Big News?

ORUIllini

The interesting thing with the internet is the availability of statistics. I would hope that the AD will be able to get statistics on how many people watched via ESPN3 and what the viewers' location was. Hopefully, with these statistics, the AD would be able to see if most viewers are from the Tulsa area and that is causing lower tickets sales, then they can address that issue. However, if most viewers are from outside the Tulsa area, then hopefully the financial arrangement with ESPN is beneficial.

As an FYI, OT mentioned the NFL blackout rule and I thought this was an interesting article on the topic.

https://homes.yahoo.com/news/time-to-sack-the-sports-tv-blackout-rule-000812092.html

that pic got me to wondering how an oklahoma st guy knows and all of us don't.  then i clicked on the account and it made perfect sense...."ORU Assistant A.D. for Marketing. OSU Athletics fan."

i really wish ORU would add a school of business.

The criticisms of Richard McCutchen are off base. He was born and raised in Tulsa. He grew up coming to ORU games with his parents. His family donates, buys tickets, supports ORU. And, he has done a fine job working in the ORU athletic department. Just because he went to college and also supports OSU (in his personal time/life), is not a reason to criticize him.

He's a really good dude...

i don't think anyone disparaged this guy.  it's an indictment of ORU that this type stuff is accepted.  would it fly at TU for the assistant AD to be decked out in OSU gear and pronounce his devotion for the cowboys on his twitter?  or at OU for the Assistant AD to be decked in Longhorn gear?

a few weeks ago there is TU fan blasting Dr. Wilson on the their message board in the ORU/TU thread, which made me wonder why this guy knows what Dr Wilson is doing at ORU.  fire up the google machine and the guy is a TU alum and the bleeping Director of Housing at ORU.

this type of stuff has always been accepted at ORU and it's a shame.

I'm very late to the party on this, and it's almost a threadjack at this point, but I've got to comment.  A month or so ago I spent most of one of my days off from work attending a Golden Eagle Club board meeting - a special "strategic planning" meeting intended to review the roles and responsibilities of board members, create a system of accountability (for the board), update a board handbook, increase "awareness of the ORU brand" in both the ORU family as well as the Tulsa community, and in general get a more committed fan base.  The result of the meeting was the formation of more committees, that will take up more of my time off.  

But to me,  for many of the staff members who are leading us, their allegiance and dedication is elsewhere, or at least it seems that way.  McCutchen may be a good dude, and maybe he should be allowed the freedom to express his commitment to his alma mater on Twitter. But it goes back to the general atmosphere of the ORU athletic department, where nearly everyone, from coaches to secretaries, are OSU grads.  There is no question that they're all FINE people, and I love them all, I truly do, but when it comes to their first love, they're "[employees] of ORU, but FANS of OSU Athletics."  I have a major problem with that.

The proud parents of one of our own who now works in the athletic department of Liberty University (wanna guess who it is?) told me some things that that person probably never would say in public, but are so relevant here.  When you go to work in the Liberty athletic department, you're told you're expected, if wearing athletic gear, that it be Liberty gear while on campus.  If you fail in this you're sent home to change, and are told if it happens again you will be fired.  If a student is seen on the Liberty campus in the colors of another school (VERY common at ORU), every effort is made to find out who that student is, they receive a request to come to the athletic office, and they are offered a Liberty shirt to replace the one from the other school, and the importance of loyalty is reinforced. I am sure I was informed of some other such things, but I've forgotten them at this point.  The upshot is to create loyalty to the university, at all levels.  I love Mike Carter - as a person and as an athletic director - he's done SO MUCH for ORU in the time he's been here.  I can't imagine where ORU athletics would be without him.  He is an outstanding person at so many levels.  That said, his choice to use a picture of himself in an ORANGE tie on his bio page on the ORU website, demonstrating to all that visit there his first love is OSU, shows disrespect to the university that he works for and the fan base he's working so hard to build.  Not only that, it represents the mindset that allows for the frustrations I mentioned above, for Richard McCutchen to say he WORKS for ORU but he's a FAN of OSU Athletics.  

I guess the point of all this is that, in my opinion, it's going to be hard to build the kind of commitment in fans we need for the program to grow unless we have that same sort of enthusiasm and commitment shining down on us from the top.  And right now, I don't feel like it is.  

PLEASE tell me where I'm wrong!

• Upvote 2

WOW!  I totally agree about the loyalty thing.  Not sure how it works at the student level, but as for employees that is a horse of a different color.  When dealing with anything ORU or job related, either show loyalty or be gone.

True Blue ORU.

The school and athletic department have never bought into this. The inability/unwillingness to instill brand loyalty with students is unfathonable and has long term, continuing repercussions.

How are we supposed to expect buy in from the fans and alumni when the powers that be exhibit relative indifference?

With the right mentality from leadership, how much time would it take to see changes in brand loyalty among students and staff?  

TheEagleman has been saying for quite some time that we need to have ORU grads running the ORU Athletic Dept....not OSU grads.....come on now....I can understand it back in the first 20 years or so but ORU has been around for almost half a century and we have never had an ORU grad as a mens basketball coach or athletic director....are you kidding me?.....I love the Suttons and Carter seems OK but they are not TRUE BLUE ORU.....it's time for a change!!!.... :clap:...........p.s....TheEagleman works for CSAA insurance and if I wore a Geico or Progressive shirt to work I would be fired...... :nerd:

I don't care where people graduated from, they need to be able to produce quality work for their employer.  Not everyone is going to be an ORU grad, however I agree with all of the comments above on wearing the ORU gear, shouldn't even be a second thought. 

