2014: ORU vs TU

SOLO_Gold

The ORU Athletic Department (Stillwater East U.) has been readily (and rightfully) criticized for "not getting ORU's culture and history".  But Saturday night, they "nailed it" by debuting the throwback Titans shooting shirts for Homecoming.  It was a VERY nice touch that resonated well with alumni from the 70's and 80's, and did not go unnoticed!

I was vocal with my criticism on the above topic, and I'll be vocal with my praise as well. The "Titans" moniker is very meaningful to those of us of early ORU vintage, but based on things I'd heard around over the years I thought we'd never see the name on ORU athletes again. So happy I was wrong! The warm-ups were a nice tribute to the early days of ORU basketball and a fitting acknowledgement of the old-timers there for the "fiftieth" anniversary. Whoever it was that came up with the idea and acted upon it, I must say it was greatly appreciated!

Yes. I want a Titans throwback shirt, too!!!

Dude, you know we could do something about this:  there are no licensing issues with simply doing shirts with a script "Titans" on it.... 8)

• Upvote 1

Dude, you know we could do something about this: there are no licensing issues with simply doing shirts with a script "Titans" on it.... 8)

Grab some Nike shirts and do it!

Dude, you know we could do something about this:  there are no licensing issues with simply doing shirts with a script "Titans" on it.... 8)

You're welcome to use the logo from my avatar. ;-)

• Upvote 1

A couple of additional "kudos" where due...

Coach Sutton has received a lot of criticism in past years regarding game line-up management, the failure to call momentum-shifting time-outs, and stubbornly sticking with a man-to-man defense even when it was ineffective.  He totally out-coached Haith on Saturday night - and was brilliant in all of the aspects mentioned above.  While the players deserve the praise for gutting out a hard-earned victory, this game could have easily been lost if not for Coach Sutton's excellence in game management.

The ORU Athletic Department (Stillwater East U.) has been readily (and rightfully) criticized for "not getting ORU's culture and history".  But Saturday night, they "nailed it" by debuting the throwback Titans shooting shirts for Homecoming.  It was a VERY nice touch that resonated well with alumni from the 70's and 80's, and did not go unnoticed!

^^This^^

Excellent post. Sometimes we get in the habit of only complaining and it's appropriate to point out the good things when they happen. 

No licensing issues but I bet it wouldn't help your current ORU business. :fubar:

No licensing issues but I bet it wouldn't help your current ORU business. :fubar:

LOL - I think I liked it better when you didn't read the message board!

Seriously, no worries. I look forward to the official vintage versions you referenced earlier - put me down for a XXL.

I'm just now seeing this - classic!!

TU Fan is all kinds of verklempt after losing badly to regional rivals ORU, OSU and Wichita State so far, with a likely beatdown from OU looming on the horizon.

Wondering if they have ever gone 0-4 to those teams in one season before?

Add the fact that the AAC as a whole has stumbled out of the blocks and is looking less and less like a 4-or-5 bid league and more and more like a 2-or-3 bid league, and TU fans are realizing that an NIT bid may be their best hope at this point, with a CBI bid looking more likely.

Unrelated to basketball, but I saw this morning that TU fired football coach Bill Blankenship. Blankenship was a local HS legend, but wasn't able to translate that to college level success. Too bad. He's a genuinely nice man and a devoted Christian.

• 2 weeks later...

i guess SE Oklahoma had that one circled on their schedule....haha!

i can't wait to see the meltdown on their message board.

SE OKLA ST 69- TU 66

Wow...

The same 4-6 SE Oklahoma that lost to UTEP earlier this year 105-58.

Glad this won't impact Tulsa's RPI!