East Central Pre- (and now Post-) Game Thoughts

Old Titan

Needless to say, looking forward to seeing the 2014-2015 edition of the Golden Eagles on Monday night vs. East Central University of Ada, in their first outing of the year also. 

Don't know about you, but I'm going to be focusing on:

1.  Point guard play

2.  Obi's mobility and explosiveness

3.  Point guard play

4.  Whether Brandon Conley has developed a face-to-the-basket game

5.  Point guard play

6.  If Big A.J. is ready to contribute now, or is a project

7.  Did I mention point guard play?

Should be fun!

Was just checking out the Game Notes for Monday night, and they have a projected starting line-up ("based on previous season") of the following:

Singleton

Word

Bilbury

Emegano

Conley

I hope that's not the case, at least once the non-conference schedule gets started.  Maybe it's just conjecture based on last year's stats.

That group is really small - need another "big" in there with Conley, and bring one of those four guards off the bench.

That five might work for exhibition play, and even against many (most?) teams in the Summit, but the (literally) big boys like OU and Memphis might eat it alive...

Of the four guards in that group, Word was the weakest ball handler last year, and between Korey and Obi his perimeter shooting is not necessary in the opening minutes of each half.  Would rather see him coming off the bench for some instant offense, ala Robert Jarvis, Chris Rouse or Moses Ehambe as an underclassman. 

Singleton is the one who needs the reps right now, to prove he can be a facilitator and a defender.

If he can't do both, it's best to find out as soon as possible and give one of the other point prospects a chance at running the show.

I've heard Coach Sutton mention that he really likes our guards this year - and that we'll play a lot of "inside out" on offense.  Therefore, I'd like to see if we have several options that can drain the three on a consistent basis, ala Jarvis or Niles.  Bobby Word was decent last year, and has proven that he can be one of those options.  Will Dederick Lee be another?  And more???

I'm still hopeful Adrion Webber can find his outside stroke in his senior year.  With his size, he brings a lot to the table defensively and on the boards.  If he or the 2nd-year freshman transfer Harris can become consistent "kick out" threats on the perimeter, it would add a whole new complement to the slashing drives of Emegano and Bilbury.

Don't be surprised to see Dederick Lee and/or Darian Harris start or see significant minutes tomorrow night.  Those two freshmen should be contributing a lot of minutes to the team this year if expectations are what they seem to be.  We could see two freshmen, two juniors and a senior starting tomorrow night.  It provides a lot to look forward to for the next couple of years if these guys gel as hoped.

• Upvote 2

We have heard a lot about Lee over the past 18 months....TheEagleman is looking forward to see how he does in these pre-season games.....hoping to see some explosive offensive production from ORU....we are gonna need it with all the tough OOC games coming up....also, the Obi/Billbury combination could be devastating for our opponents.... :nerd:

Yes....ORU is going to need some productive minutes from the big guy Owens or Henderson....we can't play a line up of all guys 6'5" and under.......can we?..... :sweat:

Any Watch ESPN TV for this game or does that not start since exhibition?

According to the game notes, video is available via ELIve for the usual fees, in addition to Geoff Haxton's radio call streaming for free.

If Albert Owens is what I think he is, we have a chance to be pretty good this year.

We have plenty of guards and Conley, Wilson, and Henderson are known quantities, being 3 solid role players that are tough, can defend the post, and rebound the ball.

I am also intrigued by what Darian Harris might bring? Will know much more at 9pm tonight...

Have heard that Owens has good offensive skills in the post but is still working on his defense - what freshman isn't? He was interviewed (along with Obi) by Geoff Haxton at the Courtside Countdown dinner last week and he is a very articulate, intelligent young man.

Have heard that Owens has good offensive skills in the post but is still working on his defense - what freshman isn't? He was interviewed (along with Obi) by Geoff Haxton at the Courtside Countdown dinner last week and he is a very articulate, intelligent young man.

All things considered, I can more easily tolerate a talented first-year big man who's "soft" on defense (Damen Bell-Holter, for example) over one that's over-aggressive and commits silly fouls (ala Steven Roundtree his freshman year).

You can't get any better if you're always on the bench in foul trouble.

Beat me to it. At the pre-game dinner. Kyan Brown says that Dederick Lee will start at point. Likes the team chemistry. The coaches are anxious to see how we look

• Upvote 1

Good to see that Harris is obviously doing well enough to earn a starting spot. The two Arkansas freshmen start together. Would be nice if this begins a four year collaboration.