ORU vs. TU

Old Titan

DBH owns this loss with his tech up 17.  i had a bad feeling when he sat down afterwards and the entire bench was just laughing.

coming in a close second for this loss is Mike Carter for scheduling this game over break.  just an awful decision.

ORU was also hurt not having Jorden Kaufman, but there are no excuses TU wanted it more in the second half

is this the worst loss of the Sutton era; up 17 in the second half at home?

VERY disappointing loss - I'm still sick to my stomach hours later. This one will sting for quite awhile. I hate losing - I despise losing to Tulsa - and I loathe losing to Tulsa the way we did, showing arrogance and selfishness. Veteran leadership (Tree/DBH) failed miserably today. I had much higher expectations for this team. Yes, our bench is depleted due to injuries, but the problem is not with our bench.

The true character of this team will show itself in January; whether the boys will take this loss and learn from it or shudder with fear every time we have a double-digit lead. What they do with this loss will ultimately have a profound impact on the final W-L record... and right now, I hate to say that I don't have much confidence that they will get it figured out.

• Upvote 1

If Roundtree doesn't get in foul trouble vs. OU and TU, we win both of those games.  Roundtree has to play under control defensively and I thought he learned that lesson 2 years ago.  A couple of the calls on Roundtree were weak, but you can't give them the chance to make that call by being a little too out of control defensively.

This team needs mental toughness and discipline to hold on to a lead in the 2nd half.  However, the offense seems to be bogging down.  Right now the offense does not seem as fluid as in years past.  As I mentioned (3 times - oops) yesterday, when they settle for jump shots instead of driving to the basket, they run the risk of going cold and losing a big lead, and that is exactly what happened.  I was glad they were hitting the jump shots in the 1st half, but I knew if they kept that approach they could lose the lead in the 2nd half.  Then when they got more aggressive toward the end of the game they got to the line a few times and got an old-fashioned 3 point play, but the lead had already been lost and then the game was up for grabs and came down to a few possessions.

Should have won this game just like the OU game, but didn't play smart basketball.  Very disappointing.

Dropped a winnable game or 2 in Alaska, and dropped winnable games against OU and TU.  Better start winning the winnable games in the Southland. 

All I can say about yesterday's game is that I'm praying this morning for comfort and peace for ORU fans everywhere.

TheEagleman is beyond pissed....this team has almost ruined my holiday season....i watched the first half and had to leave for a family holiday party with ORU up 15...the game was well in hand....we were dominating and I had no worries....imagine my consternation when at the party watching the Maaco Las Vegas Bowl that i noticed the ESPN scrawl showing Tulsa winning 72-68....needless to say, my party mood was spoiled....TheEagleman could not believe it...I thought i had seen a mistake....so i had MrsEagleman check the score on her I-phone....when she confirmed the sad news.....i was shocked...you can't blow a 17 point 2nd half lead at home.....especially against a mediocre team like TU....so I guess that we are less than a mediocre team.....this is the worst loss in many years for me because I also detest TU....they are now laughing at us up at 11th and Harvard....this is a game that we no doubt should have won by double digits....I watched the first half....we have the better talent.....but it seems we have no heart.....TheEagleman needs to focus his priorities on other things this holiday season and maybe beyond that....I am weary of heartbreaking losses and a team that fails to show up when it needs to...the players are surely to blame....but the coaching staff also has to look itself in the mirror....from the sounds of it, DBH is a total tool....can't wait till he graduates....and Roundtree just continues to take dumb fouls like the one he committed in the first minute of the game about 40 ft from the basket.....time to take a break from these guys....they will likely get rolled again at Memphis Friday night...why even waste the time to watch....they clearly don't care if they play 40 minutes with heart.....ORU basketball tore mine out yesterday and from the sounds of the comments above, many others in the ORU faithful are dejected and disgusted today......the ORU squad just gave us a big HUMBUG on Saturday at Mabee Center instead of what could have been a wonderful Holiday win.....and the sight of all those empty gold seats should be a disgrace to Mike Carter who scheduled this game 3 days before Christmas with no students around.....Humbug to him, too......it's time for TheEagleman to foucus on the REAL meaning of Christmas and take a much needed break from ORU roundball....at 5-6 this team has been a serious disappointment...we should be at least 7-4....anyway, enough of my ranting....Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night....I hope DBH and the rest of this crew enjoy their holiday turkey.....no more ORU basketball for me until 2013..... :puke:  :puke:  :puke:

I've been waiting to post until my blood pressure came down.

24 hours later, I'm still waiting.

Could be a while.

One word does keep coming to mind, over and over again:

"Disgusted".

And, for the record, I ain't just talking about the team's performance on the court.

More later...maybe.

oh yeah...one more word....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!...... :puke:

I've been waiting to post until my blood pressure came down.

24 hours later, I'm still waiting.

Could be a while.

One word does keep coming to mind, over and over again:

"Disgusted".

And, for the record, I ain't just talking about the team's performance on the court.

More later...maybe.

I am very ineterested to hear your thoughts.

One thing for certain, it is becoming very concerning with this team getting big leads and losing. Especially at home, first OU, now TU. Those should have been two nice W's...

Fingers crossed that we can get it figured out. This team has the ability to do special things.

Appreciate your optimism, Voice...but face facts.....a team with no heart that blows big leads to in state rivals OU and TU on their home court isn't destined for anything special....mediocre effort begats mediocre results.....this ORU squad needs a heart transplant.....I hope a few of them get coal in their stockings.....TheEagleman is still disgusted...... :puke:

Wow - This one hurts. To be up by 17 points and then collapse is painful. Lots of factors went into this debacle - but the players shoulder most of the blame. It still rankles me that our athletic department folded like a cheap suit and  acquiesced to the game date with TU. Our upper classmen did not provide leadership and showed little to no care/emotion about the game. Their nonchalance and lack of intensity in the second half was disheartening. I also think we could have tried to use a zone defense at times since we seemed unable to stop their drives to the basket. Our players looked lost on defense and we were out of position for rebounds - so a zone could not have hurt us that much worse.

We have to remember, we are playing a bunch of young guys, especially at the most important position in college baskeball, the point guard.

Not only that, but if Tree stays out of foul trouble, we LIKELY win both games and probably beat TU by a BUNCH.

Just need to circle the wagons. Fix a few things. And, in my opinion, settle on a point guard and go with him 30+ minutes a game. Give him the team and tell him that he is the man.

Wow - This one hurts. To be up by 17 points and then collapse is painful. Lots of factors went into this debacle - but the players shoulder most of the blame. It still rankles me that our athletic department folded like a cheap suit and  acquiesced to the game date with TU. Our upper classmen did not provide leadership and showed little to no care/emotion about the game. Their nonchalance and lack of intensity in the second half was disheartening. I also think we could have tried to use a zone defense at times since we seemed unable to stop their drives to the basket. Our players looked lost on defense and we out of position for rebounds - so a zone could not have hurt us that much worse.

Yeah, an arena full of our students, going nuts (especailly when we got up on them or when they were making a run), wouldn't have hurt.

But ultimately, the player's needed to step up...

I hate to question a team's "heart".

That implies they are cowards, or don't care.

This team is neither:  they do play hard, and they seem to genuinely dislike losing.

But they do not, however, play tough (physically or mentally), or smart when it counts.

As for losing big leads, I always look to two areas:  effective point guard play, and inspired coaching.

Frankly, BOTH were in short supply in the second half of Saturday's game...