ORU vs. Sam Houston State (Southland Tournament)

ORUTerry

ORU falls 70-61...Billbury leads with 20 on 8-14 shooting.....we actually took 53 shots for the game and SHSU only 39....but we still got beaten decisively......we need to make some changes in the off season....getting Emegano back will be huge but we need more.....a lot more..... :nerd:

Listening to Coach Sutton's post game radio interview just gave me the feeling that he doesn't have a lot of faith in his players willingness to to do the work to get better....on a side note, Ben Braun resigns from Rice today....possibly a place Sutton may be interested in leaving for?

There is still the baseball season. We could end up with another Southland championship in baseball. Although the competition is tough.

Anyone who doesn't think it speaks volumes that senior Shawn Glover was absent from the postgame press conference is kidding themselves.

Scott Sutton said flatly, "This was not Shawn Glover's kind of game.  He doesn't like it when it's physical out there."

Brandon and Korey were openly critical of Shawn; Brandon said he should have shown senior leadership when things were tough,  but instead "has hanging his head and getting everyone else down".  Korey said Shawn would not post up inside like he was supposed to, choosing instead to float around outside, disrupting the offensive flow.

When you hear things like that from two starters, it's not hard to see why things never quite clicked on the floor from this group once Obi (and his leadership) were lost.

The entire press conference will be up on the Southland website later - interesting viewing.

• Upvote 1

wow...surprised that Korey and Brandon would both throw Glover under the bus in the postgame.

Well...there ya go....Glover seemed to this observer this season and last to be just a guy who puts up numbers but no real substance to his game...these kinds of players are a dime a dozen........similar to Warren Niles....as stated in a previous thread earlier today....TheEagleman believes that ORU will not miss Glover very much next year....sure he's a nice guy and helped us win some games but he's a 2nd or 3rd fiddle on a good team....a player like Glover can't be counted on to win games for you when the going gets tough....and sounds like Sutton, Billbury and Conley just told it like it was.....Glover's 20 points per game can be easily made up by a combo of Emegano, Billbury, Conley, Word and maybe Lee....all those guys will now get more opportunities to score. :nerd:

Wait... who thought Glover was that guy? If you did, you have no one to blame but yourself. He is who he's always been and scored pretty darn well. He wasn't the floor general we needed but he never claimed to be. This is as much on the coaches as anyone.

That surprises me because Glover did a lot of good things this year.  It makes you wonder if something has been brewing for awhile.  That can be a tough situation to coach through if basically your best player isn't doing what he is being asked to do in such an important game.

Here's hoping Albert Owens is a stud.  If so, then our top 9 players for next year would be: Owens, Conley, Emegano, Wilson, Kaufman, Word, Lee, Bilbury and DJ Jackson.  Of course Singleton and Henderson (if he is still around after the academic issues) would also get playing time.  There will be some interesting battles for playing time next year for sure.  

watched the postgame again and you can tell they are more frustrated by the season than any of us fans.  it's easy to see that Korey has a big heart and just wants to win.

i'm hoping we will see some big leaps in development this offseason.  it's still a young core group that can reach many of the goals they had when they came to ORU if they hang in there and learn from this tough year.

much thanks to Shawn and DMace for their contibution to ORUMBB.  Shawn had a great individual year and will make a good living playing pro ball.  it's a shame for him that it ended with two of his worst games of the year.

lastly, i have faith that Coach Sutton and crew will get things righted and ORUMBB will be back competing for championships in short order.

TheEagleman agrees that ORU basketball will have some positive things to look forward to in 2014-15....Obi coming back healthy (we hope)....the maturation of Billbury...Albert Owens....Dederick Lee.....Kaufman should be more effective in the Summit.....what we also need is D.J. Jackson or Jabbar Singleton to come around and do a better job....if not, we will still have problems....yeah, TheEagleman is figuring that Coach Sutton will address that issue...he was a PG at OSU and understands that if the team doesn't have a general on the court....well, that's a HUGE problem....it sure was this season.....but things are not totally dark for next season.....looking forward to a better year and a return to the Summit..... :eagles:

Something else that Coach Sutton said in the post-game on radio is that this year's guys weren't going to the gym to work on their game outside of practice. I think he mentioned that one of the other coaches said he had guys that wouldn't leave the gym; they were always in there. And that makes a big difference.

This 2014-15 team clearly had no leadership from upperclassman which hurt the team.....that should change next year with Emegano and Billbury......I hope.....Sounds like Coach Sutton was very frustrated with his squad....  :|

Geoff Haxton posted his post-game interviews with Sean & Scott Sutton after the McNeese State and Sam Houston games on Twitter via Drop Box, but I don't know how to link them.

Sutton also mentioned that Moses Ehambe came to ORU as a 6'4" post player on his high school team, but worked very hard to make himself into a shooter.

Here is the link to Haxton's interview with Sean Sutton after the McNeese State game.

Here is the link to Haxton's interview with Scott Sutton after the Sam Houston State game.

Well . . .  :worried:

Really like Billbury and Conley –– hope they're not too discouraged and can get back to getting better soon. 

fair enough, but i bet if they could have it over again, they would keep their comments more generalized and not name a specific player.    some stuff needs to stay in the locker room.

i think they'll bounce back and grow into the leaders they felt were lacking from this year's team.  Obi, Korey, and Brandon are the least of Sutton's worries...he needs some of the others to get in the gym (as referenced in the radio interview above) and get better this off season.

I saw that last night. It appears that some people read the message board.

I think we have a nice nucleus of returning players. We just need to get better point guard play and execute on defense.