Does ORU Need To Lose 2 Of Their Next 4 Games?

Old Titan

Tonight proves anything can happen in the Southland Tournament at Katy....3-11 Central Arkansas whips 11-3 Sam Houston State, 80-71.....SFA remains unbeaten though as they are beating New Orleans on the road by 35 in the final minutes.....The Lumberjacks are gonna be prohibitive favorites....no way they want to get upset in the final two years in a row.....SFA could possibly be a 10 or 11 seed in the dance....certainly no lower than a 12 if they run the table.....they will give the higher seed a very rough game in the NCAA first round...and could win to advance to a 2nd game.... :nerd:

Unless last year's defeat is still in the head's of the SFA players and staff...

Psychology can be a fickle thing. Get SFA down a few points in the conference tourney and they might be prone to a meltdown...

Unless last year's defeat is still in the head's of the SFA players and staff...

Psychology can be a fickle thing. Get SFA down a few points in the conference tourney and they might be prone to a meltdown...

Not two years in a row.  No way.

Have you noticed what they're doing in the second half of the conference season, when normally it's a lot tougher seeing teams for the second time?

They are DESTROYING people.  Last night, they beat New Orleans by FORTY.

I bet they win every game in Katy by double digits.

SFA is obviously the cream of the league. But I am not convinced they are unbeatable. On Feb 13 they beat Lamar 78 to 69 on the road. On Feb 15 they won at SHSU, 67 to 60. At home on Feb 22nd, they beat NWST 70 to 68.

Our six conference losses are by a total of 28 points (4.7 average)

TAMU-CC:  64 to 71

SFA:  69 to 72

NWST:  83 to 87

Nicholls St:  72 to 73

McNeese:  68 to 79

TAMU-CC:  72 to 74

If ORU plays its' best game of the season and SFA has an off night.....we could win.....but TheEagleman doesn't expect it to happen....the Lumberjacks are on a mission....I also expect them to win the automatic bid easily.....but heck, even if they lose in Katy they deserve an at large bid....anybody think that they wouldn't get one?.... :nerd:

After Saturday nights' play ORU now stands tied for 4th in the Southland with Northwestern State at 10-6....so the game Thursday is a big one for tournament seeding.....of course, so is the Saturday game at SFA....just wondering if we could possibly catch SFA looking ahead to Katy....then again, they will be highly motivated to run the table and finish at 18-0.....that would likely guarantee the Lumberjacks an at large bid should they be upset in the tournament final..... :nerd:

Even with an 18-0 mark, the only bid that SFA will lock down during the regular season is from the NIT. If SFA stubs its toe in Katy, there's no way the NCAA rewards an undefeated season within the 27th ranked conference and a team with a strength of schedule of 319 with an at-large bid.

I completely agree TrueBlue, this is a one bid conference and that bid could easily be a 16th seed play-in.

TheEagleman will concede that because of our weak conference that SFA will not get an at large bid should they get upset in the Southland Tournament....but hard to believe that if the Lumberjacks run the table and finish 31-2 they won't be at worst a 12 or maybe 13 seed in the NCAA tournament.... :!:

If SFA runs the table, there's no way they are a No. 16 seed - more likely something in the 12-14 range.

But, you don't have to take my word for it - consider instead the consensus of sixty-six different bracketology websites, which see the Lumberjacks as a borderline 12-Seed:

The Bracket Matrix

I would NOT want to be the 5 seed that draws SFA in the 5/12 first round game.....TheEagleman will take the Lumberjacks plus the points.... :nerd:

Not two years in a row.  No way.

Have you noticed what they're doing in the second half of the conference season, when normally it's a lot tougher seeing teams for the second time?

They are DESTROYING people.  Last night, they beat New Orleans by FORTY.

I bet they win every game in Katy by double digits.

I'll take that bet.

ORU has now, in fact, qualified as the No. 6 Seed in Katy, though I highly doubt it was by design:  the team played hard and well in mostly-competitive games at SFA and NWS this week.

So now, I won't go so far as to say I LIKE this team's chances of getting to the Southland Tournament finals from the No. 6 position, but i will go so far as to say I LIKE THEM A LOT BETTER than if they had been in the 4-spot....