Three ORU basketball players leaving program -TW

ORUalum

TheEagleman just read the article in the Oracle.....I didn't realize that scholarships were now just one year renewable deals....from the player standpoint, I don't blame them for wanting to unionize....I know it's not the case at ORU but so many schools make tons of money on football and basketball and now they can just dump a player who isn't cutting it?....just  doesn't seem right....I was no huge fan of DJ but he seemed like a good representative for ORU....maybe something else is up that we don't know about.....surely ORUBBinsider must know something..... :nerd:

When I first heard that these 3 were not returning I wanted to know why. I asked around and no one was completely sure. As weeks went by the three began to open up more about their decisions. Byford of course announced he would be attending OCU next year two weeks ago. I was told students around a campus have been talking to Kaufman and Jackson about their decisions as they have been both making numerous appearances at the AC playing pick up. Students and other athletes who have talked with them have told me that Jackson hasn't been shy of letting people know what happened. In his words, his talk will Sutton didn't go well as we already know. Apparently, Jackson's attitude (negative) played a major role. Jackson tells people that sutton used the word "cancer." He also informed him that his minuets would decrease. DJ told some students he felt betrayed and didn't really understand it. In their meeting, he was told that they were expecting lee to contribute a lot. One baseball player told me that Jackson said that "they are betting on someone who hasn't played a single game." Now I'm not sure if all of this is true or not. However this is what is circulating on campus right now!

By the way I thought I should inform everyone that I'm not a alumni or work in the athletic office! I'm just a current student, upcoming junior that loves ORU basketball and get all my Info from players, twitter, other athletes around campus and students who are close with the team!

thanks for the additional info orumbb_insider.  perhaps Jackson did not take getting benched to Singleton late in the season very well and the coaches sensed future problems.  i wish DJ the best, he'll always be a favorite after his comments following the Tulsa win.

Don't know what to make of the situation with Jackson. His departure is interesting given the amount of playng time he had this year and how much he was (apparently) a part of the ORU community. Jackson never displayed a bad attitude on the court from what I could see. Sutton has certainly indicated that he thinks Lee is very capable.

Sutton said Jackson was a cancer?....ouch..... :|

That's what confused me! I loves his comments and loved his love for the school! While I was highly optomistic for this year, I don't have the same optimism for the upcoming year. Dosent look good.

That's what confused me! I loves his comments and loved his love for the school! While I was highly optomistic for this year, I don't have the same optimism for the upcoming year. Dosent look good.

"The Oracle" broke that information? That's the real story.

I agree with the statements about DJ. Never once did I see him having a bad attitude about anything. At times he could have seemed to be too nice. Could DJ's forced departure have something to do with Coach Conley's resignation? Maybe he disagreed and wanted no part in how the program was being run. This is all conjecture, but sadly it makes sense.

"The Oracle" broke that information? That's the real story.

This.

Due to a tradition of Draconian control by the university administration, the poor Oracle has never been much of a source for in-depth breaking news (despite the efforts of a few well-meaning advisors and enterprising young journalists).

Though I'm disappointed with how bad this revelation makes the basketball program look, I'm impressed that the Oracle dug up that depth of detail and somehow managed to get it past the censors.

did the Oracle scoop the TulsaWorld or is there a wink and nod agreement with beat writers that this stuff goes on at all schools and not to report it?

i'd guess it got past the censors because it involved the athletic dept,  although i bet Sutton and Carter were not happy with it.  i doubt an article that made the president (no matter who it was) or administration look bad would ever see the light of day.

in essence all three players were cut....two just agreed they were not going to get the opportunity to play so they agreed to transfer.

i still don't understand how during March Madness the announcers kept saying that Wilbikin refused to transfer when Donovan told him to and remained on the Florida team. does a player have any type of appeal process?

somewhat related (college journalism): saw this on NBC's college basketball blog yesterday.  imagine what Rick Barnes thought of this....

University of Texas student columnist gives unsigned five-star senior Myles Turner reasons to avoid Longhorns

I would guess that they would take Kaufman back if he still wanted to be at ORU.

I applaud the journalism at the Oracle....TheEagleman can vouch for the University censorship of the school paper...40 years ago as a student reporter I was called into Dean Hamiltons' office twice within one season....once for writing a story about the failure of TU to allot ORU students a reasonable number of tickets to the first ORU-TU game and then a second time for wondering in my weekly column how Anthony Roberts could afford to be driving a brand new car.....both stories were pulled and never published......I was so disillusioned at the time that I resigned and didn't come back until my senior year on a part time basis...... :nerd: