Coach Sutton Comments On First Practice (YouTube)

Old Titan

good stuff...sounds like "Big Albert" will be called upon to contribute right away.

good stuff...sounds like "Big Albert" will be called upon to contribute right away.

Love that he goes by "A.J." (for Albert, Jr. I suppose)

While coaching my son the past few years, I know I had more than a half-dozen players who officially went by "first-letter-of-first-name-followed-by-the-letter-J".

There was an R.J., a G.J., a J.J., a P.J., a V.J., and at least two A.J.'s that I can remember right off the bat.

And two kids named "Trey" and "Tre", respectively, since they were the third version in three generations.

And these weren't nicknames - these were the names their parents gave me for the roster.

I don't recall that phenomenon in my youth.  Maybe a couple of "Juniors", or "Bubbas" for guys named after their dads, but this whole  "blank-J" thing seems like a more recent trend to me....am I wrong?

i think we can thank Michael Jordan for all the young people running around being call  "__. J."

Not just coaches; media relations personnel and selected media-types vote also.

Strange that of the top five teams, ORU was the only one not to get a first-place vote.

I wonder if those who vote are projecting the regular season champ or the tournament champ.

Which might explain why someone surprisingly picked South Dakota State - closest thing to a home court favorite in the new arena?

And which also might explain why no one picked ORU, since the Golden Eagles are 0-fer-Sioux Falls.

Glad (and not surprised) to hear about Albert/AJ.

We have plenty of guards. We have some decent forwards, but Albert gives us a player different than any on the roster and allows other players on our roster to play closer to their natural positions and not have to guard players MUCH bigger than themselves.

Albert -at the 5

Billbury & Obi at the 1/2

Then, many combinations of players at the 3 & 4 spots

At least, that's the way I envision it...

I think of Obi as a 3 rather than a 2. Maybe I am wrong about that. However i do like Bilbury playing some PG if it opens up a spot for a good SG like perhaps Dederick Lee.

If you play Obi at the 3, then we are REALLY small. Obi is about 6-2, maybe 6-3.

I'm not disagreeing with you per se, but going that route makes us a very small team. especially with Conley (presumably) at the 4.

My ideal starting five would be Korey, Obi, Brandon, a rotation of guys at the 4, and AJ in the middle. But, I could be WAY off base.

In my mind, the wild card is Darian Harris, the Creighton transfer.

IF, and I repeat IF he can defend well enough to please the coaches AND can fill it up on the offensive end, he also gives us something we don't have on the roster. A 6-6 guy that can shoot the 3 is VERY intriguing. We shall see...

In my mind, the wild card is Darian Harris, the Creighton transfer.

IF, and I repeat IF he can defend well enough to please the coaches AND can fill it up on the offensive end, he also gives us something we don't have on the roster. A 6-6 guy that can shoot the 3 is VERY intriguing. We shall see...

Hasn't this scenario been envisioned for several years now?

Andrew Meloy (his 6th year), Jake Lliteras, Adrian Webber, etc. - always looking for that tall dude off the bench, knockin' down 3's from the wing.

And always with the same caveat:  "Can he play defense well enough to get in the rotation?"

Hopefully Webber is able to step up this year. He seemed to be overthinking everything last year, so maybe another year will give him the confidence he needs to play to his potential. 

Hasn't this scenario been envisioned for several years now?

Andrew Meloy (his 6th year), Jake Lliteras, Adrian Webber, etc. - always looking for that tall dude off the bench, knockin' down 3's from the wing.

And always with the same caveat:  "Can he play defense well enough to get in the rotation?"

interesting mention of Andrew Meloy.  could he make it six years at ORU now?  right or wrong if a guy is not in the 8 man rotation after 2 yrs (or 3 yrs w/a redshirt) he moves on or is "encouraged" to move on.  Meloy endured injuries and the end of the bench until that sixth year when he became a contributor off the bench and helped the team win games.

on the line-up, we need orumbb_insider to chime in about what he is hearing/seeing.  he tipped us last year about Singleton pushing Jackson at point.  if AY, Singleton, or Dederick Lee aren't ready to start, a line-up of Billbury, Emagano, Harris, Conley, and Henderson would be interesting.

I hope Henderson is good enough to warrant some playing time. Before he was declared in eligible last year, I still don't remember him making a significant contribution. I didn't really see him separating himself from Drew Wilson.

Last year it seemed like Scott usually had either DJ or Singleton in the game at PG and either Bilbury or Word in at SG with Obi at the 3 (until he got hurt). That is why I perceived Obi as more of a 3. I guess it was really just a 3 guard lineup.

The deal with Obi is you can play him at 2,3 or small 4 depending on matchups as he is very strong and won't be an easy post up for anyone. Also a tough match up on the offensive side for bigger players. Please stay healthy this year Obi!

You would hope Wilson can play some good minutes this year at the 4 and 5.

I heard Meloy found another year of eligibility and will be back in uniform again this year... Just joking. He was one of those guys that seemed like he was around forever.

I hope Henderson is good enough to warrant some playing time. Before he was declared in eligible last year, I still don't remember him making a significant contribution. I didn't really see him separating himself from Drew Wilson.

Last year it seemed like Scott usually had either DJ or Singleton in the game at PG and either Bilbury or Word in at SG with Obi at the 3 (until he got hurt). That is why I perceived Obi as more of a 3. I guess it was really just a 3 guard lineup.

Denell had some nice games on the road in December that many of us may not have seen.  He really played well against Baylor's bigs in Waco (6-for-9 for 16 points, with 8 rebounds and 2 blocks) on Dec. 30th.

He was just starting to knock off the juco rust last year when his season ended so abruptly.  Hopefully, he can pick up where he left off, and not have to start from scratch against this year's rugged non-conference slate.