Coaching Carousel 2014

ORUalum

Martin goes from Tennessee to Cal.

TU search continues to baffle as Bryce Drew says he's staying at Valpo.

Some are saying Quinn Snyder (formerly with Missouri) is a candidate at TU. When candidates start taking themselves out of contention, it usually means the school has chosen someone.

Some are saying Quinn Snyder (formerly with Missouri) is a candidate at TU. When candidates start taking themselves out of contention, it usually means the school has chosen someone.

that's a name out of left field.  i guess he would be a "win the press conference" type guy....more so than Bob Hoffman.

another day, another name for TU...from the TU message board...

Source says New Mexico State coach Marvin Menzies has been offered TU job. #TUmbb

— Lynn Jacobsen (@LynnJacobsen)

April 16, 2014

#TulsaMBB Mercer's Bob Hoffman no longer involved in TU coaching search. http://t.co/huc5b2bHcF

— Bill Haisten (@billhaisten)

April 16, 2014

Their board is downright comical/delusional. Even more than usual.

I mean, some REALLY funny stuff!

They can't get the La Tech, So. Miss, or Valpo coach, yet many think they can get Tubby from Texas Tech, because he LOVES Tulsa so much. LMAO!!! You just can't make this stuff up...

Based on his record at NM State, Menzies seems like a really good hire for TU. They've been WAC Champions and made it to the tournament 4 of the past 5 years. The last 3 years they've gone to the 2nd round. And he's only making $391,474 according to Wikipedia!  Talk about doing more with less. TU could easily double his salary without breaking the bank. 

Bryce Drew is pedestrian at X's and O's and is a suspect recruiter, relying heavily on previously established player pipelines at Valpo.  The slide has already become apparant in his third year, which may explain why he's looking to jump.

I frankly think he would be overwhelmed by the AAC competition on the court and the heartless TU fans off of it.

Bryce started 3 freshman this year and had 4-5 in rotation.  He collected a 4 seed in the 12th league in the nation after the following two years earning the 1 seed.  He is 2 for 3 on winning the conference title.  Can't win it every year......  Of course, after graduating his starting 5 he was going to have lower expectations in his 3rd year. 

Bryce started 3 freshman this year and had 4-5 in rotation.  He collected a 4 seed in the 12th league in the nation after the following two years earning the 1 seed.  He is 2 for 3 on winning the conference title.  Can't win it every year......  Of course, after graduating his starting 5 he was going to have lower expectations in his 3rd year. 

Thank you, Mrs. Drew - I'm sure you and Homer are very proud of your boy... :inlove:

haha, I admit that was a good one. 

Bryce wouldn't have worked out in Tulsa anyways.  I think he had a losing record in Tulsa.  Even the year they were nationally ranked, they lost at the Maybee Center (1998?).  On the other side of the coin, he was 2-0 in Oklahoma City during the NCAA tournament.  

Via Twitter, ESPN College Basketball

@ESPNCBB: @GoodmanESPN: Tulsa is in final negotiations to hire Missouri's Frank Haith, barring a last-minute collapse in talks, a source told ESPN.

Wow! If this is true that's pretty big news. Missouri was looking into raising the money to pay for Haith's buyout.

What did P.T. Barnum say again?

Frank Haith is headed to Tulsa.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=10797288&src=desktop

Dak Dillon/USA TODAY Sports

Frank Haith is 76-28 in three seasons at Missouri.

Missouri coach Frank Haith has verbally agreed to become the next coach at Tulsa, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com on Thursday.

Haith, who was traveling to Tulsa on Thursday afternoon to finalize the deal, will replace Danny Manning, who left for Wake Forest earlier this month.

A surprise hire by Missouri out of Miami three years ago, Haith has led the Tigers to the NCAA tournament in two of his three seasons and has a 76-28 record at Missouri.

The Tigers went to the NIT this past season and will lose Jordan Clarkson, Jabari Brown and Earnest Ross.

Curious choice. Haith had some interesting dealings while he was a coach at Miami. I guess those things got 'settled' with the NCAA.

crazy hire....

i say ORU welcomes Frank Haith to Tulsa with an ORU win in the Mayor's Cup

Tulsa World poll skewing 2-1 against the hire of Haith...could be bad news for the AD if Haith does not have success.

LINK

Given the time that Tulsa took, the money they were/are apparently willing to pay a head coach, the involvement of a national search firm, the momentum from so many players returning from an NCAA team, and the glamour of joining a new conference that includes the national champion, it is hard for me to fathom a worse hire for TU than Frank Haith.

My daughter's a sophomore at Mizzou; her boyfriend works the sports desk for the Tiger student radio station.  I've followed Missouri basketball a little more closely these past two years because of that.  I can honestly say that practically EVERYONE affiliated with Mizzou basketball is ELATED to see Haith leave.  General consensus is that Tulsa just saved Tiger Athletics hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy out the remaining three years of Haith's contract.  He had four players run afoul of the law this season alone (and even in the last couple of weeks), and basketball attendance had plummeted this year.  His teams were undisciplined, uninspired, and underachievers.  He was literally a dead man walking in Columbia, just as he was in Miami three years ago when he fled NCAA sanctions to take the Mozzou job.

And now he's getting a clean slate, with a multi-year deal for more money!

"WELL PLAYED, TULSA - WELL PLAYED!" :rofl::clap::rofl::clap:  :rofl:

• Upvote 1