Coaching Carousel 2014

ORUalum

Fargo paper already mentioning Phillips and the Marquette opening...Full Article

There was a pause before Phillips said within earshot of Taylor: “Can I get a raise now?â€

“We are working on it,†Taylor answered.

With NDSU somewhat placed on the college basketball map now, the time has come where Taylor and his band of fundraisers seriously need to consider upping the ante for their basketball coach’s salary. Right now, Phillips is earning $175,000 a year. That needs to go beyond $200,000 if NDSU has any hopes of keeping Phillips.

But there is only so much a mid-major program like NDSU can afford without breaking the bank. It can’t spend $412,000 like Denver is doing for head coach Joe Scott – even though the Denver athletic department budget is reportedly in the red. And it can’t match the $483,000 that Scott Sutton gets at Oral Roberts – a program that will be returning to the Summit League next year.

But there was an opening that popped up Friday that perked up a few ears when Buzz Williams left Marquette for Virginia Tech. Marquette is another $1 million coaching-type school that is located in Milwaukee. Milwaukee is located in Wisconsin.

Phillips was born and raised in Wisconsin, played college basketball in that state and coached for two college teams in Wisconsin.

Such a job would be one in which Taylor would tell Phillips he would be a fool not to take. But there have been jobs out there in which Taylor strongly recommended against – like the UNC-Wilmington job Miles turned down or the Ball State job Phillips was considering last year.

There will probably be more competition for the Marquette job than the WSU job. I'm not sure Phillips will be the front runner for Marquette. If he makes the sweet 16 however, he may move up that list.

Fargo paper already mentioning Phillips and the Marquette opening...Full Article

"Right now, Phillips is earning $175,000 a year. That needs to go beyond $200,000 if NDSU has any hopes of keeping Phillips."

"But there is only so much a mid-major program like NDSU can afford without breaking the bank. It can’t spend $412,000 like Denver is doing for head coach Joe Scott – even though the Denver athletic department budget is reportedly in the red. And it can’t match the $483,000 that Scott Sutton gets at Oral Roberts – a program that will be returning to the Summit League next year."

Wow.

Time to acknowledge the 400-pound gorilla in the room:  once you figure in Sean Sutton, Conley Phipps, Kyan Brown, Wade Mason and Steve Upshaw, is it possible ORU's outlay for coaching staff salaries may be in the neighborhood of $1 million a year? :-o

• Upvote 1

I think that becomes a greater issue for our program all the time. It IS the 400-pound gorilla in the room.

Along those lines, OT, have you visited the Eagle's Nest lately?

Sutton family friend, James Dickey, steps down at Houston.  they should take a long look at Underwood from SFA.

There will probably be more competition for the Marquette job than the WSU job. I'm not sure Phillips will be the front runner for Marquette. If he makes the sweet 16 however, he may move up that list.

Hearing from multiple sources that Shaka Smart to Marquette is after all very likely to happen and happen soon.

http://fansided.com/2014/03/24/ncaa-basketball-rumors-shaka-smart-likely-take-marquette/#!BfxtU

Hearing from multiple sources that Shaka Smart to Marquette is after all very likely to happen and happen soon.

http://fansided.com/2014/03/24/ncaa-basketball-rumors-shaka-smart-likely-take-marquette/#!BfxtU

The media missed on Smart to Marquette,maybe they will get this one right.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20140401/marquette-hires-steve-wojciechowski-as-head-coach/

Yep if Manning leaves the TU meltdown will be epic.

Of course a couple of their fans are asking why he would take the Wake Forest job over Tulsa.:)

Yep if Manning leaves the TU meltdown will be epic.

Of course a couple of their fans are asking why he would take the Wake Forest job over Tulsa. :)

Yeah, I saw that on the TU board. Some of their fans were saying Wake Forest would be a lateral move, etc.

Mind-numbing...

i gotta admit, i was wrong about TU hiring Danny Manning.  i thought he was just a KU legacy at the end of Self's coaching bench.  he has done a fine job at TU in two years.  to call Wake a lateral move is delusional on TU fan's part.

LINK

Danny Manning is visiting the Wake Forest campus on Wednesday, and sources told ESPN.com that he intends to make a decision in the next 24 hours whether to remain at Tulsa or take over the Demon Deacons program.

I did not know what to think when TU hired Manning. He seems to be a fine gentleman and handles himself with class. His calm, measured demeanor is quite a contrast to the former coach. Danny has done a fine job at TU and they will miss him if he goes. Could be an interesting 24 hours for Tulsa.

Manning is sure not trying to keep it a secret at all. This is the best time if he is going to leave. They aren't making the tourney for a couple of yrs in the new conference and he knows it. If they play 500 ball the next couple of yrs he isn't getting that type of job offer again. It will be interesting as he doesn't need the $$ but his agent was out looking as soon as they made the tourney. Should know within 24 hrs

That rule (limiting texts) was eliminated by the NCAA. It's all good now.

That rule (limiting texts) was eliminated by the NCAA. It's all good now.

Can't help but recognize the irony in that.