Three ORU basketball players leaving program -TW

ORUalum

From all indications, the story did in fact slip through the censors, as opposed to being approved by them.

In the aftermath, heads have rolled....

Kaufman lands at YSU

Officially going to Youngstown State University next year!

Good luck to the big man....TheEagleman sure wishes that this kid was staying...he's perfect for the Summit League.... :nerd:

Good for him! I'd heard he was thinking about going the D-II route.  Glad to see he found a D-I program that can use his skills.

Totally unrelated but the mention of YSU brings up the memory - back in the days when YSU was in the Mid-Con, I remember a game at Mabee Center where ORU was whipping up on the hapless Penguins pretty good.  As the end of the game neared, and the score was bordering on embarrassing, their head coach, John Robic,(now an assistant at Kentucky) went down the bench, wagging a finger in the face of each player, and said, "Remember how this feels . . .Remember how this feels!"  I found it rather amusing at the time, and it's stuck in my memory all these years!

One other little fact about YSU that came as a surprise - as I was looking up YSU to make sure I had my facts straight, I found that Jim Tressel, erstwhile head football coach at the Ohio State University, was named President Youngstown State University just yesterday. This, after most recently serving as the ATHLETIC DIRECTOR at Akron.

Tressel is a legend in Youngstown.  The Ohio State fiasco means nothing to their fans.

Bottom line:  they just hired a guy as their president who while a coach at Ohio State basically stole lunch money from 12-year-olds:

"...a story has long circulated among college coaches and has been confirmed to SI by a former colleague of Tressel's from Earle Bruce's staff at Ohio State in the mid-1980s. One of Tressel's duties then was to organize and run the Buckeyes' summer camp. Most of the young players who attended it would never play college football, but a few were top prospects whom Ohio State was recruiting. At the end of camp, attendees bought tickets to a raffle with prizes such as cleats and a jersey. According to his fellow assistant, Tressel rigged the raffle so that the elite prospects won -- a potential violation of NCAA rules. Says the former colleague, who asked not to be identified because he still has ties to the Ohio State community, "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel."