2014 NCAA Tournament

ORUTerry

Ask Saint Louis if it is a flawed concept.... they won last night fouling North Carolina State and having them miss their free throws.

I grant that most of the time it doesn't work, but I think coaches (and fans) want to appear that they are 'doing something' and not just giving up.

I agree with our conclusion, Terry. It's standard operating procedure, it's expected, and fans, including myself, go nuts when a team doesn't do it - "Are you kidding me? Why aren't they fouling???".

ORU Coaching Candidates Take Questions

Oklahoman Published: April 29, 1999
;

TULSA (AP) - Candidates for head basketball coach at Oral Roberts University must field questions from reporters as well as the selection committee.

Athletic director Mike Carter is requiring candidates to appear at news conferences following their campus interviews.

Carter said he saw no reason for the media to "run all around town" trying to figure out whom the school was interviewing.

"If we were interviewing a series of head coaches whose programs were going to be negatively impacted by them coming public and pursuing this job, I didn't want to do that (news conferences)," he said. "But because we're dealing primarily with assistant coaches, I didn't see any major risks."

Former Murray State and Duquesne coach Scott Edgar and Oklahoma Baptist coach Bob Hoffman, were the first to appear before reporters Tuesday. Both said they were comfortable with the idea.

"It's only the second time that I've had contact with this type of process, and the other time was at Murray State, and I eventually became the head coach at that school," Edgar said.

ORU assistant Scott Sutton and Oklahoma assistant Ray Lopes were scheduled to appear at Wednesday's news conferences. Interviews also are scheduled with former Missouri assistant Kim Anderson, former Notre Dame assistant Parker Laketa and Arizona State assistant Russ Pennell.

Both Edgar and Hoffman professed their Christian faiths during Tuesday's news conference. ORU, a private Christian school, requires a "commitment to Christ" in its new coach.

Great find, Alum!!

Wow, what a star-crossed list.  Where are they now, you ask?

BOB HOFFMAN - head coach, Mercer.  He's been a lot of places, most significantly he spanked ORU a couple of times while at Texas-Pan American. Bob Hoffman (Wikipedia)

SCOTT EDGAR - head coach, Eastern Oklahoma State. Fired at Southeast Missouri State after receiving serious NCAA probation.  Without that, we wouldn't have landed Rod Pierson! Scott Edgar (Wikipedia)

RUSS PENNELL - as of March 5, new head coach at Central Arkansas Russ Pennell (Wikipedia)

RAY LOPES - just got fired as an assistant (along with head coach Ken Bone) at Washington State.  Lopes was a protege of Kelvin Sampson at OU, went to Fresno State as a head coach where (like Sampson) he was fired after running afoul of the NCAA for impermissible cell phone calls to recruits.  (no Wikipedia listing)

KIM ANDERSON - Successful head coach since 2002 at Division II Central Missouri Kim Anderson (Wikipedia)

PARKER LAKETA - No longer in coaching.  Google search says he's founder and President of Snapshot Culture in North Carolina.

Not exactly a "Who's Who" of basketball success!  A couple of those guys would have likely gotten ORU on probation within five years.

Would have to think that the list of candidates for the ORU job would look a lot different now if the job were to open up tomorrow.  Credit Scott Sutton for raising the bar on how the job is perceived among the coaching ranks.

That was REALLY interesting, OT. When you look at the last fifteen years of coaching you have to think, in addition to all of the qualities that we've appreciated about Scott Sutton, he was probably the best pick in terms of coaching ability, or maybe a tossup with Bob Hoffman.

Great list.

The CBS announcer breaking out the Polish slurs TWICE against Gonzaga on a national broadcast was pretty proffesional.

He also apologized twice as well.  Apparently he received some immediate feedback.  

SFA wins an improbable game where they get a last second 4 point play at the end of regulation. What was that VCU player thinking?

Very nice win for SFA and the Southland. Do you think they will let us keep our share of the tournament money?

Winner's know how to win.

I would think we would definitely get our share of the money, but you never know how the contracts are written.

TU loses by 17.  I picked 27 of 32 through day 2, but had Duke going to the Final Four, so my bracket took a hit.

CBS's promo package before the start of programming today showed Hoffman after the game throw in a "Praise the Lord!".

When you look at the last fifteen years of coaching you have to think, in addition to all of the qualities that we've appreciated about Scott Sutton, he was probably the best pick in terms of coaching ability, or maybe a tossup with Bob Hoffman.

This!  :clap:

• Upvote 1

Ummm...are my eyes failing me?  'Cause that sure doesn't look like Scott Sutton on the left in that picture. :nerd:

What is that white logo on his Under Armor sweatshirt and pants?  Doesn't look like ORU...

Very nice win for SFA and the Southland. Do you think they will let us keep our share of the tournament money?

nope....worh reading the full article on how much money the win means to the league and how the NCAA allots the dollars....LINK

"One Southland school that will not be part of the distribution is outgoing member Oral Roberts. "Its right to sharing was forfeited once the announcement to leave the conference was made," Burnett confirmed."

That's unfortunate for us. The Southland teams are smiling today because their share is a bit higher.

CBS's promo package before the start of programming today showed Hoffman after the game throw in a "Praise the Lord!".

That was part of the post-game I mentioned before. Pretty cool.