Bill Self / James Kruse

OKC Eagle

The league commissioner was the son of Valpo's athletic director.

That figures...Homer Drew and the entire group were a bunch of commies.... :-P

• 3 years later...

I am a little late to this conversation but I do find it amusing. My mother always taught me that if you don't have anything nice to say to not say anything at all. This is the reason none of you know the truth about what went on between me and ORU. I don't want to make the university, it's admin or previous coaches look bad so I stay quiet. My quiet approach, I see has allowed people with no clue to make assessments on why they feel things are the way they are between ORU and myself. Let me just say you are incorrect, my reasons are more than valid and all of them were violations of principles of right and wrong not perceptions of them. With that said my mother also taught me something some of you should subscribe to, if you don't know what happened then you should keep your mouth shut and not speak on it.

It is true that we know little of what was truly happening at the time. Our perspective was gleaned from what we read in the newspaper. I apologize for saying anything to offend or demean you. That was not my intent. I should have kept silent.

ORU fans have always admired your hard work and tenacity on the court. Everyone always said that your work ethic was second to none. (I think I remember a newspaper story about how you practiced shooting so much that your finger tips were bloodied. Even if it isn't true, it's a great story.) And your shooting percentage from behind the 3-point line was amazing - actually improving with each year. We could certainly use another Tim Gill on the court this (or any other) year.

No need to apologize. No offense taken. I just wanted to say enough to let people know that there are legitimate reasons for the rift between ORU and me. I simply choose not to put that info out in the public but I am in no way bitter tho and truly wish the program the best of luck. Also I appreciate your kind words and that story was true as I made 1000 3's per day leading into my freshman year. I loved my teammates and the fans as we all know what it was like when we got there and TOGETHER we turned it around. It wasn't easy but we made the program relevant again. Fans stuck with us through that process and I will always remember that.

Those teams did make ORU basketball relevant again. The program had essentially died. In fact, the excitement created by those players (and coaches) brought me back to ORU. Those were fun teams to watch with McClellen at point, Gill shooting from the outside, Crenshaw driving to the basket and Walls grabbing rebounds. Good times.

There've been a lot of fun times and great plays over the years that I've been following ORU basketball, but to this day I believe my all-time favorite moment was the time that Tim got the ball on a break-away, with Rocky, I'm pretty sure it was, trailing just behind. Tim laid the ball off the glass and Rocky followed for a THUNDERING dunk!! Still gives me goose bumps thinking about it!

Those were indeed great teams and good times!

It seems a lot of our good teams involved two stars with strong supporting players (Gill & Walls, Tutt & Green, etc). Let's hope that Emegano & Billbury are added to that list.

It seems a lot of our good teams involved two stars with strong supporting players (Gill & Walls, Tutt & Green, etc). Let's hope that Emegano & Billbury are added to that list.

Most really good teams have two legitimate, start-for-most-any-team stars.

Really great teams have three.

once heard a coach say (Rick Carlisle maybe???) that to win championships on any level of basketball you need 2 greats, a very good, and the right role players.  he said finding players who will accept the job of complimentary roles can be the hardest part of the equation to fill.

i think ORU has 2 great summit league players in Obi and Korey (1st team caliber).  we will have to find out if they have a very good (2nd team summit league) and the right role players.