ORU vs. McNeese State (Southland Tournament)

ORUTerry

Hey...despite his 21 point average....we aren't going to miss Glover that much next season....he's invisible or awful in crunch time...... :!:

you're gonna miss a guy that puts up 20+ pts every time the ball is tipped.

Shawn has had a phenomenal season, there is no need to knock a guy because of a reserved personality.  Shawn does not have back-to-back poor games.  i'm expecting a big night from him tonight.

I am going to miss Shawn Glover and his offensive output. The team has to find his 20+ points from somewhere next year.

Uh....sorry to disagree....hey, I like Glover...he's a scorer who has kept us in a lot of games this season and we would have been maybe 12-20 without him....but his 20 pts per game will be replaced by Obi, Lee and Billbury....I only see the ORU home games and a handful of road games but when crunch time happens (save for Incarnate Word) it's usually not Glover but Billbury who gets the ball.....I hope Shawn gets a game winning basket tonight.....but his output is replaceable next season..... :nerd:

I hope Lee ends up being a stud next season, but he's kind of a small guard so I'm not sure he will be the force everyone expects him to be. I hope I am totally proven wrong next year.

With all due respect to Shawn's consistency in scoring 21 points a game this season:  there's a lot more to basketball than just scoring, and individual scoring is a poor indicator of whether a team is any good or not.  Go check the national stats if you want:  there are a lot of teams out there with losing records who have a guy who scores 16-20 points a game.

That being said, ORU will, in fact, miss Glover's offensive production next season, for the simple reason they have no one on their current roster who can fill it up like that - not even Obi.

With all due respect to Shawn's consistency in scoring 21 points a game this season:  there's a lot more to basketball than just scoring . . . there are a lot of teams out there with losing records who have a guy who scores 16-20 points a game.

That's like telling Yemi Ogunye, "Son, there's a lot more to basketball than defense." There are a lot of teams out there with losing rrecords with guys that average three points a game.

You don't win without putting the ball in that basket. Period. ;-)

Sorry, TMH....I know that a team needs a little of both but TheEagleman will take five Yemis over five Glovers any day of the week and twice on Sunday.....heart and hustle most always win out.... :nerd:

I'll take 3 Glovers and 2 Yemi's.  That would be a pretty tough team to beat.

I'll take three Yemi's and two Glover's. The Glovers would score 40 to 45 a game and it would be tough to score 40 on those three Yemis.

LOL....true that....a team of Yemis and Glovers would be nice....also throw me in a little DoMo....TheEagleman loved that kids' talent and heart..... :nerd:

I think Terry NAILED it - although it might be a rather boring season! Can you imagine game after game in the 40s and 50s?

Might as well dump the shot clock and go four corners on offense . . .

Defense wins championships.

Watch out for Louisville and Virginia (two good defensive teams) in the NCAA Tournament. They will be helped by the fact that the officials have evidently dropped their emphasis on curtailing physical play.

That's like telling Yemi Ogunye, "Son, there's a lot more to basketball than defense." There are a lot of teams out there with losing rrecords with guys that average three points a game.

Not if they hold their opponents under 40% shooting and win the rebound battle, there's not.

The old saying is that offense will come and go during the season, but good defense can be counted on every night; helping you to win (or, at least, stay in) games when the offense is struggling.

ORU's teams the last two years have not been as good defensively.  Period.

Not if they hold their opponents under 40% shooting and win the rebound battle, there's not.

The old saying is that offense will come and go during the season, but good defense can be counted on every night; helping you to win (or, at least, stay in) games when the offense is struggling.

ORU's teams the last two years have not been as good defensively.  Period.

On that we can definitely agree, OT. Why is that, with two defense-wins-championships-type coaches sitting on the bench?

It's like in baseball, when you have a really good pitcher who can throw a 2- or 3-hitter. And then, if the fielders also do their job, you only need 1 run to win. 

On that we can definitely agree, OT. Why is that, with two defense-wins-championships-type coaches sitting on the bench?

The usual reasons, and they're real simple in man-to-man defense: 

1.  Individually, take pride in not letting your man catch the ball, pass the ball, shoot the ball, drive the ball, rebound the ball, or beat you down the floor.

2.  As a team, take pride in "helping" when Rule #1 breaks down.

That's it.