Productive conversation. Very good points. 

TheEagleman isn't saying that everybody on staff has to be an ORU grad...different ideas are a good thing.......but SOMEBODY does have to an ORU grad once in a while, right?....and after 50 yrs of existance we have never had an ORU grad as AD or Head Coach of most of our teams?...how many ORU grads have we had coaching ANY of our sports teams?????.....well, that's down right ridiculous...... :eagles:.....and yes, TheEagleman IS available..... :wasntme:

• Upvote 1

There have been several former ORU players and alums who have returned to ORU in the past 20 years to work as assistant coaches and head coaches, and in support roles, such as academic advisors.

However, in terms of ORU grads as salaried directors or assistant directors within the Athletic Department, I can only think of Rob Marshall, Mike Minyard, and yours truly over the past two decades.

Am I leaving anyone out?

...in terms of ORU grads as salaried directors or assistant directors within the Athletic Department, I can only think of Rob Marshall, Mike Minyard, and yours truly over the past two decades.

Am I leaving anyone out?

Well, I just had to ask, didn't I... :$

It's been pointed out that I missed a few other ORU grads who have held (or hold) assistant-director-or-higher positions for the ORU Athletic Department in the last 20 years:

Two of them are current employees:  Kyle Jones, Asst AD for Academics, and Elizabeth (Middleton) Bacon, Director of Compliance.

Others include former assistant marketing director Chris Welch, and former media relations director Tony Brubaker (though technically I think Tony was at ORU more than 20 years ago; during the Ted Owens days in the mid-'80's).

i don't think most fans care where the coaches come from as long as they win.  as stated previously, i would like to see more navy and gold represented and less orange and black in the athletic offices.  thanks OT for making me curious and wasting 20 minutes while watching GB/Minn.

i counted 14 positions of "Director" and above listed:

By the numbers:

OSU 6 (includes AD and 4 of the 6 Senior Associate ADs and Assistant ADs)

TU 2

ORU 2 (listed above by OT)

OU 1 (Assistant AD/Development)

other 2

no degree listed in bio 1 (Senior Associate AD)

of the rest of the staff only Jaci Bigham (Assistant Dir of Athletic Academics) and Terry Unruh (faculty rep) were ORU grads.

all told -- 23 listed staff not including secretaries in the athletic dept and i counted a total of 4 ORU grads.

i'd be curious to know who Carter is grooming to replace him.  let's just hope he's currently employed at Liberty. (nobody cares more about ORU and ORU athletics than that guy)

• 2 weeks later...

A few comments not arguments about recent and semi-recent posts:

• FCS pre-empted three ORU games last year.  There is no danger of pre-emption with ESPN3.
  • All games will still be tape delayed on GEB and KGEB for those who want to record games for posterity.
  • If ORU had renewed with FCS, the games would not be permitted to air live on KGEB or GEB.
  • ESPN3 is available to more than twice as many national households as FCS.
  • Every ORU grad that has applied for an administrative position in the athletic department has gotten the job in the last decade.  There just haven't been many who have applied. Academics: Kyle Jones and Jaci Bigham. NCAA Faculty Advisor: Terry Unruh.  Compliance: Liz Bacon.  All of these are former ORU athletes. Former employees include Marshall, Welch, Brooks, and Minyard.  As far as current coaches go, Kyan Brown, Kyron Stokes, Janae Voelker, Jaci Bigham, Ryan Neill, Wes Davis, Caleb Bushyhead, Sheera Sirola, Lance Watson, Ryan Bush, and Shawn Venable all attended ORU.
  • Nobody is being "groomed" to replace Mike Carter, who has done more for this program than anyone else could have because nobody else could attract the donations he can - MOST of which are based on his longtime relationships in Tulsa. 

Talk amongst yourselves! :talk:

• Upvote 1

Has any progress been made in re-seating people so that we have fans filling up areas that are in the camera range? For the life of me, I can't understand why this has not been done. A lot of those seats are corporate giveaways that are never used. Go to a voucher system or move the students into those sections - something. And please encourage fans to move from the blue section to the gold after the first 10 minutes or so. Again, this is so basic that I can't believe we don't/won't do it.

And change the seat covers in the lower bowl from gold to blue.

Has any progress been made in re-seating people so that we have fans filling up areas that are in the camera range? For the life of me, I can't understand why this has not been done. A lot of those seats are corporate giveaways that are never used. Go to a voucher system or move the students into those sections - something. And please encourage fans to move from the blue section to the gold after the first 10 minutes or so. Again, this is so basic that I can't believe we don't/won't do it.

And change the seat covers in the lower bowl from gold to blue.

Reseating was considered years ago but there were way too many complaints from longtime fans in Sections B and C, who prefer that side because it's where they enter the arena. And, if everyone moved to the TV side, there would be nobody left on the north side. Finally, many of the empty seats in TV range are sold but they don't show up for the games. As for changing gold seats to blue, no argument here but...$$$$$!