ORU sprinter Bain takes silver spotlight - Tulsa World (8-29-2008)

ORUTerry

ORU sprinter Bain takes silver spotlight 

20080829_b1andretti29.jpg

Olympic silver medalist and Oral Roberts University student Andretti Bain displays his hardware to the media while he talks about his experience in Beijing on Thursday at ORU's Mabee Center. Bain, who represented the Bahamas, medaled in the 1,600-meter relay. Cory Young/Tulsa World

(excerpt)

By GLENN HIBDON World Sports Writer

8/29/2008

Last Modified: 8/29/2008  2:57 AM

Andretti Bain held up his Olympic silver medal for the television cameras and smiled. It was the kind of grin that represents pure, uncomplicated joy.

Bain and his Bahamas teammates finished second behind the United States in the 1,600-meter relay at the Beijing Games. The performance was an athletic success not only for Bain, but for his country and Oral Roberts University as well.

"I'd like to thank God for blessing me," Bain said at media conference Thursday. "I'd like to thank my coaches, my family and my friends. And thank you for coming here today. It means a whole lot to me."

The NCAA indoor and outdoor champion at 400 meters last season, Bain led off the final leg of the relay final with a time of 45.9 seconds. ORU coach Joe Dial, not present for the race, saw it as a fitting end to a magical season.

Link to Tulsa World Sports Extra

Bain told Dial and the audience he will donate $3,000 to the ORU track program now that he is a professional athlete. He already is pointing toward the 2012 Olympic Games in London.

What a great ambassador for ORU....

• 3 years later...

Anybody know if Andretti Bain will be running for the Bahamas again at the London Games?.... :nerd: