ORU vs. McNeese State (Southland Tournament)

ORUTerry

what a painful victory....if McNeese shoots anything north of 30%, ORU would have dropped this one.

Glad we won, but missing 5 of last 6 FTs is a major problem.  Would have been run out of the gym against a decent team with that effort tonight.

• Upvote 1

As others have mentioned, Singleton made several bad passes that resulted in run outs.

Our free throw shooting was poor; bad concentration

The Cowboys (specifically Eackles) took bad shots and missed them.

Must have been a painful game to watch....TheEagleman is glad he didn't....so we will take this ugly 66-62 win and move on to play Sam Houston State and their tool of a coach.....hate to get bounced by those guys two years in a row... :nerd:

Korey does not lack confidence.  in the postgame when asked about SHSU; he said they have a good team, but he's not worried because they have to beat us.

Any win is a good win. Hopefully we got all of the bad play out of our system.

Just watched the post game press conference with Sutton, Billbury and Conley. Sutton said we need to play better against SHSU to have a chance to win. Said Jackson may have saved the game with his late 3 pointer. Also said Conley can score - we just do a good job of getting him the ball. Thought we shot too many 3 pointers in the first half. Their zone forced us to rely on perimeter shots. Thought Korey's steal late in the game was big.

Conley said he is playing with confidence. Korey said that SHSU is a very balanced team - it will be a tough game.

The McNeese State coach confirmed that they were playing a box and one against Billbury late in the game.

Korey does not lack confidence.  in the postgame when asked about SHSU; he said they have a good team, but he's not worried because they have to beat us.

I liked this response. It was confident and not cocky - just matter of fact.

One good thing about playing a first round game - you have a chance to get a feel for the arena and tourney play, and get rid of the jitters.  Let's hope we left them there on the SHSU bench for the Bearcats to pick up in their first game of the tourney, because if we have them again tomorrow we'll be driving north too early.

ORU played probably their best game of 2014 while beating SHSU at Mabee Center less than two weeks ago....we played with heart and intensity that night especially in the final 5 minutes.......the Good Guys will need to match that effort and make some FTs tomorrow night if we are going to have a chance to advance to the semifinals against Texas A&M-CC..... :nerd:

ORU's basketball IQ drops percipitously in late game situations

This.

It's like you hear the gears grinding to a halt.

There is simply no one out there who is a take-charge kind of guy.

Well, maybe Billbury.

Most telling quote of the night, from the McNeese State coach in the post-game presser:  "We went box-and-one because we knew we had to find a way to stop Billbury.  Shawn Glover is a nice player and all, but I really feel like Billbury is the heart and soul of that team."

If Korey can go out there and stand on his head every night, ORU has a fighting chance.

But, if he has an off night (or if he just gets shut down by good defense), it's going to get ugly real quick from here on out.

Most telling quote of the night, from the McNeese State coach in the post-game presser:  "We went box-and-one because we knew we had to find a way to stop Billbury.  Shawn Glover is a nice player and all, but I really feel like Billbury is the heart and soul of that team."

Wow – hard to argue with that. 

I wish Glover had a more assertive personality - but he doesn't. He is talented and capable with the abillity to impose his will on a game. But that is not his style. If I was out there, I would knock the point guards in the head and tell them to quit shooting and get the ball to Glover, Billbury or Word. I saw several times last night where Word had worked hard coming off screens, running the baseline, etc. and the point guard just ignored him - and then shot the ball. If you are a point guard, your job is to find the open man - not shoot the ball just because you have it in your hands.

I wish Glover had a more assertive personality - but he doesn't. He is talented and capable with the abillity to impose his will on a game. But that is not his style. If I was out there, I would knock the point guards in the head and tell them to quit shooting and get the ball to Glover, Billbury or Word. I saw several times last night where Word had worked hard coming off screens, running the baseline, etc. and the point guard just ignored him - and then shot the ball. If you are a point guard, your job is to find the open man - not shoot the ball just because you have it in your hands.

The thing I find maddening about Glover is that, despite being double-teamed for over 30 games this season, he often makes such poor decisions when trapped (either forcing a bad shot or falling away as he passes).

Caleb Green almost acted like he WANTED to draw double-teams; he loved finding a cutter to dish the ball to, or splitting the defenders to get himself open.

Even though it's happened hundreds of times this season, Shawn still seems almost surprised when he gets double-teamed.  He actually got TRIPLE-TEAMED in the paint a couple of times last night, and still forced up bad shots instead of looking for the open man.

On a related note, I've never seen Scott Sutton personally castigate a player so much during games this late in the year as he does Glover:  every break in the action last night, it seemed like he stepped onto the floor to confront Shawn as he came to the bench.  Tough love?  A teaching moment?  Who knows.  But he sure seemed exasperated at times with his senior leading-scorer...

I completely agree Terry. The guards were chucking 3s and no one was going after a rebound while we were up by 8 - 10 points. This was not a one time event either. It kept happening. And I will not mention a certain guard who got picked not once but multiple times. Absolutely no excuse for that type of play. It darn near cost us the game.