.  And now, with new improved Spandex!

Regarding Albert Owens, imagine how he'll be next season and following after he's had a big-man camp or two in the summer.