Three ORU basketball players leaving program -TW

ORUalum

it's official...LINK

Corbin Byford, D.J. Jackson and Jorden Kaufman recently completed their sophomore seasons and will attempt to play elsewhere.

“I appreciate all they have done for the program and I wish them the best of luck,†ORU coach Scott Sutton said.

Sad to see them go, but I am not too surprised. Best of luck to them in finishing out their basketball careers elsewhere.

That's tough....all 3 seemed to have so much potential when they came to ORU and for reasons not known to TheEagleman we never got to see much of Byford and Kaufman on the court....we wish them well.... :|

Kaufman could have made some significant contributions this year in the Summit.  I am really disappointed that he is actually leaving.

I'm sad to see these guys go, too. Especially DJ. I was always a big DJ fan.

That said, if they are going, it is "likely" because the weren't going to see much playing time over the next two years. So, in that regard, it's a win-win for all parties. And, it also tells me that we are expecting Albert Owens to be a big-time contributor, right off the bat...

I assume that we will see at least one signing in the next few days given this announcement about three players leaving.

Sorry to see these guys leave ORU. I like Byford's energy and thought he might be able to contribute - especially in the Summit League. Jackson seemed like a nice young man and I thought was a decent player. His stat line is not that bad. Kaufman has lots of potential and we did not utlilize him as much as we could have. He seemed to lose interest /focus as the year wore on.

I'm sad to see these guys go, too. Especially DJ. I was always a big DJ fan.

That said, if they are going, it is "likely" because the weren't going to see much playing time over the next two years. So, in that regard, it's a win-win for all parties. And, it also tells me that we are expecting Albert Owens to be a big-time contributor, right off the bat...

Only safe to assume that if they were ALL asked to leave. Wouldn't be surprised if Kaufman decided that on his own. It's senseless to lose size.

Yeah, TheEagleman sad to lose all 3 but especially Jorden Kaufman.....at 7 foot tall I was thinking he might be much better suited to the big white boy half court game in the Summit League....and who knows....Byford might have been another Taylor Braun..... :nerd:

Only safe to assume that if they were ALL asked to leave. Wouldn't be surprised if Kaufman decided that on his own. It's senseless to lose size.

Not sure they were "asked to leave".

Likely more of them knowing 'implicity and/or explicity' that they would be likely not seeing much playing time and then being told that if they wanted to explore other options, we'd be glad to assist.

TheEagleman spent four years at ORU and several times the administration encouraged me to "explore other educational options" and said they would "be glad to assist"....but i was able to complete four years and graduate probably much to  Dean of Men Jack Wallaces'  and Dean Hamiltons' chagrin..... :razz::*  :devil:  :-D

Barring a sudden influx of aircraft carriers, ORU is about two sprained ankles away from qualifying for an Under-Six-Feet-Tall league.

Unfortunately, next year they are instead relegated to playing in a pretty salty D-1 conference, and vs. non-conference teams that will out-flank them at every position.

Good luck with the 3-or-4-or-5-guard line-up... :worried:

That is one of the main reasons why I don't understand Kaufman leaving. He would have had a very good opportunity for playing time next year.

have to think at least 1 of the 2 remaining scholarships will be a big man.

Agreed. I assume we are looking at juco post players - and maybe another point guard. Of course every other school is looking for those too.

While another big man would seem to be a priority, we still have Conley, (6-6), Wilson (6-7), Henderson (6-7), and the new guy Owens (6-9), presumably. So, let's not get too carried away with thinking we have no size...

And in all honesty, while Kaufman was tall, he really didn't fit what we were doing. Even when we signed him, I had my doubts about how he'd "fit". We have a bunch of athletes that want to play quick and a big/slow lumbering guy.

Please don't take that wrong. I liked Kaufman and he's a fine young man, by all indications, just think he'd be better off on a team that walked it up the floor and played a different style of defense. Man-to-man isn't for a guy with slow feet. Trust me, I know!

I hate to see DJ leave. But, he isn't a 'difference maker'. I like Jabbar, too. But, also fear he is not a difference maker. I hope I am wrong.

Other than that if Obi is healthy, Korey and Bobby continue to improve, and Lee can make a splash after sitting out a year, I think we are in decent shape at the 2 off guard positions. My only concern would be a true point guard. Fingers crossed that Jabbar or a new (unknown) recruit can be that guy. Right now...I have some doubts. That said, I'd love to be wrong.

If we can put a solid point guard on the floor and Owens is as good as I think he will be, I think we can be pretty good next year. The 2-5 positions (assuming a healthy Obi) look VERY solid and deep. It's the 1 & 5 positions that are a little shaky, at this point.

It appears to me, that we will be deep and athletic. In my mind, it would seem to be a recipe for playing up-tempo and pressing a lot...