ORU vs. TU

Old Titan

Tulsa's recent home wins over Missouri State and TCU have some of the Golden Hurricane fans feeling pretty good about themselves - so much so that they've already started a thread on their message board to talk about (among other things) how much more this game means to ORU than it does to them.

Which begs to question: is that assertion not somewhat disspelled by the fact they've started a thread about ORU two weeks before the game, and before anyone over here even gave a rat's pa-too-tee?

I think most ORU fans are a little more concerned about playing the undefeated Arizona Wildcats in Tuscon first, thank you very much.

Anyway, here are some of their "me-thinks-they-doth-protest-too-much" nuggets so far (I did not post the more reasonable posts, because where's the fun in reading those?):

"With this game over Christmas break & Manning ball starting to energize the TU fan base, I think there will be as many TU fans as ORU fans attending. Should be a fun game."

"I feel good about this game. After all, it's only ORU. I wish we'd adopt the bad ass attitude that Arkansas has regarding football, and only play these games at the Reynilds Center, if at all."

"This game definitely has more upside for ORU and more downside for TU. Similar to Arkansas playing TU in football."

"ORU is a winnable game. ORU is soft in the middle, especially defensively and on the boards. Roundtree doesn't like the physical play and if Bell-Holter is convinced he can shoot the 3, that will make it easier. That game should come down to the wire."

*sigh*

I didn't miss playing these guys ONE BIT last year, I see VERY little to gain in beating them again this year, and if we lose to them, it would be our first and WORST RPI loss of the year so far.

With that in mind, tell me again why the heck WE need to play THEM every year?

• Upvote 1

I have watched them a couple of times this year, including this weekend's 1-point home win over a bad TCU team. I think TU fans will be brought back to earth, soon. So far, they've feasted on a VERY soft schedule.

I also saw that thread. And, I hear where you are coming from. But, it IS a fun rivalry game with lots of history. Plus, it's generally one of our best home draws. No good reason not to play them.

Yeah . . . they can be real morons, but it's important to keep this game as it's our only legitimate long-time rivalry, now that we're starting over in a new conference.

Although, I'd be willing to give up the single game altogether if OKC and Tulsa could agree to a multi-year tournament that included: ORU, TU, OSU, ARK, Wichita St, and maybe a TX/Dallas based school.

I'd be THRILLED to see the series dropped. Serves no useful purpose any longer, other than to give the TU faithful an opportunity to post gibberish like OT quoted. I especially liked this one: I wish we'd adopt the bad ass attitude that Arkansas has regarding football, and only play these games at the Reynolds Center, if at all. I agree completely, buddy - NOT AT ALL!! The mere suggestion that they somehow have that kind of power or influence to wield is absolutely hysterical.

Unfortunately, the powers that be don't agree with us, OT. :-(

I remember the last Mayor's Cup played at the Mabee Center. In 2010, TU came in with Wojcik's best team featuring Jordan, Uzoh and Hurtt that won 20 games and went to the NIT versus a very young ORU team decimated by injuries and playing only 7 guys.

TU had to claw back from a 15-point deficit to eek out a win.

Their team and fans then proceeded to share in a very boisterous celebration.

That's about when I stopped taking TU fans seriously.

We've taken a back seat to our "crosstown rivals" for most of the last 40 yrs.....for one, I am sick of it....TheEagleman says there's only one thing left for ORU to do....kick the crap out of them on 12/22!!!.... :clap:

TU is our cross-town rival. Why in the world wouldn't we play them. If we think it makes sense to play Wichita State, OSU, OU, Arkansas, Missouri State, etc. because they are close geographically, why wouldn't we play the team 8 miles away. When we beat TU this year, that victory will mean a lot because of the history of the rivalry. Don't let a few comments from a message board cloud your judgment. We probably each know/work with/go to church with several TU grads and it makes for some fun and friendly banter as the game comes around each year. This game is good for the city of Tulsa.

Because I disagree with you doesn't mean my judgment is clouded, Jason. Treatment of ORU as the red-headed stepchild extends far beyond a few people on the message board. Otherwise, why were we dissed last year, and are playing THIS year during the Christmas break, when ORU will not have cheerleaders, student marketing students to run time-out and halftime activities, no Eli, and so on. The same will likely be true for TU. Attendance will likely be low. After this year, the game is SO important that it's played the first game of the season - exhibition-game style, you might say. THESE decisions didn't come from message board fans.

As far as I'm concerned they can find other teams to play under those conditions. We don't "need" the game badly enough to accept absolutely every condition on their terms. Simple as that. I don't consider that "clouded" judgment.

• Upvote 1

TU is bringing cheerleaders and a mascot.

Great . . . |(

Maybe we can get the Jenks cheerleaders and the Broken Arrow Tiger to fill in for us.

I don't think we are going that route, although I thought the high school cheerleaders last year were great!

Just me, you, and the TU cheerleaders, my man...unless we can get Richie Mc to don the Eli suit!?!

i've come around to TMH's view on playing TU. this current 6 year deal is a joke. i'd be ok with Mr. Carter ending the series upon it's completion.

We are definitely stuck with a somewhat unfavorable 6-year contract but we have a great opportunity to pick up a win this year. I expect we would be favored at home this year.

While for some reason we often start out slow at the beginning of each year, it will probably be the first game on TUs schedule for the next 5 years as well so it is still a fair playing field. With our program playing at a fairly successful level right now I would expect ORU to win at least 3 and probably 4 of the next 6 match ups and so I don't understand why it wouldn't make sense to take advantage of those opportunities to enjoy the sweet taste of victory.

I would think that the Oklahoma based players would be fired up for the game but maybe I am wrong. No doubt that TU dragging their feet and not "finding a date" that worked last year was disrespectful to ORU and for a week or two local sports radio at least called them out on that.

Of course Wojcik, Bubba, and Ross are all gone now so maybe things will change in the future, but I won't hold my breath. Nonetheless, the game should still be played.

I don't mind playing the game - rivalries are good for fans and develop a sense of pride for the school. My issue is that our current athletic department rolled over in their negotiations with TU for scheduling this contest. Their attitude was to play the game regardless. The consequence is that the current senior class at ORU has never experienced an ORU vs. TU game at home. How is that supposed to engender a sense of school pride or even awareness of the rivalry? The decision to play this game on December 22nd boggles the mind.

I love this game, are you kidding me? Anytime, anywhere. It's a crosstown rival, its a good game every year for the most part. The game over Christmas break is too bad but maybe local high school students would attend instead of on a weeknight. Let's go win this game, it's that simple, why do we care what some trolls on another messageboard think.

I think this old video of the first-ever meeting of the two teams in 1974 sums up the true TU attitude about BEATING ORU: at the end of the game, their fans storm the court, and a couple of their players cut down the nets on both ends! :rofl:

In 30+ years of watching TU and ORU play games, I don' think ORU fans and players have ever done anything similar (though I think a few students did leak onto the floor to join in the clebration after Nate Binum's late three gave ORU an improbable win at the Mebee Center in 2000)