ORU at Northwestern State

theeagleman5

Well....we have come to the final regular season game of what has been a disappointing season....the Demons are one game ahead of us in the Southland standing for the 4th and final first round bye spot...TheEagleman is not sure who has the tiebreaker and if ORU even has a shot to finish 4th with a victory tomorrow afternoon...so this may be a meaningless game....looks like we will face McNeese State or SE Louisiana in the first round....makes no difference to me....this team hasn't really shown much spunk lately except in the 2nd half against SHSU last Saturday night at Mabee Center....so TheEagleman doesn't expect much from the Good Guys on Saturday....we will probably hang around most of the game but we just don't seem to match up well against these guys....expect NW State to finish us off by 88-79.....then it's flip a coin in the tournament next week.... :sweat:

ORU trails NW State 42-41 at half after leading by as many as 7.....Glover leads with 16....we have 7 turnovers already.... :sweat:

back to back tough shooting game for Billbury....good thing Glover is keeping them in the game.

ORU falls 88-82, will be the sixth seed in Katy, plays No. 7 McNeese State at 7:30 on Wednesday.

Coach Sutton says he expects to get to the final game in Katy.  i'm not seeing it.

TheEagleman was close on the prediction but got the result correct.....Glover with 26 and Billbury with 21....if ORU makes the final in the Southland Tournament......TheEagleman will buy Coach Sutton a case of Coors..... :nerd:

The track to the final:

McNeese State

Sam Houston State

Texas A+M-CC

The big challenge will be playing three games in three days - but I think we'll be competitive in each game and have as good a chance as anyone to reach the final on this side of the bracket.  RPIforecast gives us an 11% chance of winning the tourney, second in the conference to SFA's 66%.   Can anyone say "prohibitive favorite"???

ORU certainly appears fortunate to have the 6th seed instead of the 4th or 5th....still we are only 1-3 this season against the teams listed above....TheEaglemans' expectations are kinda low.... :sweat:

ORU certainly appears fortunate to have the 6th seed instead of the 4th or 5th....still we are only 1-3 this season against the teams listed above....TheEaglemans' expectations are kinda low.... :sweat:

Pick your poison:  ORU was 0-for-5 vs. the #5, #4, and #1 seeds they would've had to get through in the other half of the bracket.

That's right:  ORU was a dismal 1-8 in the regular season vs. everyone in the tournament bracket except #8 SELA.

Getting to the finals this year with this team would represent the pinnacle of ORU's 2-year Southland sojourn, and perhaps the most unlikely post-season run in Sutton's 15-year career.

• Upvote 1

That's right:  ORU was a dismal 1-8 in the regular season vs. everyone in the tournament bracket except #8 SELA.

OUCH!!    let that sink in.....that's in the 27th ranked conference in the country. :puke:

An 8-seed for the women's team and a 6-seed for the men's team in one of the weakest conferences in the country. Wow. This seems like more of a low point for ORU basketball than I realized.

Thank goodness for Albert Owens because otherwise I'm not so sure there is much other positive recruiting news that makes me think either of these teams will be considerably better next year. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but am trying to be realistic.

The optimistic side of me says that since Jenny Bryan is now able to make some contributions and there is not a truly dominant women's team in this conference like SDSU, then the girls have a chance.

After the SHSU game last week, I felt the men's team had turned the corner, but it seems that when this team isn't at home, they don't seem to have the focus, confidence, and mental strength (without Obi) to win against a decent team. Quite often it is due to a lack of playing consistent defense. My optimistic side says that maybe Old Titan was right and getting a few wins on the weaker side of the bracket could be just the thing to launch them to a finals showdown with SFA and a possible upset win. Or perhaps an overconfident SFA gets taken out in the semis in a surprise by a resurgent NW State team2 years in a row and we won't have to beat SFA after all. Time will tell...

Really hard to imagine SFA stubbing their toe for a second consecutive year, especially against Northwestern State (the team that denied them an NCAA bid last season).

They REALLY seem to be a team on a mission, ala ORU the season after being upset in the Mid-Con tourney by a #6 Oakland team.

I would imagine that SHSU or even TA&M-CC might worry SFA more as finals opponents than NWS in the semi's, but I guess we'll see in a few days!

Also, the only 2 wins by ORU against teams without a losing record in the Southland Conference are the win against Incarnate Word and the upset of SHSU last Saturday night.  When you consider that we were picked to finish 2nd in the conference, and that if you count Incarnate Word we really ended up in 7th place in the conference, this season has really been somewhat of a disappointment.  They still have a chance to redeem themselves with a run through the Southland Conference tournament.  A first round loss would be tough to swallow.

TheEagleman loves ORU basketball.....but....This is truly the lowest point for ORU basketball in the 21st Century.....we are below mediocre.....as it was brilliantly stated above.....ORU is the 6th place team in the 27th rated conference in America....our RPI is below 200.....friends.....let's face it....we stink...... :puke: :puke: :puke:

OUCH!! let that sink in.....that's in the 27th ranked conference in the country. :puke:

TheEagleman loves ORU basketball.....but....This is truly the lowest point for ORU basketball in the 21st Century.....we are below mediocre.....as it was brilliantly stated above.....ORU is the 6th place team in the 27th rated conference in America....our RPI is below 200.....friends.....let's face it....we stink...... :puke: :puke: :puke:

This has in fact been one of the toughest years in recent history for ORUMBB but it's worth remembering that we had extraordinary circumstances that has led us to place we are now -- including recruiting debacle of Shaq Morris, the dismissal of Roundtree, and the injury to Emegano. I'm sure the coaches are expecting to have a sleepless summer as they mine every possible channel for recruiting unknowns. With young players on our team like Billbury eager to win, our coaches need to put a better supporting cast on the court next year.

https://twitter.com/THREEpoint5/statuses/441805495943168000

i'd add passing on Shaq Harrison to that list.  do you think this team could use a PG that is averaging 10.1 pts per game? Geoff described the NSU defense as playing 5 on 3 at times because the ORU PGs were no threat to score.

my comment above was not meant as a slam on the players.  to their credit this team gives maximum effort, but finishing 6th in the 27th ranked conference should never be acceptable to the coaches and administrators.

i'm sure Mr Carter is taking a long look at the athletic dept.  i don't know how anyone could be bullish on ORU athletics, especially when we are moving to a tougher conference.  there's not a single ORU team that one could point to and say that the arrow is pointed in the right direction.

TheEagleman agrees that adding Roundtree and Emegano to the ORU starting line up would make a huge difference in our record for 2013-14...but yeah, D.J. Jackson has been a major disappointment....Singleton is a freshman so I will give him a one year pass.... :nerd: