Southland/Summit Post-Season

ORU82

Here is how the two conferences ended up in post-season bids.  In the Big Dance, both SFA and NDSU are 12th seeds with SFA getting VCU and NDSU taking on OU (Oklahoma),  Neither conference had an NIT bid.  The Summit had one bid in the CBI, that being SDSU at Old Dominion.  Both conferences received CIT bids with SHSU taking on Alabama State and TAMCC getting Northern Colorado.  Finally, the Summit has IPFW hosting Akron and Nebraska-Omaha hosting North Dakota.  Thus, the Southland received a total of three post-season bids (SFA, SHSU and TAMCC) while the Summit had four bids (NDSU, SDSU, IPFW and UNO).  Therefore, the Southland placed approximately 21.5% of its membership in post-season play while the Summit placed approximately 50% of its membership in post-season play.

On another note, eleven (11) of the teams on our schedule this year received post-season bids.  In the NCAA they are Wichita State (1), Wisconsin (2), St. Louis (5), Baylor (6), Kansas State (9), SFA (12) and Tulsa (13).  In the CIT they are SHSU, TAMCC, Akron and Missouri State.  Not bad for strength of schedule.

They didn't do Wichita st any favors with thier draw in the tourney at all. The Cards will be tough for them in the round of 16 if they get by Kentucky/Kst.

I think NDSU may have a shot at OU and SFA has a shot against VCU if they can break the press and hit a few 3s.

I don't think TU can stay with UCLA but if they can win a game that will help Manning with his job search.:):)

TheEagleman expects UCLA will wax TU by at least 15-20 points.....I would take a flyer on SFA over VCU....I think the Lumberjacks are on a real roll....and there is always a 5/12 upset just about every year.....NDSU over OU?...could happen.....TheEagleman will root for the Bison.....i know...hard to believe... :nerd:

Seth Davis was giving SFA all kinds of love on the CBS selection show.

Kiss of death....

SFA just got mentioned on CNN.....maybe the Jacks can make a run?.... :nerd:

It will depend on how SFA handles their pressure defense - and how physical the refs let VCU play. SFA also has to make shots. I think the Lumberjacks' defense should keep them in the game.

After watching St. Joe's dispatch VCU yesterday, TheEagleman thinks that SFA can win this game.....the Jacks are a very disciplined team and will likely have the crowd behind them if they get ahead in far away San Diego, CA.....I like SFA in this truly neutral site match up.... :nerd:

I think the Bison can take OU and I will be rooting for them. I am not sure about SFA but I will be rooting for them as well.

Amazing that NDSU is only a 3.5 point underdog against OU....it seems that they are the trendy underdog 5/12 pick but Vegas seems to know something.....the Sooners had better come to play.....and TheEagleman thinks that SFA will beat VCU but the Lumberjacks are getting 6.5 points on the Vegas line.....very interesting.....another interesting 5/12 line is Harvard only getting 3 points against Cincinnati......  :nerd:

Davis has been giving SFA the No. 25 vote on his AP ballot for several weeks now, and has taken a lot of heat for it from his many critics. 

The Lumberjacks have done him a solid by not stubbing their toe during that time; he was pulling a bit of an "I told you so" by touting them during the selection show.

P.S.  I like SFA and NDSU both in their first round games, and maybe even to the Sweet Sixteen.  No joke.  A lot depends on how their games are officiated, especially the SFA-VCU game:  will the Jacks be allowed to hand-check and hip-check the way they did in Southland play?

OT,

You have seen SFA do you think VCU's quickness and pressing will bother them? I just don't know what their guard play is like.

How about Valpo losing at home to Columbia last night?.....and SHSU won by 20+ over Alabama State.... :nerd:

OT,

You have seen SFA do you think VCU's quickness and pressing will bother them? I just don't know what their guard play is like.

They handled NWSU and SHSU's pressure six times this year with no problem.  They have excellent guard play; very mature.  Plus, their "bigs" are actually 3's and 4's who can handle the ball.

Where SFA is going to have problems is with true size.  That's how Texas was able to beat them.  Until the Lumberjacks are matched against a really big opponent, I'm taking them in every game they play, including UCLA.

Their only other flaw is (like most mid-majors) limited quality depth if they get in foul trouble.  That's why I worry about how any of their games are officiated.

SFA doesn't turn the ball over very often –– I see that game being close up until the end –– with  VCU pulling out the victory. OU / NDSU –– I don't see as close. I'll be rooting against the Sooners but I can't see Saul Philips and co. pulling off the upset. 

I suspect that since VCU plays a very physical style of pressure defense (similar to Louisville), the officials will let both teams play. That assumes the referees are even handed in terms of fouls.

BTW, I have watched a lot of basketball over the last couple of weeks and it seems that the officials have completely forgotten about the emphasis on hand checkings on the perimeter.

I believe VCU point guard is banged up also. I'm rooting for them and Tim Brooks will be going crazy watching his son play.:)