Tim Gill article in Tulsa World

tmh8286

You and everyone else are welcome to have whatever opinion you want. If your comment was positive then I obviously wasn't talking to you but there were some comments that spoke to things that people obviously didn't know about. I have always taken the high road in regards to ORU and what went on behind closed doors when I asked to leave to go to Arkansas and things that occurred after I graduated. I guess Bill wrote this article with a certain vibe because he is aware of some of those things but out of respect for me and me asking him not to he did not print any of that. My feelings toward ORU have nothing to do with the Hall of Fame. I am very appreciate of the fans that were here for us during those 4 years. I have very fond memories of my teammates, the fans and what we were able to accomplish! Big turnaround!

Well said!

But, please, try to understand: if we eliminated everyone on here who "spoke to things they obviously dont know about", then Joel Barker would be the only person left to post anything.

I honestly don't have an issue with the Institution of ORU as it is a wonderful place. I have forgiven the people who I felt did not handle situations in a honest and fair manner and most of those people are no longer at ORU. I will be honest and tell you it took years for me to do this as these weren't petty transgressions but I was able to truly forgive them. With all that being said the main reason I have not been around the program is my previous job required me to travel 40wks a year and I simply didn't have the time. I am open to being involved with the program in the future if the right opportunity presents itself.

• Upvote 2

like everyone else, i hope Tim and ORU athletics can reconcile.  he is an all time great and deserves to be recognized at his alma mater as such.  other than Mr. Carter, i can't think of who is still around the basketball program or the school administration from that time. 

Tim is right that we don't know what happened and i'm sorry for any poor treatment he received from ORU or if he feels slighted by any of the fans here.  like ORUTerry said above, ORU needs Tim and the other legends around the program.

the link is dead at the start of the thread, but here is a great story if your memory is fuzzy like mine with the details from another legend, Bill Connors of the TulsaWorld: LINK

That's bizarre....there is certainly a lot of info that we don't know or understand....it would surely be interesting to know the truth after 17 years but it's certainly Mr. Gill's option to keep those things to himself....he surely was one of ORU's top 15 basketball players of all time and deserves to be recognized in the Hall of Fame....best wishes and God speed, Tim...... :clap:

The level of how bizarre that article was smells of a cover up!! Ha, it don't seem right because it isn't right. I can promise you my conversations with Bill Self and Nolan did not happen the way the article portrayed. This is the story that Bill and Nolan wanted the public to hear which is understandable for Nolan as he was in the middle of NCAA investigation so publicly he needed to distance himself from any negative media. Coach self was just being Coach self, he had a saying referring to the media that he could sell ice to an Eskimo. I won't say more than that as it is old news at this point.

• Upvote 1

I would like to say that as a coach I have nothing but respect for bill self. I played as a pro for Rick Barry and Dennis Johnson, both NBA greats as well as Bill Kluckas a legendary pro coach in the cba ranks. Coach selfs ability to prepare a team and develop a strategy to win was second to none. I don't want that to be lost in any of this. There is a reason coach self is at Kansas! The man can coach some basketball.

i agree that Self and Richardson were most likely in spin mode.  everyone knew Self was not long for ORU and would do anything to land the next job in the coaching rung.  the loss of his two best players would have stuck him at ORU for a few more years  and he knew it.  he could not sign that Tulsa contract fast enough when that job opened up later in the year despite his loyalty speech to Gill and Walls.

i read an article where Self admitted that he was too tough on his players at ORU and had to adjust his style later on in his coaching career.  whether he has reached out to all his former players, who knows.   how good could those teams have been if Spanich had stuck around?

i was able to find the article. here is his quote:

"My handling of people was bad," Self said. "I did some things to them that nobody does to anybody in today's time. I was mean to those guys. They look back and look at it as battle scars. I look back now, and I can't believe I did that to them."

He was a demanding coach and definitely made us thick skinned. I honestly wouldn't say that he was out of line for any of his basketball methods. He was tough and if you weren't mentally tough you couldn't play for him but nothing out of line took place. The biggest difference now is you can't get those all Americans to play for you acting like that so he had to change his approach. It's working whatever he is doing.