ORU returns to Summit League

ORUalum

The Southland is a combined 30-82 against D1 competition this season (thru Friday).  Of those 30 wins, the highest projected RPI (per RPIforecast.com) of any defeated team was Bowling Green (136), and second was UTEP (148), and Tulsa (170) was third.  ORU owns two of the top three victories of the non-conference season, while UNO pulled off the UTEP upset.  On the other side of the equation, three Southland teams (UCA, Lamar and TAMCC) have already LOST to a RPI 300+ team.  Frankly, that should be downright embarrassing for the league.

TU got roasted by TCU today, 70-58....looks like a long season at for the Golden Hurricane and their fans............. :clap:

All the teams in the HL are large state schools that are considered commuters. UIC, Cleveland St, Milwaukee, Wright State, Green Bay and Youngstown are lousy academic institutions.  Only other private school is Detroit.  Detroit would jump to the A10 if invited. 

There was a natural rivalry between Butler and Valpo.  Both small private schools in Indiana where basketball is king.  8 of the largest high school bball gyms are in the state of Indiana.  Valpo is 5-0 against Butler in the last 5 games.  Its a shame conference realignment killed a series that has been played 103 times.  A lot of history there.  

Good stuff, okiesooner.

Or, should I say, "IndyHoosier"?

Despite your monicker, I can't find a single one of your posts in which Valpo is NOT either referenced, or mentioned outright...

Regardless, thanks for the input.

Good research.  Yes, many of my post reference Valpo or the HL.  I graduated from there and follow the team on their board as its more active.  I'm attached to ORU more on the soccer side.  I have invested interest in the men's program.  I also keep up with the ORU mens's b'ball team because they were in our conference when I attended Valpo but also because of one of the top scorers is a grad and former student of the current high school I teach at.  Therefore, I root and follow the Golden Eagles. 

• Upvote 1

Tulsa will play in the American Athletic Conference next year, which has a dynamite RPI due to the likes of Louisville, Connecticut, Memphis, etc.

It will be a miracle if TU finishes league play above .500 next year without an immediate infusion of talent.

One of the positive aspects of returning to the Summit League is the sophistication of the print coverage.

There are at least half-a-dozen excellent writers that follow Summit League basketball on a regular basis.  It appears you can add Rob White of the Omaha World-Herald to that list.

In the Southland, there is one:  Jimmie Tramel of the Tulsa World.

After him, it's a pretty significant drop within the Southland's footprint, in terms of basketball's significance and the quality of the coverage.

One of the positive aspects of returning to the Summit League is the sophistication of the print coverage . . .

It appears you can add Rob White of the Omaha World-Herald to that list.

From his article:  "You wonder if the Kangaroos will follow Oral Roberts' lead and ask to come back."

Not exactly how I heard it happened, but I guess everybody makes mistakes.  I can thank all of you that none of those that I make on the board slip by . . .  ;-)

• 1 month later...

THE SUMMIT LEAGUE BY THE NUMBERS
.562  |  Winning percentage vs. traditional Mid-Major teams '10-11 to present
2  | Summit League teams ranked among top 20 of current CollegeInsider.com
Mid-Major Top 25 poll
2/3  |  Current players on NBA rosters / Number of NBA Draft picks since 2008
8  |  Summit League's ranking for non-conference schedule strength as of Feb. 4 (RPIRatings.com)
10 | Record number of former Summit Leaguers in the NBA or D-League during the 2013-14 season
14  |  All-time best Summit League rank on RPIratings & Sagarin Ratings
(achieved in Jan. '14)
50.9 | NCAA leading field goal percentage for North Dakota State

THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL

The college basketball world's best kept secret the past few seasons, The Summit League has been flying "under the radar" when it comes to achievements that place it firmly among the most-discussed "Mid-Major" conferences ...

> RANKINGS
Current rankings and preseason expectations illustrate The Summit League's strength:
    • As of Feb. 4, The Summit League continued to hold an all-time best position in the USA Today Sagarin Ratings (14th). The Summit League also spent most of January occupying a record No. 14 spot in RPIratings.com and North Dakota State reached a league high at No. 24 during the first week of 2014.
    â€¢ The Mid-Major Top 25 preseason poll marked the first time multiple Summit League teams concurrently occupied top-10 positions with North Dakota State's at No. 6, the league's highest spot in 15 years of the poll, and Denver at No. 9, making the league one of three with multiple top-10 squads. Fort Wayne currently holds its highest Mid-Major ranking in history at No. 19 in the Feb. 3 poll.
    â€¢ Denver (No. 5) and North Dakota State (No. 7) made The Summit League one of two leagues with multiple top-10 teams in NBCSports.com's preseason Mid-Major Power Rankings.

> RPI GAINS
    In a "snapshot" of the past five full seasons (2009-13), The Summit League has made a +8 net gain in RPI rankings, placing 27-26-21-16-19 during that span. Using the present RPI (as of Feb. 4), that jump would be an astounding +13 over six seasons. The league's RPI accomplishments include:
    • The nation's 4th-best RPI ranking improvement (+4) since 2009-10
    â€¢ Consecutive top-20 RPI finishes (2012 and 2013) for the first time
     â€¢ Achieving multiple top-100 teams in consecutive years and in three of the past four seasons

> MEASURING UP AGAINST ITS PEERS
    The Summit League has more than "held its own" against traditional mid-majors in recent history while compiling a(n):
    â€¢ .572 winning percentage over the past three seasons (2011-13)
    â€¢ League-record .500+ winning percentage in each of the past four seasons since 2009-10
    â€¢ All-time best .620 clip during the 2011-12 campaign

ORU was a big part of that best mid-major % in 2011-12, and this Rabbit will be happy to have ORU as a challenging, tough conference mate again.

There has been some question as to whether the class of 2006 (NDSU, IPFW, & SDSU) have helped or hurt the Summit League.  IMHO, the successful growth in RPI strengths, and attendence are directly tied to embracing the "Dakota-Centric" profile.

Did you see who's in first place in men's basketball in the Summit right now? It kind of surprised me, but maybe it shouldn't. I haven't been following the various teams' progress that closely.

After this weekend's games, NDSU takes over the #1 spot in the Summit with Fort Wayne and SDSU tied for second.  SDSU is starting to hit its stride and is expected to make a hard charge in the second half of the season to the Summit League Tourney. 

SDSU is starting to hit its stride and is expected to make a hard charge in the second half of the season to the Summit League Tourney. 

So says an SDSU fan - shocking... |(

• 4 weeks later...

THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL

The college basketball world's best kept secret the past few seasons, The Summit League has been flying "under the radar" when it comes to achievements that place it firmly among the most-discussed "Mid-Major" conferences ...

How is it possible to fly "under the radar" and be "among the most-discussed 'Mid Major' conferences" at the same time?