Big News?

ORUIllini

You are right Voice, that is why I edited my last post to reflect that it was his private account. If it was the University's account, that would be a different story.

Think I have figured out the "big" news!!  The RESERVED seating policy for the men's program is going to be extended and used for the ladies' games also.  Long-overdue!!

The criticisms of Richard McCutchen are off base. He was born and raised in Tulsa. He grew up coming to ORU games with his parents. His family donates, buys tickets, supports ORU. And, he has done a fine job working in the ORU athletic department. Just because he went to college and also supports OSU (in his personal time/life), is not a reason to criticize him.

He's a really good dude...

This.

i don't think anyone disparaged this guy.  it's an indictment of ORU that this type stuff is accepted.  would it fly at TU for the assistant AD to be decked out in OSU gear and pronounce his devotion for the cowboys on his twitter?  or at OU for the Assistant AD to be decked in Longhorn gear?

a few weeks ago there is TU fan blasting Dr. Wilson on the their message board in the ORU/TU thread, which made me wonder why this guy knows what Dr Wilson is doing at ORU.  fire up the google machine and the guy is a TU alum and the bleeping Director of Housing at ORU.

this type of stuff has always been accepted at ORU and it's a shame. 

i really wish ORU would add a school of business.

Uh, last time I checked we already had one ... and a really good one, even if I do say so myself!  Except now we call it "College of Business."  Any other questions?

Uh, last time I checked we already had one ... and a really good one, even if I do say so myself!  Except now we call it "College of Business."  Any other questions?

a poor attempt at sarcasm on my part Mr Gregg.  my point was that i know ORU produces highly competent business professionals and i wish that somewhere in the hiring "decision tree" ( ;-) ) of the athletic dept was a nod to ORU grads.

i don't think anyone disparaged this guy.  it's an indictment of ORU that this type stuff is accepted.  would it fly at TU for the assistant AD to be decked out in OSU gear and pronounce his devotion for the cowboys on his twitter?  or at OU for the Assistant AD to be decked in Longhorn gear?

a few weeks ago there is TU fan blasting Dr. Wilson on the their message board in the ORU/TU thread, which made me wonder why this guy knows what Dr Wilson is doing at ORU.  fire up the google machine and the guy is a TU alum and the bleeping Director of Housing at ORU.

this type of stuff has always been accepted at ORU and it's a shame. 

100% 

Ohio University made a similar post on their board that they had a "big" announcement to make. When they did it was to announce a new student athlete academic center costing millions. That is my definition of "big".

I'm kind of losing interest in this big news....it's taken a turn in another direction...

LOL - ya think?

There does seem to be an awful lot of pent up frustration among many of the posts on this topic. I'm guilty of it myself.

Wonder why that is?

Why has this harmless little announcement unleashed so much animosity in so many, who typically are among the sunshine-pumpers?

Has the vox populi reached some sort of critical mass when it comes to ORU Athletics?

Just wondering.

But, suffice it to say, this conversation has definitely struck a nerve - the angst is palpable...

Gotta love the age of social media. Ambiguous tweet referencing big news(!). Followed by no posts for a week. Classic.

I know Richard is a nice guy, hard worker and does a great job for the athletic department - but come on. If I wore a hat or t-shirt for another financial institution on my personal Twitter or Facebook account, my employer would be quick to remind me who I work for. Complete lack of awareness. An ORU fan/alumnus would/should know better. It is symptomatic of how OSU-centric our athletic department is. They bleed orange and not blue. And this whole thing about a "huge" event/news is just silly. Don't promote something unless it is sure to happen. And don't overhype whatever it is. Epic fail.

• Upvote 2

Having any established relationship with ESPN is a good thing and I guess this can be a recruiting tool as another way for family, friends, and fans to follow ORU games. However I would call it "medium" news at best. Thanks to Rich for his efforts.

Never been a big fan of giving folks reasons to stay home on game nights, especially with ORU's attendance being what it is these days.

With regards to prior years' game broadcasts, not every ORU fan had Fox College Sports on their cable system, and the KGEB games were shown on a delayed basis later that night.

But, if these 11 ESPN3 broadcast games are going to be available LIVE on ANY computer, smart phone or tablet?

Can't help but imagine even more empty gold seats in the Mabee Center - and they sure don't look very good on national TV... :doh:

There are eight decades worth of evidence that prove that live television coverage has virtually no negative impact on in-game attendance. If anything, it only increases attendance.

Exposure is exposure and this news is big (but not huge). Should be a great recruiting tool for the coaching staff (which could turn into HUGE news if leveraged). Thanks to the @ORUMBB staff for their hard work. Someone buy Richard a Golden Eagles hat.