ORU is KILLING IT in Fall Recruiting

Old Titan

from instagram; looks like Martin got the full court press from the staff.

on a related note, with inroads in New Orleans and the Metroplex, Coach Mason may not be long for ORU.

10693444_699274000152959_826225511_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Today is National Signing Day.  With the recent addition of "Big Chris" Miller from Booker T., this is shaping up to be a November signing period of epic proportions for ORU. 

Curious to see if if ORU takes their traditional approach of sandbagging for a day or two before announcing their signings, or if they opt for making more of a splash than usual on the actual signing day.

After all, this truly is "BIG NEWS!!" :party:

Hope we can get Chris Crawford today. To me he is the upcoming point guard that we really need. Let us know OT if that happens.

3 out of 4 . Pretty good I say. Go Eagles. Great recruiting . Is the CLOSER back in town? :clap: :clap:

DMN on Dallas Kimball's five D1 signings today:

Open gym opens recruiters’ eyes as Kimball signs five boys basketball players to Division I programs

“When you see schools in here – they might be coming to look at somebody else – go as hard as you can in open gym,†Smith told his players.

“And that’s how a lot of these kids got looks.â€

Kimball’s boys basketball team had five players sign Division I National Letters of Intent: Jawun Evans (Oklahoma State), Christian Davis (Arkansas State), Kristopher Martin (Oral Roberts), De’Rias Johnson (Southern) and Xaivon Turnage (Prairie View A&M).

With the exception of Evans – a consensus four-star guard who led Kimball to the 2014 Class 4A title – none of the players had scholarship offers prior to this fall.

Kimball’s reputation as a loaded program brought in 15 to 20 coaches since August, Smith said, allowing schools to get a full grasp of the talent on its roster.

“Oral Roberts came into see two other kids, and another one of our kids [Martin] was going off,†Smith said. “So they said they’d come back in one more time – and they offered him. That happened with Prairie View, too.â€

BTW's Chris Miller and Victory's Chris Crawford sign with Oral Roberts - TW

"We got caught last year with a lack of depth up front," Sutton said. "I think we have great athletes up front, and maybe they weren't as skilled coming into the program as I would have liked. They've worked hard and gotten better, and of course I'm talking about Brandon (Conley), Denell (Henderson) and Drew (Wilson III).

"But with (Albert), Javan and Chris, I think those guys are farther along as far as their skill level. I think they'll all be good low-post scorers for us."

The ORU women's team added five on Wednesday. The class included three international signees, Fejes Fruzsina (from Miskolc, Hungary), Maria Martianez Vendrell (Tarragona, Spain) and Tijana Raca (Thessaloniki, Greece), in addition to two in-state players, Ashley Beatty (Anadarko) and Rylie Torrey (Locust Grove).

Had a bit of a snag with Miller faxing his letter Wednesday - probably was lacking a parent/guardian signature.  But, he sent it in Thursday morning, so all four horses are now in the barn:

MBB: ORU Signs Four During Early Signing Period http://t.co/0OTD1i2mX5 #ORUMBB #SummitMBB

— ORU Athletics (@ORUAthletics)

November 13, 2014
  • Upvote 1

Hope we can get Chris Crawford today. To me he is the upcoming point guard that we really need. Let us know OT if that happens.

Chris Crawford is a good player, but i'm not sure he's the point guard we're looking for either. Every time I've seen him, he plays more like a Markias Barnes (sp?) or Domo type of player. He knows how to create his own shot off the dribble, but not sure about his distribution skills. Then again, it might just be because he is the first scoring option on his team at Victory. 

This is a fantastic bunch of new players for the next few years at ORU.....TheEagleman is pleased but has to agree that Crawford doesn't sound like a true PG...he's sounds like more of a combo or two guard....still a fine get for 7777 South Lewis......Hard to believe that the ORU coaching staff led by a former OSU PG can't find a ball distributor out there somewhere........ :nerd:

Chris Crawford will push the tempo on the fast break like a PG but I don't think he played much of a traditional PG position (making entry passes into the post, etc) because the offense was running through him playing in more of a SG role. That doesn't mean that he doesn't necessarily have those skills.

http://www.arpreps.com/owens-will-sign-in-spring/

Owens averaged a team-high 12.6 points for the state runner-up Bulldogs as a junior last year, including bumping his average to almost 16 points per game over the final 12 games. He gained exposure by playing for the Arkansas Wings Elite in AAU ball over the summer.

ORU is the only school he has visited.

“ORU, I would put them at the top,†Owens said.