2014: ORU vs TU

SOLO_Gold

Last year ORU took care of Tulsa at the Reynolds Center, 74-68. While this game remains somewhat unpredictable, I'm going to give us the edge this year; a combination of Homecoming, a healthy Obi and a fired up Billbury will be too much for the Golden Hurricane.

TU really came on strong to end the year last season, they have virtually everyone back from their NCAA team, their roster is almost exclusively juniors with two years of big-game experience under their belts, and they are bigger than ORU at every single position.

The biggest wildcard is their new head coach Frank Haith (fresh off his roller coaster tenure at Missouri) and how well the Golden Hurricane plays out of the gate under his direction. 

Should be a fascinating match-up...

• 1 month later...

With the game and the start of the regular season this Saturday, what do you guys think of the match up ahead? Early predictions? Crowd factor/attendance?

ORU won both pre-season games unimpressively while TU needed a late 2nd half burst to pull away and win their lone exhibition game against SW Oklahoma.....so TheEagleman isn't sure that we can draw many conclusions from any of that.....it's homecoming weekend at ORU and with a lot students and TU fans showing up there should be a near sellout crowd on Saturday night at Mabee Center.....it will be loud for a change at 81st and Lewis....hard to believe that the Good Guys won't be very motivated.....still TU has most of their guys coming back from last years' very good squad.....so how can you predict this one?....it's tough.....TheEagleman really doesn't have a feel for this one....I would guess that Coach Sutton hasn't been showing much in these first two games....at least I hope he hasn't because ORU hasn't looked that strong....I expect a sloppy opening game similar to last year....if we don't shoot better we will surely end up 0-1.....but this is a big game and a victory is badly needed to set the tone of the early part of the season....there are a lot of games that we can win but also a lot that we can lose....this is one that I believe ORU finds a way to win.....69-65.....Billbury leads with 22 and Obi adds another 20 and wills his teammates to a 2nd consecutive Mayors Cup victory.....Expect A Miracle!....GO BLUE!..... :nerd:

From what I have seen so far , we are not very good. That is just my take. Can't shoot the three, can't  rebound and play with little if any mojo. Tulsa by 15.  We are very small and are playing a 4 guard offense. They will have to show me the money!

i still think ORU needs to start 3 guards and 2 bigs - Billbury, Emegano, Webber, Conley, and Henderson.  the game could be lost in the first 8 minutes if Sutton starts the line up from the first exhibition.

no question that TU is the favorite, but i'll be expecting a miracle.

as to crowd size...two lower bowl sections sold out: L and K

It's not much of a match-up on paper.  TU simply looks too long, and has virtually eveyone back from a team that had some considerable momentum going at the end of last year.  ORU, on the other hand, lost their leading scorer from a roster that was sputtering in March and has changed dramatically in the off-season.

Still, it didn't look like last year would be much of a game, either, and ORU led most of the way.

Look, the formula for succes is pretty simple, the trick is putting it all together:

1.  Take good shots.

2.  Make at least 40% of those shots.

3.  Don't turn the ball over.

4.  Crash the boards, especially on the defensive end.

5.  Win the "floor burn" stats:  steals, blocks, drawing charges, etc.

6.  Play solid defense, especially in transition.

6.  Make your free throws.

Of course, a lot of coaches at every level who write that on their Dry-Erase board before the game have to watch in dismay as their team goes out and takes wild shots, throws the ball away, and refuses to get back on defense while never playing to their potential.

I have a feeling ORU will put out a supreme effort on Saturday night.  And, if they can couple that with some smart play, they can win again. 

But, it's just not going to be easy...

Any chance they do a prayer, moment of silence for ORU/TU alum Miles Monroe? 

looking at mabeecenter.com, the lower bowl appears almost full...maybe 500 or so seats left.  they have opened up the lower rows on some sections of the upper bowl, unfortunately not the ones on the TV side.  i'm not sure why you would not sell those seats first.

with a good walk up crowd, they could have a pretty full house.

looking at mabeecenter.com, the lower bowl appears almost full...maybe 500 or so seats left.  they have opened up the lower rows on some sections of the upper bowl, unfortunately not the ones on the TV side.  i'm not sure why you would not sell those seats first.

with a good walk up crowd, they could have a pretty full house.

I guessing the reason for selling AA-thru-DD in the "Blue Section" is immediate access from the North Lobby escalators, as opposed to having to walk all the way around to JJ-thru-MM on the opposite side.

I guessing the reason for selling AA-thru-DD in the "Blue Section" is immediate access from the North Lobby escalators, as opposed to having to walk all the way around to JJ-thru-MM on the opposite side.

that's probably it.  i guess i never thought of walking half way around the mabee center as arduous.  also, won't the south entrance be open with a larger than normal crowd expected and self printed tickets?  trying to force everyone through the north lobby will lead to needless delays. 

it just seems like the ticket office would want to fill JJ-MM before AA-DD for the television internet cameras.

that's probably it.  i guess i never thought of walking half way around the mabee center as arduous.  also, won't the south entrance be open with a larger than normal crowd expected and self printed tickets?  trying to force everyone through the north lobby will lead to needless delays. 

it just seems like the ticket office would want to fill JJ-MM before AA-DD for the television internet cameras.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think since the conversion of the South Lobby to the new Convention and Banquet Facility, there's no longer a ticket office on that side, and access to the arena on the escalators is restricted to Golden Eagle Club members who are there for the pregame reception.  The 'down" escalators are available after the game to anyone parked on the side side of the building.

Here's a link to the new South Lobby digs

looks nice. (thank you Green family)

i assumed they could post a couple people with barcode scanners at the bottom of those south escalators to accommodate those that park in the south lots and have ticket in hand.  did not realize that the mabee center no longer uses the south entrance.  it's obviously been awhile since i've been in the building.  that has to suck when they have big concerts or events.

We enter from the south side for every game. That's how we got in last Saturday evening for the exhibition game. I don't see that it would be any different for this game. Open as usual.

We enter from the south side for every game. That's how we got in last Saturday evening for the exhibition game. I don't see that it would be any different for this game. Open as usual.

So anybody (not that ttowncount is just anybody - he's somebody!) who already has a ticket can enter from the South Lobby.

Sounds like a smart idea to avoid what could be a real logjam in the North Lobby Saturday night.