Three ORU basketball players leaving program -TW

ORUalum

Sounds like ORU has the perfect team to compete in the Southland...oops!.....we will be in the Summit next season......well, maybe we can just run those northern schools ragged.... :nerd:

I don't think there is really a huge difference in quality or style, from the Southland to the Summit. At least, not as much difference as some seem to think.

If we can put a solid point guard on the floor and Owens is as good as I think he will be, I think we can be pretty good next year.

go find a guy like TAMCC's John Jordan.  he single handedly beat ORU in the game at CC.....great passer, could get in the lane anytime he wanted and lived at the FT line. 

the problem is finding that guy....and signing him.

TheEagleman thinks we will be in the Summit for a while.....I find it hard to believe that ORU will ever be invited to the MVC......just can't see it....plus the University would have to make a much bigger financial committment to sports, wouldn't they?.... :nerd:

Singleton is a nice player, but he does not think like a point guard. We need a point guard who looks to pass first - and second. Not someone who is interested in scoring. Several times last year he (and other point guards) would dribble the ball down the court, dribble around the perimater - and then shoot the ball. They ignored our post players setting up under the basket and many times never even passed the ball - to anyone. It was like they were afraid to pass the ball because they would not get it back. A good point guard sets his teammates up for easier scores; either through passing the ball down low or getting the ball to perimeter players in a shooting motion. We need a high basketball IQ point guard. Frankly it would be nice for all of our players to have high(er) basketball IQ's.

This is the latest recruit:

TULSA, Okla. – Aaron Young has signed to play basketball at Oral Roberts University, it was announced by the ORU men’s basketball program on Thursday.

Young joins the Golden Eagles after averaging 12 points and four assists per game last year in his one year at Eastern Oklahoma State College. Young, who will have three years of eligibility left at ORU, had a breakout game against Western Oklahoma State, scoring 29 points while grabbing four rebounds and dishing three assists.

“We are excited about Aaron joining our program,†said Coach Scott Sutton. “He’s a great young man who is a tremendous leader and has a very high basketball IQ. He has played for great programs and coaches at both the high school and junior college level. He’ll come in right away and compete for playing time at the point guard position.â€

Young is a 2013 graduate of Edmond Memorial, where he helped his team to a pair of state championships and a state runner-up finish in his three years under Coach Shane Cowherd.  Young was also a state runner-up in the 4x100m relay as a member of the track program. While in high school, Young earned OBCA all-star honors and was the 2013 Bruce Gray Invitational MVP.

Also recruited by Texas State, UW-Milwaukee and North Texas, Young said he chose ORU because “I feel like ORU is a place where I can grow as a player, a man, and a man of God.â€

• Upvote 1

Nice...Aaron sounds like an ORU kind of guy.....and has a good Bible name....and just as Terry mentioned above, ORU needs more players with a "high basketball IQ".....this could be our starting PG in 2014-15 and beyond.... :nerd:

As far as our budget compared to the rest of the MVC schools, we are actually ahead of some of those schools. It has been a while since I looked at the numbers, but they were better than what you may think.

near miss on a 7 footer...it sounds like ORU found him a bit late...LINK

"The hard thing was just getting him (academically) cleared," said Pamela Nailing, Jeremiah's mother. "It was definitely a journey. Indiana came out of nowhere. We don't know how they got his name. God did it."

Nailing said that Washington State was ready to offer and Marquette and Arizona State came it. But it was too late. He also began to get strong interest from Oral Roberts.

"We were not hearing from anyone," Nailing said.

April didn't want to go the junior college route, and was ecstatic to get the Indiana offer.

Nailing, a devout Christian, said she went on a 40-day fast, searching for answers on her son's basketball recruiting.

Funny how recruting works! Once a couple of big names come into the picture, everyone wants a share.

Unfortunately, kids want the brand. I had heard rumors about this kid, only mid majors were going after him and Arizona state. Then came in Oregon state. After that "everyone" came knocking. Like his mom said, "they don't know how they got his name." Doesn't matter if a mod major like ORU may be good for a kid like him or others, when a "brand name" comes into play, kids eyes gets big and well you know the rest...

What's not so funny is that he will probably get very few minutes at a big time school like Indiana playing in a big time conference like the Big Ten....he probably would be better off at a small school like ORU where he would be much more likely to get some playing time and develop his game....heck, he could be a star in the Summit..... :nerd:

yep, too bad they could not get him and moms on campus before the blue bloods came calling. 

found this Oracle write-up this morning...Jackson cut, Byford and Kaufman transfer

still scratching my head on this decision.  if nothing else he could of helped in limited minutes off the bench and in practice.  they must be real sure about the players they are bringing in to cut loose a guy with so many starts under his belt.  it's a shame that a guy that represented the university so well and liked being there was not allowed to finish career and get his degree from ORU.  what a wild ride from his Tulsa press conference to being cut from the team in a few months.

DJ Jackson was cut from the ORU men’s basketball team on March 25 after playing two seasons as the starting point guard.

ORU Athletics announced that Jackson would not be returning on April 15.

Jackson said he didn’t want to leave ORU, but the choice wasn’t up to him.

“I love Oral Roberts [university]. If it was my choice I would stay [at ORU],†Jackson said. “However, I met with Coach Sutton after the season and he informed me that he didn’t think I was a good fit for the upcoming season and he wanted to go in a different direction. I loved my stay at ORU, my teammates, faculty and fans. They will all be missed.â€

I don't get it.....how can they "cut" a scholarship player?....i know he doesn't have to be on the team but they can't revoke his scholarship......can they????......it's not right just because they don't like his play...as long as DJ hasn't done anything detrimental to the team or against school rules how can he lose his scholarship???...... :nerd:

The scholarships are renewed on a yearly basis.  IMHO, the coaches need to have the power to not renew a player's scholarship in order to maintain order in a program and not give the student athletes the upper hand.  As a coaching staff, you don't want to cut loose a player without a good reason because it can affect your recruiting down the road.

I have no idea about what happened with DJ behind the scenes, but it would be surprising if they cut him loose without there being other issues.  I know that all the point guards seemed to struggle all year getting the ball into the forwards, but I don't recall DJ being any worse than Singleton.  There is normally more to a story like this than we will ever know and you have to assume that the coaches wouldn't "cut" a decent contributor without a good reason.

As Jason says, all NCAA scholarships are on an annual basis, and it's not uncommon for a player to be "cut".  This is the time of year when these decisions are generally made.  Got to believe there's something better down the road for ORU, and ultimately, this decision will also create the best situation for DJ as well.

You really don't like to see the word " cut" out there when it involves the players but every school will generally suggest a player finds a better fit for them if the player is not going to be in their plans going forward.