Next Years Schedule

orumbb_insider

I can't remember if they changed the rules, but they must have - because it appears that we have four non-D1 schools on our schedule. Just like last year.

This is a very challenging non conference schedule.

So, we play one team from the Big Sky (Weber State), Sun Belt (Louisiana Lafayette), WAC (New Mexico State), PAC XII (Oregon State), Big XII (Oklahoma) and SEC (Missouri). We also play two Mo Valley (Missouri State X2), AAC (Tulsa and Memphis) along with Horizon (Detroit and maybe Milwaukee). Not a bad schedule at all! We are doing our part to help the Summit's overall RPI. GO GOLDEN EAGLES!

not sure if it's a glitch with the website or a change has been made, but the schedule has been taken down from ORUathletics.com....now just showing conference games.

I'm kinda intrigued by the two NAIA schools ORU will be facing in the middle of the schedule.

The Tabor College game makes some sense:  the Blue Jays head coach is Micah Ratzlaff, who played two seasons at ORU befire finishing his career at Tabor.  His nephew, Christian, was supposed to be a preferred walk-on on this year's Golden Eagle squad, but reportedly has left the team.  Tabor won over 20 games last year and is a perennial NAIA playoff team.

The game with Haskell Indian Nations University is a bit more of a head-scratcher:  the Indians won just 7 games last year, and since its founding more than a century ago, the school's enrollment is virtually all Native American students.   Third-year Head Coach Chad Kills Crow is a member of the Oglala Lakota (Sioux) tribe, and last year's roster was predominently Native American players from Oklahoma, Kansas, South Dakota and Alaska, only two of whom were over 6'-3" tall.

I am still not a big fan of the "tough" schedule we do every year.  We really need a couple years of getting back to 25 wins.  Our RPI means nothing if we feel like we lose all the time.  Wins generate excitement. And switching leagues again, we will have no idea how we will fair in the win/loss category in conference.  I wish we would lighten up a bit. We aren't stealing wins from these big guys anymore.   My guess its the paycheck that drives the tough schedule?

I am glad the Nephilim from NMSU is gone for our game with them.  

01_Menzies2.JPG

• Upvote 1

final MGM main event team...LINK

The Wayne Tinkle era begins officially at Oregon State on Friday, Nov. 14 when the Beavers open the 2014-15 campaign against the Rice Owls at Gill Coliseum. OSU will host Alcorn State (Monday, Nov. 17) and Oral Roberts (Friday, Nov. 21) at Gill in preliminary games for the MGM Grand Main Event before traveling to Las Vegas for contests against Oklahoma State and Auburn or Tulsa.

Wayne Tinkle?

Could be worse, I suppose...

Hearing that Earl Grant's staff likely to consist of Antonio Reynolds-Dean, Dick Bender (Clemson) and J.D. Powell (Citadel).

— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN)

September 3, 2014

Wayne Tinkle?

Could be worse, I suppose...

Sportcenter's NASCAR highlights aren't the same without Dan Patrick telling me Dick Trickle finished 32nd.

back on topic...

Dec. 16 home game vs. Oral Roberts (7 CT) on ESPNU. That's 24 of 30 reg. season games so far set for nat'l TV. Sked: http://t.co/m85lQHiS06

— Oklahoma Basketball (@OU_MBBall)

September 3, 2014
  • Upvote 1

First time for ORU on the World Wide Leader's family of networks since .... when?

(ESPN3 stream of someone else's production does not count)

My guess would be 2010 versus Tulsa as part of the College Basketball Tip-off Marathon. 

Speaking of Tulsa, their men's basketball wikipedia entry is hilarious: 

Tulsa's primary basketball rival is Wichita State University, but that rivalry has faded somewhat since Tulsa left the Missouri Valley Conference after the 1995 season. Tulsa also has a mild rivalry with Oral Roberts University, which is located in southern Tulsa. The teams began play in 1974 and has largely been one sided, however Oral Roberts has tightened the gap quite a bit in recent years, the two teams currently play annually. A traveling trophy, the Mayor's Cup, is exchanged between the winner of the game. Tulsa hired Bill Self away from Oral Roberts in 1997.

That's comical. I wonder if Wichita State is aware that TU is their primary rival? Im surprised they didn't list Memphis.

Milwaukee announced their schedule today and they STILL don't know who they are playing in the first round at the MGM Grand Main Event in Las Vegas:

The #Milwaukee MBB schedule is out and the Panthers will make 4 appearances on ESPN networks! http://t.co/1HdzdGNL9J pic.twitter.com/RMCyDvDrsf

— Milwaukee Men's BB (@MKE_MBB)

September 9, 2014

This whole deal is now officially MESSED UP:  if the promoter doesn't have a fourth mid-major team by now to join Milwaukee, ORU and La-Lafayette in the "Middleweight" bracket, what are the chances they'll find one at this late date? :doh:

according to the oregonlive.com article i quoted above, it's Alcorn St. (Alcorn has not posted their sched. yet to verify)

also here is a tweet from a local sports reporter up there.

OSU will host Alcorn State (Monday, Nov. 17) and Oral Roberts (Friday, Nov. 21) at Gill in preliminary games for the MGM Grand Main Event.

— Kristen Rodgers (@KristenERodgers)

September 2, 2014

according to the oregonlive.com article i quoted above, it's Alcorn St. (Alcorn has not posted their sched. yet to verify)

also here is a tweet from a local sports reporter up there.

Well, that explains some things (like why the event organizers said they were simply waiting on a signed contract from the 4th team).

Alcorn State is one of the more screwed-up programs in all of D-1, understaffed from operating on a shoestring budget.

Case in point:  the most recent post on the Men's Basketball page of their official website is dated May 27th... :doh:

Update (or, more accurately, a lack thereof):  Oregon State has its 2014-2015 non-conference schedule posted on its website, and while the Nov. 21 ORU game in Corvallis is listed, there's no mention of Alcorn State on Nov. 17, or any other date:

Oregon State non-conference schedule 2014-15

This whole thing is weird... :^)