Southland/Summit Post-Season

ORU82

Man, is ORU returning to the Summit at the right time, or what?

Of course, if SFA wins in equally dramatic fashion Friday night over Shaka Smart and VCU, the Southland will be strutting its stuff, too.

But, there's just something about a mid-major beating a big football school that captures the public's imagination.  A lot of casual observers will never grasp just how good this NDSU team is, or how fragile this OU team's success was this year.  It really wasn't an upset; the better team won.

Still, what most folks will see is simply David beating Goliath - which is ALWAYS what makes March Madness so special.

Great night for NDSU and the Summit League - and, ultimately, great night for ORU:  all the publicity will sell a few more tickets next year when the Bison roll into town.

Great post, as usual, OT.

What do you have against the BiZon?

I got into a Twitter exchange last night with Doug Gottlieb - during the game - about his insistence on saying "Bizon" instead of "Bison" when referring to NDSU(which is what, for some reason, the Fargo faithful have decided over the years to call their team.  Even they will admit they use the more conventional "bison" to describe actual buffalo). 

The confusion spilled onto the CBS postgame desk later that night, with Grant Hill arguing for "bison" with Seth Davis, who was so loopy after a full day of games that he kept saying "It's Bizon - the Z is silent", which made absolutely no sense.

For the record, I can not understand why an announcer born in Orange County, and who works in LA and is calling a game in Spokane, feels it necessary to sound like he's from the Dakotas for 90 minutes. 

If he called the Louisville-Manhattan game last night, would he have been dropping "Loo-ah-ville" and "Jas-PAH" bombs all over the broadcast to placate the audience from Kentucky and The Bronx?

If Gottlieb ever does World Cup, is he going to start trilling his r's every chance he gets?

Frankly, I can even imagine some situations where trying to sound "local" could lead to some social and/or racial backlash.  It's borderline condescending.

Better to stick with the conventional pronunciations, and leave the coloquial nuances to the respective fan bases. 

Regardless of what they say in Fargo, NDSU will always be the "Bison" to me...

Ironically, that is one of the reasons I have a sour taste in my mouth toward NDSU. Being screamed down from the stands..."It's BIZON, not BISON". I mean, really. C'mon. You feel it necessary to scream down an announcer for not using your colloquial pronunciation, at a road game? Honestly, it makes me want to say BISON even more.

Couple that with the "net cutting" incident, and I really have no warm feelings about the BISON.

Ironically, that is one of the reasons I have a sour taste in my mouth toward NDSU. Being screamed down from the stands..."It's BIZON, not BISON". I mean, really. C'mon. You feel it necessary to scream down an announcer for not using your colloquial pronunciation, at a road game? Honestly, it makes me want to say BISON even more.

Couple that with the "net cutting" incident, and I really have no warm feelings about the BISON.

Phillips has started to grow on me, though in my typically cynical perception I have to admit it feels like he's auditioning for a better job every time he opens his mouth this week.

It's darn near Hinson-esque... :talk:

*NOW*, OT, you understand my frustration with the eastern pronunciation of "torn"-ament as opposed the western pronunciation of "turn" -ament. When I brought THAT up a while back I was roundly criticized for being boring, disconnected and shallow.

Man, what goes around comes around!! ;-)

You just don't understand how good the Big East is... or something. :wasntme:

I found myself rooting for OU last night (longtime football fan and I went to law school there).  But then when I read all the lamentations from OU fans today on Facebook, it made it all worthwhile.  It is definitely good for the Summit.

One of my boys made the comment last night that Phillips looked like he was trying to find someone to let him cut down the nets after the game....

Phillips has started to grow on me, though in my typically cynical perception I have to admit it feels like he's auditioning for a better job every time he opens his mouth this week.

It's darn near Hinson-esque... :talk:

Excellent comparison!

Just one difference...Phillips has actually accomplished something.

• Upvote 1

As far as I'm concerned NDSU deserves to be called whatever they want to be called Bizon -- Winners -- Summit Standard Setters...

We have some work to do...  :|

The most apparent factor (to me)  in the success by low/mid-majors is an experienced/seasoned squad of players. One of the things working against us in the last couple of years is our relative youth. In fact, given injuries and defections, as well as red-shirt transfers, we have had trouble with roster continuity over the last few years.

So true Terry.  During the 2012-2013 season, with DBH and Warren Niles being seniors and Shawn Glover's and Bilbury's talent, it is amazing that we weren't able to accomplish more.  Perhaps the weak link was not having an accomplished senior point guard.

If we had recruited Emegano instead of letting him go to Western Illinois, he would have been a nice addition as a sophomore to that team.  I also realize that if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

PG play is the most critical position on the court -- we need our guys to improve this off season and we probably need a JUCO PG. I'd even be willing to find out what Stevie Clarke is up to.

• Upvote 1

I can remember past NCAA tournaments, watching teams get after it that ORU had beaten or had played close, and thinking to myself, "Man, if only ORU was in the big dance, we could compete with these guys!"

Not. This. Year. :doh:

congrats to FargoBison and our other NDSU friends...gutty win for the Bison. :clap: :clap: :clap:

You have NDSU friends?

What do you have against the BiZon?

I got into a Twitter exchange last night with Doug Gottlieb - during the game - about his insistence on saying "Bizon" instead of "Bison" when referring to NDSU(which is what, for some reason, the Fargo faithful have decided over the years to call their team.  Even they will admit they use the more conventional "bison" to describe actual buffalo). 

The confusion spilled onto the CBS postgame desk later that night, with Grant Hill arguing for "bison" with Seth Davis, who was so loopy after a full day of games that he kept saying "It's Bizon - the Z is silent", which made absolutely no sense.

For the record, I can not understand why an announcer born in Orange County, and who works in LA and is calling a game in Spokane, feels it necessary to sound like he's from the Dakotas for 90 minutes. 

If he called the Louisville-Manhattan game last night, would he have been dropping "Loo-ah-ville" and "Jas-PAH" bombs all over the broadcast to placate the audience from Kentucky and The Bronx?

If Gottlieb ever does World Cup, is he going to start trilling his r's every chance he gets?

Frankly, I can even imagine some situations where trying to sound "local" could lead to some social and/or racial backlash.  It's borderline condescending.

Better to stick with the conventional pronunciations, and leave the coloquial nuances to the respective fan bases. 

Regardless of what they say in Fargo, NDSU will always be the "Bison" to me...

Gottlieb's coming right at you, OT: "Remember folks, that's Bizon with a 'z,' not Bison with an 's'!"

TMH,

I missed that but it sure sounds to me like he is saying it with an "S."  I thought OT straightend him out.

I did like his Glengarry Glen Ross reference though.

He may slip and say it "Bison" once or twice, but he did say the above during the game. I thought it was hilarious, after OT's comments on here yesterday!

I fond this blast from the past while going through some stuff today. I'm really not hoarder, but my wife thinks I need to learn to get rid of some stuff.

But who would want to get rid of this? It's a really nice pic of Caleb Green, and besides, it's a really nice reminder of some really good times.

Dominating Presence

• Upvote 1

He may slip and say it "Bison" once or twice, but he did say the above during the game. I thought it was hilarious, after OT's comments on here yesterday!

I can't wait to hear Voice call them "BY-son" every stinkin' time from now on. 

I'm gonna stand up & cheer, while pointing at him from across the court, and only half dozen of us in the Mabee Center will know why. :rofl: