ESPN CollegeDay Returning to Fargo, ND 9/13

Old Titan

In a choice perhaps more surprising than last season's first visit, ESPN announced today that College GameDay is returning to Fargo, ND this weekend:

ESPN's College GameDay Returning To Downtown Fargo

The NCAA FCS defending champion Bison of NDSU, fresh off their fifth straight victory over an FBS team (blitzing Iowa State on the road last week), play their home opener this Saturday vs. Incarnate Word of the Southland Conference.

It can't help but raise the profile of the Summit League to have NDSU getting this much publicity from The Worldwide Leader.

Which, in turn, can only help ORU's national profile whenever the Golden Eagles can manage a victory over the Bison in any sports, especially basketball.

P.S.  Don't think NDSU has moved the needle lately when it comes to national respect?  Then get a load of this, the tale end of a blog by Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman in OKC, discussing expansion prospects for none other than THE BIG TWELVE:

But here's something else to consider. What if the next good candidate is not yet a candidate at all? What if the next best option just needs time to grow into something big?

In the spirit of Boise State, which went from Division I-AA to winning Fiesta Bowls in seemingly no time, North Dakota State has risen up to become a football force. The Bison in recent years have beaten Kansas State, Iowa State and Kansas, plus Minnesota and Colorado State. They've won two straight I-AA national championships. That's Boise State boulevard. Except they're not northwest of Salt Lake City, they're straight north of Manhattan, Kan. A good deal north, but still, they're in this part of the country.

North Dakota's economy is booming, Fargo is growing and it's a rabid fan base. It would be easy to see North Dakota State become a state enterprise, much like Nebraska. I'm not saying the Big 12 should add North Dakota State. I'm saying that if the Big 12 gets in the expansion business years from now, North Dakota State is a school to keep an eye on.

Big XII Football:  Lamenting Louisville & Looking Ahead

The current Fargodome only seats like 19000 or so fans. That will limit NDSUs upward mobility quite a bit and for awhile.

TheEagleman watched some of the festivities from Fargo on ESPN including Lee Corson putting on the Bison head.....funny stuff....even funnier was NDSU's 58-0 victory over Incarnate Word.....ouch!...... :|