Coaching Carousel 2014

ORUalum

We have a head coach at NDSU again, long-time assistant Dave Richman gets the job. He was the associate head coach for the past seven seasons. He has worked under four different head coaches while at NDSU(Saul Phillips, Tim Miles, Greg McDermott and Ray Giacoletti). 

that's the Mike Carter approach as well.  if the program is successful, hire from the current coaching staff....Hinson, Sutton, Walton, Folmar, Cussen

they already know the institution and how to win there.

that's the Mike Carter approach as well.  if the program is successful, hire from the current coaching staff....Hinson, Sutton, Walton, Folmar, Cussen

they already know the institution and how to win there.

Yeah I think it is a great strategy, if it isn't broke no point in trying to fix it. Dave has certainly paid his dues, he has turned down multiple opportunities to leave for assistant jobs at other schools. 

The Summit has lost some good coaches but I think a number of schools have made some solid hires. Should be interesting to see what happens at WIU and IPFW. 

For a head D1 basketball coaching position and all the pressure, scrutiny, and challenges that job presents, $93K is definitely low-balling. That demonstrates a lack of commitment to basketball and a lack of desire to hold on to your coaching staff. So it comes as no surprise to hear that "He gone."

Thanks for this information. As someone mentioned, Molinari is out at WIU. He took an assistant job at Nebraska.

i don't think it's official yet...from a few days ago...negotiating a buyout or extension??

Molinari has been at Western 2008-2009 season, when he signed an eight year, 1.1 million dollar contract.

"The athletics department and university administration are aware of multiple speculative reports and rumors the last 36 hours regarding the potential departure of head men's basketball coach Jim Molinari. The university will comment on such reports, if merited. Coach Molinari remains the head coach of the Fighting Leatherneck men's basketball program."

the ORU / TU game could get even more interesting.

Valparaiso's Bryce Drew emerges as TU coach candidate

While it has been speculated that Eastern Michigan coach Rob Murphy, Kansas assistant Norm Roberts and Florida Gulf Coast coach Joe Dooley are on TU's radar, sources with knowledge of the process report there is a consistent list that includes Mercer head coach Bob Hoffman (age 56), Southern Miss head coach Donnie Tyndall (43) and Stephen F. Austin head coach Brad Underwood (49).

It is not yet known whether the Drew candidacy is at that level.

Bryce Drew seems like a good coach and a good guy....plus he has the "coaching genes" in the family.....he would be a really nice choice for TU.....heck, he would be a nice choice for ORU..... :wasntme:

Bryce Drew is pedestrian at X's and O's and is a suspect recruiter, relying heavily on previously established player pipelines at Valpo.  The slide has already become apparant in his third year, which may explain why he's looking to jump.

I frankly think he would be overwhelmed by the AAC competition on the court and the heartless TU fans off of it.

Good point, OT....any coach who comes in to TU next season is going to have to deal with the much tougher conference schedule.....Maybe Bryce should stay at Valpo where he can still ride his fathers' coattails for a few more years...I guess his older brother at Baylor is the much better coach..... :nerd:

According to reports out of Ohio, Tulsa had shown interest in Phillips, as well as Marshall who he interviewed with as well.

SIU's Hinson linked to Tulsa position

This is from a few days ago, which is DECADES on the coaching Carousel.

That article is terribly written, and virtually unsubstantiated. 

The sole outside "source" for the story is a Tulsa World article containing a fantasy list of 11 "candidates who could show up on Tulsa's radar", which is total conjecture.

Says "Oklahoma State spoke with Hinson last year before hiring Tubby Smith."  That would be Texas Tech, not OSU.

That article is terribly written, and virtually unsubstantiated. 

The sole outside "source" for the story is a Tulsa World article containing a fantasy list of 11 "candidates who could show up on Tulsa's radar", which is total conjecture.

Says "Oklahoma State spoke with Hinson last year before hiring Tubby Smith."  That would be Texas Tech, not OSU.

I have to admit I added that link more as a bit of humor than a serious contribution to the thread. I have a relative that lives near Carbondale and follows the Salukis and she told me about it.

Media is reporting tonight that Molinari has officially resigned from WIU for a position at Nebraska.

I have to admit I added that link more as a bit of humor than a serious contribution to the thread. I have a relative that lives near Carbondale and follows the Salukis and she told me about it.

And I am not flaming you for posting it, for whatever reasons.  I'm glad you did, just so I could poke holes in it.

The funny thing is, the article is more newsworthy for its base amateurism than for what it purports to reveal.

Bob Hoffman has proven to be a good coach, but i think TU fan's head would explode if he is their next coach.  get ya' popcorn ready...

A source tells @FOX23 Bob Hoffman is in driver's seat to get the TU head coach job, but, to his knowledge, has not been offered the job yet.

— Nathan Thompson (@NathanDThompson)

April 14, 2014

That would be an interesting pick, I think. I agree, though, alum, I don't think he'd be a popular pick with TU fans - unless he wins!