ORU-TU game on the internet?

Sterns78

From a basketball point of view, you want a homecoming game in February during conference games so that the extra crowd support could make the difference in the outcome of an important game.

Lots of great feedback on ESPN3, so not a surprise to see someone pull an old trick and completely change the subject.

Since this is now the appropriate place to discuss it, Homecoming scheduling came straight from the top. This year and next. Any and all disagreement on the subject should be directed there.

• Upvote 1

Since this is now the appropriate place to discuss it, Homecoming scheduling came straight from the top. This year and next. Any and all disagreement on the subject should be directed there.

Let me add some color to this story.  The driver behind this decision is the celebration of ORU's 50th anniversary, which began in August with the arrival of the 50th Freshman class and will culminate in later years with the 50th graduation ceremony.  A key event in this multi-year celebration will be the "ORU Anniversary Celebration Week", with a variety of activities scheduled across campus.  As many of these activities are to be held outdoors, the Celebration Week has been scheduled for October 2015, as October is usually one of the mildest weather months in Tulsa.  And, in order to maximize the number of students, faculty, friends and alumni at the event - this week will also serve as Homecoming (with many of the normal Homecoming activities scheduled for the weekend).  Obviously, this schedule does not fit well with the athletic calendar of ORU's major sport - men's basketball.

As an alumnus and a proponent of ORU Athletics, I am very disappointed to not have "Homecoming" match up with a regular season game, and I'm sure the Athletic Department is equally disappointed.  However, understanding that this is a "once-in-every-fifty-years" schedule adjustment, I can also see the merits of bringing the whole ORU community together for the Anniversary Celebration Week.

I am hopeful that we can make this a "win-win" by adding a new Alumni-focused event for a Saturday in February 2016, which would include a home basketball game against a conference opponent.  Any brain-storming ideas from the message board posters as to what this alumni event might look like would be appreciated.  Perhaps we could start a new tradition that could be carried forward for years to come!

Thanks BB. I also agree that I as an alum will not be back for a "Homecoming" without a basketball game and that includes one which is a "scrimmage". What a way to kill alumni support. I could care less about "outdoor" activities.

Lots of great feedback on ESPN3, so not a surprise to see someone pull an old trick and completely change the subject.

Geez, what an a--hole you are.

I accidentally posted my post-game notes on this thread - thought about moving it after the fact, but it was 1:00 in the morning and I figured everyone who's opinion I respect would recognize the mistake. Should have realized a twit like you might make a federal case of it.

Not going to take the bait re: the ESPN3 crap.  Save it for another day - and try not to tear a rotator cuff patting yourself on the back.

P.S. The lunch offer still stands, hotshot...and we're all still waiting for your first-ever post that isn't merely ripping someone's previous comments.

Let me add some color to this story.  The driver behind this decision is the celebration of ORU's 50th anniversary, which began in August with the arrival of the 50th Freshman class and will culminate in later years with the 50th graduation ceremony.  A key event in this multi-year celebration will be the "ORU Anniversary Celebration Week", with a variety of activities scheduled across campus.  As many of these activities are to be held outdoors, the Celebration Week has been scheduled for October 2015, as October is usually one of the mildest weather months in Tulsa.  And, in order to maximize the number of students, faculty, friends and alumni at the event - this week will also serve as Homecoming (with many of the normal Homecoming activities scheduled for the weekend).  Obviously, this schedule does not fit well with the athletic calendar of ORU's major sport - men's basketball.

As an alumnus and a proponent of ORU Athletics, I am very disappointed to not have "Homecoming" match up with a regular season game, and I'm sure the Athletic Department is equally disappointed.  However, understanding that this is a "once-in-every-fifty-years" schedule adjustment, I can also see the merits of bringing the whole ORU community together for the Anniversary Celebration Week.

I am hopeful that we can make this a "win-win" by adding a new Alumni-focused event for a Saturday in February 2016, which would include a home basketball game against a conference opponent.  Any brain-storming ideas from the message board posters as to what this alumni event might look like would be appreciated.  Perhaps we could start a new tradition that could be carried forward for years to come!

thanks for the explanation.  it still seems short sided forcing homecoming into the week long anniversary celebration.  i fail to understand why they could not be separate events.  2,500 people in a 10,000 seat arena for a homecoming exhibition game will be flat embarrassing for the team and the current students.

i think they are way overestimating just how many alumni will return to campus for a week long celebration.   and i don't think fence sitters will be tilted into attending by the lure of an exhibition game against East Popcorn State.

there is still time to fix this, i assume.  i hope someone with some sense can get to Dr Wilson and the alumni director.

• Upvote 1

maybe there is hope.    will the NCAA even allow you to schedule an exhibition that early?  let's hope not....

http://www.oru.edu/alumni_and_friends/alumni/

Next year, ORU celebrates its 50th anniversary. A special celebration week--a time for alumni to come home again--will take place October 19-24, so mark your calendars. Further details will be announced in the near future... (Note: There is NO HOMECOMING in February!)

Even if the NCAA rules against an early exhibition, I doubt the dates get moved.

The brass will mandate an alumni/player scrimmage or an open practice before they change the date. Hey, maybe eagleman gets the Blue/White game he's been jonesing for the last three years...

obviously the dates aren't moving since they've now been posted --- just call it an anniversary and not Homecoming.

if Dr Wilson has to have a sporting event for the anniversary celebration ---  use a home soccer game and show off the Case Soccer Complex.

leave Homecoming for a regular season, meaningful basketball game, whether it's in November or February.